2 stoke versus 4 stroke longegivity

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PS how do 4 strokes do upside down?
having an oil pan and all is it bad? do they start ok? im assuming being efi

Well....when misshaps occur and the sled ends upside down, they have a sensor that shuts the motor off (like a 2 sec. delay) as the sled will just keep running. Then all you do is put it right side up and turn the ol' key and she starts right up and off you go! :woohoo1:The key start is great when you are required to start the sled after getting unstuck on a steep mountain!!

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol must be something wrong then

ive been running a mod 2 stroke sled for the last 4 years and never towed out and never blown lol

maybe its a polaris thing

No one is saying that 2-stroke are pieces, just that if you took the averages from both 2 and 4 stroke that the 4's tend to be more durable in the motor department. Sounds to me your sled is doing great (keep fingers crossed) for not having any issues, gratz!:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive been running a mod 2 stroke sled for the last 4 years and never towed out and never blown lol

Those sound like famous last words...... :D

Us mod guys are different anyway though .... Everyone knows what MOD stands for right?

My
Owner's
Dumb

TomKat - you don't have any issues with your Phazer? My friend has one and when she flips it, it runs like crap when we flip it back over (usually lasts about 2 mins) then seems to reset the sensor and it goes good again. The first time it happened, it wouldn't stay lit for more than 10 seconds and then shut itself off, finally after about 1/2 hr of this it ran better. Seems OK now, we just get her the right way up and she fires it and goes, its runs like junk for about 1 min and then is fine. Other than that it is a great sled for her (about 5 ft 1" and 120 lbs in gear). I have seen that thing roll lots and nothing happen to it.

Is it just her sled or do they all do this? I'm guessing oil sender is the culprit?

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YOU TOO

lol no pink slips needed, you can just have it

I was thinking about what I would do with it after I took it from you, then realized I got no use for the doo, but I could give it to Treemongrol as whe could use the spare parts with luck he's had with his this season!!LOL!:smiliestirthepot::beerchug:

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PS how do 4 strokes do upside down?
having an oil pan and all is it bad? do they start ok? im assuming being efi

No oil pan on the 4's, it's a remote resorvoir or dry sump as they call it. Shuts off automatically when upside down, once you right it wait a couple seconds before starting it so the sensor resets and away you go. If you try to start it before the sensor resets, a warning light will come on the dash and it goes into a limp mode until shut-off and restarted.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Us mod guys are different anyway though .... Everyone knows what MOD stands for right?

My
Owner's
Dumb

TomKat - you don't have any issues with your Phazer? My friend has one and when she flips it, it runs like crap when we flip it back over (usually lasts about 2 mins) then seems to reset the sensor and it goes good again. The first time it happened, it wouldn't stay lit for more than 10 seconds and then shut itself off, finally after about 1/2 hr of this it ran better. Seems OK now, we just get her the right way up and she fires it and goes, its runs like junk for about 1 min and then is fine. Other than that it is a great sled for her (about 5 ft 1" and 120 lbs in gear). I have seen that thing roll lots and nothing happen to it.

Is it just her sled or do they all do this? I'm guessing oil sender is the culprit?

When that happens is there an amber flashing light on the side of the instrument panel? I do know that if the sled is on it's top for any length of time the oil migrates up into the airbox through the breather vent as 4-strokes are an open-air (vented) system which could coat the air-filter and starve the engine for air. Another possibility is that the sled may be low on oil which the computer stutters the ignition so the engine isn't damaged. That is a real easy to check. Just make sure that when the oil level is checked, you unscrew the dipstick, pull-out, clean, then just insert it until the base meets the oil reservoir, then pull-out and that is the correct reading. Add oil if needed and then just screw it back in and connect the sensor and your good to go. :beer: I know.....long winded, but those are some of the possibilities. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think its an air vent or breathing issue, kinda sounds like the scenario that CR500R described, runs crappy until the sensor resets, just seems like it takes a while to reset. I thought it would have reset faster, maybe it just needs the re-pressurize. Not a big deal just wondered how other folks sleds ran. I would ask shwnmcgr but he nevers flips his sled over so I can satisfy my curiosity.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need a doo 4stroke now! What is the weight comp to the nytro or apex

I read somewhere that the Doo motor is 20lbs heavier than the Yami but the Doo chassis is 50lbs lighter, flexes lots and tougher on belts. I took about 60lbs of my Nytro but it doesn't seem to flex, belt life is great. Works awesome in the deep snow, has a little boost too :d

nytrobrad

Reaction score
If a four strokes upside down enough times you'll have to top her up with a little oil. But theres an idiot light that lets you know.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, let's show the blowest wankers that we can keep this sucker on-topic and not turn into a 2-stroke vs. 4 stroke pissing contest on performance!

Topic is longevity! Go! :beer::beer::beer::beer:

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My
Owner's
Dumb

I look forward to the day when my wife rides hers hard enough to flip it!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would ask shwnmcgr but he nevers flips his sled over so I can satisfy my curiosity.

Come on an early season ride...that's when I do most of my season damage!

I've never had my Apex run poorly after a roll. I get the idiot light and code 37 but once I get the sled leveled I just toggle the power to clear the code and it fires up. I've been getting coded lately just laying the machine on it's side...I must be getting low on oil.

I'm all for experimenting a little with the wifes Phazer...no machine should go without a roll every season!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on an early season ride...that's when I do most of my season damage!

I've never had my Apex run poorly after a roll. I get the idiot light and code 37 but once I get the sled leveled I just toggle the power to clear the code and it fires up. I've been getting coded lately just laying the machine on it's side...I must be getting low on oil.

I'm all for experimenting a little with the wifes Phazer...no machine should go without a roll every season!

Bring it out to revy for easter, i'll barrel-roll the little thumper for ya. :d

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol must be something wrong then

I had a mod 800 summit out of 4 weekends riding it only had 1 day that I didn't have an issue with it when the motor let go put it back to stock and it's run fine. I've yet to have a sled that is modded be reliable

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a mod 800 summit out of 4 weekends riding it only had 1 day that I didn't have an issue with it when the motor let go put it back to stock and it's run fine. I've yet to have a sled that is modded be reliable

lol bring it to me ill set it up right then

i have at least 5 modded summit 600s and 800s on the mountain and NOT ONE has burnt or left us stranded

as modman said a properly modded sled should be AS reliable as a stocker.

but i still think 4 strokes are reliable obviously but so are 2 strokes..modded or not..4 strokes are just trouble free for a LONGER period of time.

Top Bottom