2 stroke vs. 4 stroke turbo 2013

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if views have changed with the new technology coming out these days. Been debating getting a turbo for a while now but been hesitant because of the wieght of the four strokes, and just didnt think 2 strokes were quite "there yet". With the way some of the 2 strokes kits are starting to look, are any of you die hard 4 stroke guys moving over and completely happy?

Some smoking deals on used 4s, but they still make me nervous. Heavy, and for how reliable they are supposed to be you sure see alot of them with rebuilt engines. But Im sure one would still be a tonne of fun to have as a second sled for those super deep days. Sure like how easy and cheap it is to change out a 2 stroke engine, and obviously the wieght.

I know this topic has been beaten to death. Just curious to hear peoples opinions now that 2 stroke kits are more advanced.

I think it only seems like there are lots of them with rebuilt engines because those are the only ones you see. As others have said, maintenance is a key point for any sled. If you are buying a turbo, double check installation quality/fit and finish and fix any of the little items. Guys who cheap out on the things like oil lines etc or run the fuel too close to the turbo, seem to be the ones who end up with issues, on both 2 and 4 strokes. No 2 stroke is going to last as long as a 4 stroke. Even things like changing reeds every 1000 kms isn't a big deal and is "preventative maintenance", but still a PITA. The 4 strokes I ride and have ridden with, good quality turbo installs and good kits have no issues. A 4 stroke is truly more turn key than a 2 stroke, 2 stroke lighter for sure, but with proper suspension set up, when riding they don't feel any different, in fact I prefer the 4 stroke because the torque is awesome.

As someone else mentioned, if you go cheap on the fuel or get greedy with the boost, you will wind up with issues on either side of the fence, one of the key reasons I like the 180/240 kits, guys can't really mess with them all day due to limitations built into the kit. Feed it good fuel and set it up right, then just ride it.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a few thoughts when deciding on either a 2-4stroke turbo or a 2-4stroke non turbo.
When it comes to reliability, there is no 2stroke that compare to 4stroke. The 4stroke sleds will take you into the farthest reach of the mountians and bring you back at the end of the day, a 2stroke you never know no matter how well maintained they are the motors will run 100% one minute and come appart the next. They are all well known for that.

The biggest factor in deciding on a turbo sled or not, 2-4stroke is your riding style.
Turbo's are a thrilling ride and fun but they have their place. If your thing is tree riding, which has gain in popularity since certain so called celebs have made video's on tree riding and are also giving clinic's hahaha.....thats funny. Then a turbo isn't for you.
Then your biggest decission is between a 2stroke or 4stroke and yes the 2stroke is imo the better option for tree riding. These new 2strokes are very well refined for it no matter what brand. While the 4strokers can do it, they were never intended to excel in the tree's like a 2stroke.

Now if your a nose bleed rider, in other words a true mountian rider and not into tree riding then a 4stroke turbo is an awsome choice and the choice of most true diehard mountian riders.
Why do i say it this way...???
Simple, tree riding is not true mountian riding or even close. Tree riding can be done anywhere trees can be found, anywhere on the continent that has snow.
Mountian riding is done on mountians, generaly ABOVE the tree line at elevation. Thus where the turbo advantage comes in.
Here is a question, why would you want to carrel a turboed 4stroke or even a turboed 2stroke in the trees?? A turboed sled needs room to strut it stuff or its a waste a turboed sled is indended to work at elevation in the open. Too pull steep inclines in the deep snow at high elevation that other N/A sleds can't do simply because of the loss in power experienced at those elevations.

My self, i run a 4stroke turbo because i ride mountian's, yes ABOVE tree line, alpine and some subalpine but very rarely will i ride in the tree's.
I love the ability to pull long grades onto ridges and dropping into the backside of a ridge into bowls of untouched powder. Something that the 4stroke turbo sled do best....way way better then any 2stroke. Plus at the end of a day it takes me home.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a few thoughts when deciding on either a 2-4stroke turbo or a 2-4stroke non turbo.
When it comes to reliability, there is no 2stroke that compare to 4stroke. The 4stroke sleds will take you into the farthest reach of the mountians and bring you back at the end of the day, a 2stroke you never know no matter how well maintained they are the motors will run 100% one minute and come appart the next. They are all well known for that.

