2001 edge 600 not quite what it used to be

KDUBS77

Reaction score
I've got a 01 Edge with 5000 mile on it that is mostly stock. Stock jetting, boost bottle, clutch kit, and tempa-flow installed. I've used tis setup for over 5 or six years with no trouble.

The problem Ive been having is a very low Idle, wants to die! I have cleaned the carbs, checked the carb synch with the fingers, all seems fine. Adjusting the idle does not seem to help any. I also checked the reeds and carb boots and cleaned the exht vlves. I noticed exhst vlve bellow slightly disformed and needs to be replaced(orig.) I replaced the other one due to a tear 2 yrs ago (should have replaced both!)

On a side note, I noticed a little coolant on the head, I think it came up thru the bolts on top, but not sure.

Water pump, gasket failure, vaccum leak, Fuel pump/filter? Would a gasket failure cause this?I think I am done riding for the season, what would you recomend servicing on the sled. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I truely still do love the ol' 600! Thanks!

KDUBS77

Reaction score
Help a 'newbie" out would ya! Anything. Something. I know this is a fairly common problem with these and want tonarrow down the possible cause(s). Thanks again.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Help a 'newbie" out would ya! Anything. Something. I know this is a fairly common problem with these and want tonarrow down the possible cause(s). Thanks again.

If it is still the original sled, perhaps you need to change out your pistons, rings and gaskets. It isn't too expensive and it will keep the sled alive for a few more years.

KDUBS77

Reaction score
I did check compression. I let the sled warm up. Shut it down and installed guage and pulled it over a few times. I got a reading of about 123 to 125 on the mag and pto. I was thinking the same thing. What is the average life you'd expect out of it? Thanks again.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did check compression. I let the sled warm up. Shut it down and installed guage and pulled it over a few times. I got a reading of about 123 to 125 on the mag and pto. I was thinking the same thing. What is the average life you'd expect out of it? Thanks again.

If the machine has 500 miles, then it should be time to change the pistons and rings, It should then be good for a couple more seasons after that...

grygoose

Reaction score
I run an 05 RMK 900. Tend to try and change the piston and rings every two years! not needed. But for best performance, it has worked! other than the regular down fall on those guys!

KDUBS77

Reaction score
So as long as I'm removing the cylinders, you'd might as well replace the pistons at this point!! Polaris or Weisco or does it not matter. I know the cylinders are plated. I would always assume on going with the better part.

powderpusher

Reaction score
Weisicos are allright ive used them in the past but ive had good luck with polaris pistons also,if your sled is still running 125 psi when warm iwould say just replace the rings and gaskets,but you also mentioned coolant on top head bolts,with 125 psi and leaking head bolts you would probaly get away with just replacing the gaskets as they are leaking and most likely causing some compression loss,so when you take the heads off and their is no scarring on pistons i would only replace the rings and gaskets ,why buy parts not needed,also check your reed valves they could be cause of your power loss,good luck

Top Bottom