2001 Grizzly any good?

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking at picking up a 2000-2001 Grizzly 600,has 2600kms.What is this quad worth?
Has no storage box,no winch,needs front brakes.
Looking for some input if this year of quad is good,any pros and cons would help out,Thanks alot

Attachments

• Y600r.jpg
    Y600r.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Y600Left.jpg
    Y600Left.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 116

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I think summit rick has one in the same year.Ithink that machine has drum brakes,that will probably be the worst problem.pretty low k for that year,,my 07 has 2,600 k onit.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
He should want around $3500...you should want to pay around $2500...

Anywhere around $3k would be my guess.............

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha did such a good job in re-designing this machine into the 660, that there is only one pro; Price. Evryone prefers the 660 so there is no resale market for the 600 and therefore they can be found for cheap.

Cons: brakes are expensive to maintain you unless you can live without them, PITA to work on, oil/air cooled only result in overheating, rough ride, high center of gravity, and poor turning radius.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Yamaha did such a good job in re-designing this machine into the 660, that there is only one pro; Price. Evryone prefers the 660 so there is no resale market for the 600 and therefore they can be found for cheap.

Cons: brakes are expensive to maintain you unless you can live without them, PITA to work on, oil/air cooled only result in overheating, rough ride, high center of gravity, and poor turning radius.

In that case offer him a case of beer and a pack of smokes.......

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was also looking at 03 Kodiak 450,but i think it might be under powered and i could've had that for about $2600-$2800 had 3500km with a winch,no box.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was also looking at 03 Kodiak 450,but i think it might be under powered and i could've had that for about $2600-$2800 had 3500km with a winch,no box.

600 grizzly is pretty bullet proof, doesnt have the most plush suspension. but its tough, and reliable, we rented 6 of them for 3 yrs and they were "tested" lol..... brakes, cables, front wheel brgs. are the most common wear parts on them, check the air box if the filters dirty, thats a tell tale sign that it was neglected.. or may have some piston scoring,,

We found in using and selling them that there were a few that smoked on start up and then cleared up, this is most likely from improper break in but they are still going....

The 600 is no slouch, and will give the 660 a run for its money, up side, lots of performance upgrades and parts are cheaper cause its an older model...

rob350

Reaction score
Like TT said, they are built pretty strong. When the 98 Grizzly 600 came out, it was the biggest utility ATV available.

The biggest problem is that many of these 600's will go through a engine rebuild or two in their life. This is probably due to not having water cooling, they are easier to over heat.

1 drum in the back, 2 discs in the front.
The 4x4 system does NOT have a diff lock, so you will only have basically a 3 wheel drive. It should have a clutch pack in the front to give it limited slip, but I have heard of them either wearing out or not working (possibly wrong diff oil?).
Has low range, no park option. Has a lock for the rear cable brake instead.
One interesting feature, is that they have sight glasses instead of dip sticks. two lines in the sight glass, a full-engine cold/off line, and a full-engine hot and running line.

Top Bottom