The biggest factor in deciding on a turbo sled or not, 2-4stroke is your riding style.
Turbo's are a thrilling ride and fun but they have their place. If your thing is tree riding, which has gain in popularity since certain so called celebs have made video's on tree riding and are also giving clinic's hahaha.....thats funny. Then a turbo isn't for you.
Then your biggest decission is between a 2stroke or 4stroke and yes the 2stroke is imo the better option for tree riding. These new 2strokes are very well refined for it no matter what brand. While the 4strokers can do it, they were never intended to excel in the tree's like a 2stroke.

Now if your a nose bleed rider, in other words a true mountian rider and not into tree riding then a 4stroke turbo is an awsome choice and the choice of most true diehard mountian riders.
Why do i say it this way...???
Simple, tree riding is not true mountian riding or even close. Tree riding can be done anywhere trees can be found, anywhere on the continent that has snow.
Mountian riding is done on mountians, generaly ABOVE the tree line at elevation. Thus where the turbo advantage comes in.
Here is a question, why would you want to carrel a turboed 4stroke or even a turboed 2stroke in the trees?? A turboed sled needs room to strut it stuff or its a waste a turboed sled is indended to work at elevation in the open. Too pull steep inclines in the deep snow at high elevation that other N/A sleds can't do simply because of the loss in power experienced at those elevations.

My self, i run a 4stroke turbo because i ride mountian's, yes ABOVE tree line, alpine and some subalpine but very rarely will i ride in the tree's.
I love the ability to pull long grades onto ridges and dropping into the backside of a ridge into bowls of untouched powder. Something that the 4stroke turbo sled do best....way way better then any 2stroke. Plus at the end of a day it takes me home.

You have got to be fawking kidding me!!!!! If I drank coffee it would be all over my keyboard!!!! Omg!!! Some areas in this country you need to ride some fairly technical trees just to access the alpine!!! I have never heard such crap LOL.

A 2 stroke will go into any terrain a 4 stroke will but perhaps on the second run rather than the first. That's a hit I'm willing to take to have a more well rounded machine.

This is a classic example of why all the 4 strokes are crowded around the cabin when the weather socks in 50% of the time at least. You can't see In the open alpine in high altitude deep snow "turbo" country. So your machine is useless.

One thing I might agree with you with is reliability factor. Can't beat a 4 stroke but that's it. Even then they still do fail. Especially when turbo. On the other hand my rzr just blew an engine. 6000$ bill vs 2000$. So I guess of you get 3x + the miles out of yurt 4 stroke your ahead.

Ahh more on this later I have to work!

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all areas have a trail in, its completely up to you if you choose to ride in via trail into the alpine or ride through the tree's....give it up. All and all you don't need anything special to get into the alpine...i know this cause í guide in Sicamous and revelstoke most of the winter and have takin all kinds of sleds up......haha via trail. Point is some like trees some don't, good for you if you do.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have got to be fawking kidding me!!!!! If I drank coffee it would be all over my keyboard!!!! Omg!!! Some areas in this country you need to ride some fairly technical trees just to access the alpine!!! I have never heard such crap LOL.

A 2 stroke will go into any terrain a 4 stroke will but perhaps on the second run rather than the first. That's a hit I'm willing to take to have a more well rounded machine.

This is a classic example of why all the 4 strokes are crowded around the cabin when the weather socks in 50% of the time at least. You can't see In the open alpine in high altitude deep snow "turbo" country. So your machine is useless.

One thing I might agree with you with is reliability factor. Can't beat a 4 stroke but that's it. Even then they still do fail. Especially when turbo. On the other hand my rzr just blew an engine. 6000$ bill vs 2000$. So I guess of you get 3x + the miles out of yurt 4 stroke your ahead.

Ahh more on this later I have to work!

Well, that was predictable. LMFAO

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all areas have a trail in, its completely up to you if you choose to ride in via trail into the alpine or ride through the tree's....give it up. All and all you don't need anything special to get into the alpine...i know this cause í guide in Sicamous and revelstoke most of the winter and have takin all kinds of sleds up......haha via trail. Point is some like trees some don't, good for you if you do.

