2 stroke vs. 4 stroke turbo 2013

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should give me some credit. I held back on this thread for weeks. Just letting the knowledgeable folks post. But this one got my fingers twitching lol

While I was reading his post I was thinking that you where going to like that post. I got to say I agree with you all the way.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And for Lunds last couple comments.... I am with maxwell on this one. This guy must ride boulder and frisby all day with groomed trails.

Hey now, it is true Boulder and Frisby have some smooth groomed trails, they also sport some of the best Tree riding out of ANY where in BC.

There can be 500people on Boulder that all zoom up to pound out the Alpine and I can Fawk around all day In fresh deep Pow,, Steep& technical terrain on the Viedaman and never even make it past the cabin.

Not everybody rides that Sh#t cause it not easy. I love alpine too mind you and 2strokes have no problem doing that ither.

Hill climbs are fun forsure, but these days we(back country sledders) are doing more&more Down Hill stuff, pushing the limits of what can be done, taking ski lines ext And Light weight shines for that particular type of "Alpine" riding.

4strokes have there place, but the 2stroke is still far more popular for "mountain riding" and for good reason.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2-strokes cost less than a turbo 4-stoke....so yes you will see more of them out there on the hills...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2-strokes cost less than a turbo 4-stoke....so yes you will see more of them out there on the hills...

LMFAO,,, Yeah thats it,,, the cost... thats why i have a 2stroke

:rolleyes:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty funny that I see a boosted 4 stroke in the trees almost everytime I ride good or bad weather and didn't cost $50K to build. We usually don't ride where there are roads, let alone cabins, so I couldn't tell you how many of each brand was sitting there. I guess you'd have to be hanging out at the cabin to know those stats anyway? Some people are starting to sound a lot like LHF around here.

If you can't ride the lumber on anything other than a stock 2 stroke ..............maybe you just can't ride....

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty funny that I see a boosted 4 stroke in the trees almost everytime I ride good or bad weather and didn't cost $50K to build. We usually don't ride where there are roads, let alone cabins, so I couldn't tell you how many of each brand was sitting there. I guess you'd have to be hanging out at the cabin to know those stats anyway? Some people are starting to sound a lot like LHF around here.

If you can't ride the lumber on anything other than a stock 2 stroke ..............maybe you just can't ride....

4strokes are capable forsure with a good rider,, Id still rather ride a 2stoke all day(most days) personally.

I really looked at 4stoke when cat came out with the t1100. Very close but no cigar(for me) Sure the viper may even be better but still not any lighter.

The issue I have(and most others have) is the wieght. People say you can't feel it in the deep< BS. It is managable in the deep snow would be more accurate. Why not go throw a 350chevy in the Sled,, you'll have plenty of "torque" then.

Im 240lbs and Muscular not a small guy.(and know how to ride better then most) And I just dont want to fight an extra 100lbs all day.

If they come out with a sub 500lbs dry 4stroke that still makes power I will start seriously looking at them.

Till then Ill pass.Just one mans opion tho. if you like the current 4stroke offering more than 2strokes then cant argue with that:beer:

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey now, it is true Boulder and Frisby have some smooth groomed trails, they also sport some of the best Tree riding out of ANY where in BC.

There can be 500people on Boulder that all zoom up to pound out the Alpine and I can Fawk around all day In fresh deep Pow,, Steep& technical terrain on the Viedaman and never even make it past the cabin.

Not everybody rides that Sh#t cause it not easy. I love alpine too mind you and 2strokes have no problem doing that ither.

Hill climbs are fun forsure, but these days we(back country sledders) are doing more&more Down Hill stuff, pushing the limits of what can be done, taking ski lines ext And Light weight shines for that particular type of "Alpine" riding.

4strokes have there place, but the 2stroke is still far more popular for "mountain riding" and for good reason.

So you're the tracks i see in my stomping grounds all the time! I ride in there almost exclusively sometimes, white out or clear its awesome in there. That being said, A two stroke in those trees is what sledding is all about. Yeah more HP and torque would be nice but it comes at a heavy cost. 2 strokes are lighter, cheaper to fix and more readily available. Are we saying you can only ride trees on a 2 stroke? Absolutesly not (except Maxwell, thats exactly what he's saying haha) What we are saying is that there are definite advantages to having less weight in the trees.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you're the tracks i see in my stomping grounds all the time! I ride in there almost exclusively sometimes, white out or clear its awesome in there. That being said, A two stroke in those trees is what sledding is all about. Yeah more HP and torque would be nice but it comes at a heavy cost. 2 strokes are lighter, cheaper to fix and more readily available. Are we saying you can only ride trees on a 2 stroke? Absolutesly not (except Maxwell, thats exactly what he's saying haha) What we are saying is that there are definite advantages to having less weight in the trees.

Im another guilty individual for tracking the chit out of those trees!! some of my best days have been back in there, lots to explore. My stock XM works awesome in the timber. I am tempted to boost like many of you, not ready yet though.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nope it's my tracks in there some of the time. I find the best riding in boulder the closest to the cabin. Everyone goes strait to turbo and Super Bowl and places like that and drive right past the good areas.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope it's my tracks in there some of the time. I find the best riding in boulder the closest to the cabin. Everyone goes strait to turbo and Super Bowl and places like that and drive right past the good areas.

