2001 Rubicon shifting problem

D

Doug Broussard

My rubicon will not shift, it shifts as long as I don't go over about 20mph. Will someone please help? Thank you

Doug Broussard

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
My rubicon will not shift, it shifts as long as I don't go over about 20mph. Will someone please help? Thank you

Doug Broussard

Does it have the ESP automatic?

Could be a distribution valve, or ECU, but more than likely a sensor

Throttle opening (throttle sensor)
Vehicle velocity (speed sensor)
Engine speed (rpm) (ignition pulse generator)
Hondamatic motor-swash-plate angle (angle sensor)
Gear position (gear position switch)
Control mode and map (mode/map switch)

I have heard of the angle senor going on a few of these machines but I would start with speed sensor, try giving the dealer a shout

Last edited:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check for stored codes:

1. Put the gear shift lever in neutral (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and the ignition switch OFF (vehicle at a stop).
2. While pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP) simultaneously, turn the ignition key to the on position.
3. Release the UP and DOWN switches immediately, then at the same time push both the UP and DOWN shift switches again and hold form more than 2 seconds.
4. The problem code is displayed by a certain number of blinks “ - - “ on the gear indicator, which indicates the problem code by the number of blinks. If “N” (neutral) stays ON on the position indicator, the retrieval process was not correctly performed. Repeat the procedures from step one at this time.)
5. When the problem code(s) displays, release the shift switches.
You should see “ - - “ for approximately 3 seconds then off, then the “ - - “ should flash, once for code one, twice for code two and so on. The engine control module (ECM) can store two different codes. If your ECM has stored two different codes, the first code displayed is the most recent and the second code is the earlier code. Write them down.

To Erase the Problem Codes
1. Push and hold the UP and DOWN shift switches simultaneously for 3 seconds of more while the problem code is being displayed (i.e., “ - - “ blinking on the gear position indictor).
2. When the erasure is completed, the blinking pattern changes to the erasure confirmation blink.
3. Turn the ignition off.

Codes you might see:
Code 1 - Ignition Pulse Generator system
Code 2 - Speed Sensor System
Code 3 - Gear Position Switch System
Code 4 - Throttle Sensor System
Code 5 - Angle Sensor System (Motor lock i.e., angle sensor, wiring, ECM, control
motor, motor transmission section, transmission unit)
Code 6 - Angle Sensor System (swash plate angle, sensor / wiring)
Code 7 - ESP shift switch system
Code 8 - ECM EEPROM
Code 9 - ECM voltage converter circuit
Code 10 - ECM fail-safe relay circuit
Code 11 - ECM motor drive circuit
Code 12 - ECM CPU

Codes 3, 5 and 6 are common.

I suggest that if any codes are found that you take the machine into a shop for component replacment as the ECM will have to be recalibrated (initalized).

If no codes a found then change the oil and filter. Take an oil sample and have it anyalzed for iron, nickle and chromium.

If any high levels are found then it's time to consider your options, and do not run it; these engines will eat themselves up fast if filings start circulating. We just had one in the shop that would have easily exceeded $6K to rebuild the engine/transmission.

D

Doug Broussard

Thank you very much. I can fix it now.

Top Bottom