Ya groomed trails are great and account for about 20% of the riding areas. The rest are beat your way through the bush. Seen a few guys ditch there 4s after breaking trail into areas while the 2s guys were having the time of there lives breaking in. Then the 2 strokes rode around in 4s territory all day. But hey. Your right everyone rides the groomed trail to the goat path to the big bowls.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If this was 2002, I'd agree with you. Then again if you were right you'd see the manufacturers pushing 4 stroke sleds instead of 2 strokes. But all i've seen recently is Cat, Poo and Doo pushing their newest, lightest, fastest, most reliable 2 strokes yet. I have a 2 stroke turbo, so you could call me biased and I've only ridden it one season but in the tree terrain that we get into I'm so happy i dont have a 4 stroke. The extra weight would be murder to control. Yes I've seen 4 strokes in the trees before but some of us dont want to spend an extra 50k on a sled.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So to go back to the original intention of this thread.............what Im getting back from everyone is that even though 2 stroke kits have come a long way, they are still in a different league than the 4 strokers? The reason I asked is you see the videos of Neil flying up those big chutes running 8lbs, and it sure doesnt look like the 4 bangers have anything on him. 2 stroker would be nice because you do have the best of both worlds. But I guess they still dont stack up to the big fellas? If our riding was a little more open here I would be all over a yammi, but some of the spots we need to get through to get to the good areas is really tight.

Might just buy a lawnmower instead and ride the old girl for one more season. :)

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deaner it would come down to power levels not reliability. If you are doing a 240 or less, why waste your time.... Really! At 5-6lbs most 2stroke turbos are 2-210hp with a wet weight on 550lbs and these are pump gas. So a 240hp nytro run in at what 650+ wet weight. The 2 stroke is a more capable sled, meaning bone stock with a turbo only vs a bone stock nytro with a turbo only.

And for Lunds last couple comments.... I am with maxwell on this one. This guy must ride boulder and frisby all day with groomed trails.

As for reliability statements, i just dont get it. I mean I have a over of 9000km clocked on my 08 big bore 860, a engine which people say is a ticking time bomb and it only has one preventative Maintenace rebuild.... That's it, pull n go. Like I stated some time ago, there a lot of 4stroke turbos in kijiji quoting "engine rebuild" with less than :5000km on them

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Im not buying anything until I can ride something that really impresses me. Im curious to try out the aerocharger and TSS XMs. Until then.........this is gonna be my new ride!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deaner it would come down to power levels not reliability. If you are doing a 240 or less, why waste your time.... Really! At 5-6lbs most 2stroke turbos are 2-210hp with a wet weight on 550lbs and these are pump gas. So a 240hp nytro run in at what 650+ wet weight. The 2 stroke is a more capable sled, meaning bone stock with a turbo only vs a bone stock nytro with a turbo only.

And for Lunds last couple comments.... I am with maxwell on this one. This guy must ride boulder and frisby all day with groomed trails.

As for reliability statements, i just dont get it. I mean I have a over of 9000km clocked on my 08 big bore 860, a engine which people say is a ticking time bomb and it only has one preventative Maintenace rebuild.... That's it, pull n go. Like I stated some time ago, there a lot of 4stroke turbos in kijiji quoting "engine rebuild" with less than :5000km on them

I totally agree. I was really surprised when I rode a friends MCX 240 nytro. It really didnt impress me in the least. But on the other hand I got to take Addrenaline addictions (Dukes) strung out apex for a boot.......holy freakin cow. So if I ever do end up on a four stroke she isnt going to be running no 10psi.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. I was really surprised when I rode a friends MCX 240 nytro. It really didnt impress me in the least. But on the other hand I got to take Addrenaline addictions (Dukes) strung out apex for a boot.......holy freakin cow. So if I ever do end up on a four stroke she isnt going to be running no 10psi.

Totally agree... I had the chance to rip a day with a guy who had a nypex at 17lbs.... That was incredible. But we got a talking, his maintenance schedule was insane for that level of boost and riding.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So to go back to the original intention of this thread.............what Im getting back from everyone is that even though 2 stroke kits have come a long way, they are still in a different league than the 4 strokers? The reason I asked is you see the videos of Neil flying up those big chutes running 8lbs, and it sure doesnt look like the 4 bangers have anything on him. 2 stroker would be nice because you do have the best of both worlds. But I guess they still dont stack up to the big fellas? If our riding was a little more open here I would be all over a yammi, but some of the spots we need to get through to get to the good areas is really tight.

Might just buy a lawnmower instead and ride the old girl for one more season. :)

I've ridden a super charged Nytro and it felt like a pig. But After 2500 problem free KM on my TSS, i can honestly say i'll always have a turbo. But yeah ride one before you buy one. I went in blind and it was an awesome decision. :D

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373403844.978949.jpg

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that's some funny sh!t right there Maxwell!!! Lol but honestly a "good rider" on a turboed 4 stroke can and does go where the 2stroke turbos go and when you turn them straight up the Turboed 4stroke shines.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh & no seat time on the 4's but the 2 is sure fun Boondocker Baby pull n go nowa days

Top Bottom