Its funny how much that happens hey. Pretty much at every area too. There is some super fun riding not to far into one of our more popular riding areas. I could spend all day in there and people are always in such a hurry to ride by it and go ride 30k farther back. I dont get it.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im another guilty individual for tracking the chit out of those trees!! some of my best days have been back in there, lots to explore. My stock XM works awesome in the timber. I am tempted to boost like many of you, not ready yet though.

Ride one in there and you'll want one for sure :D, last time i was there i was the only one who could make it up off the trail, took 45 mins just to make a trail :D

SHHHHHHH stop telling people

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From a slightly different perspective: some of us (me) are getting old and wizzing in and out of trees all day USED to be fun and USED to be something we did all the time. Hell, I've made 40 different trails back into Area51 myself over the years...yes, on 2 stroke light sleds. BUT, with age come laziness. *sigh* I have to say that going to a boosted heavy sled has been the best injection of fun the sport has had for me in several years. I don't even bother trying tight trees...I got mine handling pretty good, and I think with my 17+ years experience I could probably make it happen to some extent without scarring up the plastic too badly, but there's just no need for it...hit the open slope and pin 'er.

Now I've ridden Deaner's neck of the woods a few times since my Mom lives there and I can honestly say that I will not be bringing the turbo-tank to Mom's place any time soon....tree riding takes on a whole new meaning to the Creston folks.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride one in there and you'll want one for sure :D, last time i was there i was the only one who could make it up off the trail, took 45 mins just to make a trail :D

SHHHHHHH stop telling people

Yah I mean those trees suck there's never no snow in them!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea if you guys are riding the trees near the cabin,,Shaede lane ext you won't be seeing my tracks except early season(dabensmiller was that your white pro with the "F#ck you and your 4stroke" stickers?thats funny lol seen you on shaede lane in november)

Im talking 5-10kms before the cabin,,,in the tooolies,,,off the Veideman.... Alot of advanced terrain,, cliffs, cravaces,, creeks,,steep and deep. Un tracked every time we hit it this year except in april. I only rode boulder 10days this year tho..too many other places to hit!! Cant wait fer snow!!:beer:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea if you guys are riding the trees near the cabin,,Shaede lane ext you won't be seeing my tracks except early season(dabensmiller was that your white pro with the "F#ck you and your 4stroke" stickers?thats funny lol seen you on shaede lane in november)

Im talking 5-10kms before the cabin,,,in the tooolies,,,off the Veideman.... Alot of advanced terrain,, cliffs, cravaces,, creeks,,steep and deep. Un tracked every time we hit it this year except in april. I only rode boulder 10days this year tho..too many other places to hit!! Cant wait fer snow!!:beer:

I usually end end up playing around there on the way out. Then end up running out of gas. Lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually end end up playing around there on the way out. Then end up running out of gas. Lol

We have so much fun we ride that sh#t all day. Went back to the lakes once this year to climb a shoot or two
and wound up riding the trees at the end of the lakes most the day...lol

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Shaede lane is basically my favorite place to ride now. Thats where i mean when i say "below the cabin" You know that one steep climb up that little gulley just off the trail? I broke that in on my turbo the first weekend i had it after the dump right before christmas... I dont think i've had a bigger smile it was insane in there had to turn out twice too. Once we got up to where it flattens out a bit i was the only one who could maneuver around up there without getting stuck there was so much snow haha.

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all have their positives and negatives. I think it comes down to personal choice and what kind of riding a person does. And what one can stomach to spend. I have nothing against two strokes, that ship just sailed for me years ago. For me when the snow is 3-4 ft deep there's nothing I'd rather be on than a well set up 4 stroke. There's nothing like smashing 3 ft of powder on a sled that makes 85 mph track speed. ;)

I will admit, they do make you more tired at the end off the day but I think thats mostly from trying to hold on to the bars.:d I think the ultimate for me, having so many good Apex parts would be to build one of Cpt Ron's tube chassis's. I rode Lairds quite a bit this year, it is awesome for boondocking. If I had to choose one sled to boondock with, that would be the one. There is just no replacement for that smooth arm ripping 4 cylinder 4 stroke torque.

The Viper is going to be a great sled too. I think they will take alot less work to make a great sled vs the Nytro. They dont need steering relocates, cooler deletes, full tunnel, a-arms, seat, drivers, etc. All the Viper needs is a CR tail section, some rails, a 3"x174 track, Baker rear scissor and a shimmed Boost-It kit. I would love to have a mostly pump gas one for a daily riding sled. They handle extremely well. I got to ride Neil's a few times las year, it was a lot of fun. If I were building from new, that would be my choice.

There are a lot of good deals to be had on Nytro's. You can get them with all the best custom parts. If I were buying used, I'd look for a twin to Lairds old one. Still an incredible sled, one of the best set up ones. You can buy them for like 15G and ride for years. The MCX are probably the best all around reliability, the Nytro motor doesn't need anything more than a shim. They work great. If I bought a used sled, it would be an MCX Nytro.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom