2000 RMK 800 drive belt

zulu19

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just picked up a 2000 RMK 800 and think it is time to change the drive belt on it. Not sure how to do it if anyone has any tips, there is no little tool like on the ski doo video I just watched, just three bolts on the secondary clutch? Thanks for your help. Zulu

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lock your parking brake
Next, on your "DRIVEN" clutch, firmly grab the section closest to the centre of the sled and rotate it clock-wise.
The clutch should open, and let the belt drop to the bottom. This should give you enogh slack in the belt to wrestle it off the "DRIVE" clutch.

Put the new one on the "DRIVE" clutch first, then seperate the "DRIVEN" clutch as your working the belt onto it.

Hope this helps.
It would be well worth your while to purchase a polaris "Deep Snow" manual for your year of sled......invaluable.

zulu19

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I have been looking all over the internet to find a decent step by step manual with not much luck. Any idea where I can get one?

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I have been looking all over the internet to find a decent step by step manual with not much luck. Any idea where I can get one?

I got mine right from my polaris dealer, about 59.00 if i remember......worth it's weight in gold

zulu19

Reaction score
I will have to call and order one! Thanks again.

Last thing, I did follow your steps to put the new belt on and got it on there. I am just wondering if there is a way to tighten it up a bit once it is on, it is a little more slack then the old one.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's looser right now because it hasn't settled into the clutches properly. If you want, fire it up, let it warm up, TAKE THE PARKING BRAKE OFF, lean it on it's side and blip the throttle a few times.......this will let the belt "settle" into the clutches

zulu19

Reaction score
Sounds good thanks. Also just read up on the deflection on the clutches, found a polaris manual online that is pretty decent. Thanks again for your help,Zulu.

zulu19

Reaction score
Last question for you Heavy D. I did what you said and fired it up, it seemed to settle in a bit with a little throttle but there is a good amount of deflection. I see the driven clutch is at a 3 setting out of 5, the belt is seeming to fit but wondering if I should adjust this at all? Thanks again,. Z

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is going to control how fast the secondary opens in relation to the primary closing, on my 2001 I have it set on 4, but it all comes down to riding style, aggresiveness, and of course, personal prefferance.
Wait 'till u have some snow, take it for a ride, and play with it........you can't f it up.......if u don't like it put it back

Top Bottom