2 stoke versus 4 stroke longegivity

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm throwing this out there, what can one expect out of a 2 stroke motor mileage wise, say a sled moderately driven in both the mountains and also trail rode? What would one expect out of 4 stoke before a rebuild? Does one expect 2000, 3000, 4000 miles out of 2 stoke before a rebuild, more/less? I'm looking at this for a little research for my next sled, Thx.:Snowmobile1:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
typicallt a 2stoke is good for 3000-10000 all depends when you want to freshen it up. but i dont let my motors go more than 3000km without a freshen up. 2stroke cranks are usually good for 10 000. however it seems all these new motors are locking up like mad so some last 10 000 some last 200. rebuild cost? 500-1000

4stroke..can be good for 20,000+km as far as i know. but rebuild cost? 3-5000? correct me if im wrong.

obviously 4stroke is more reliable and better longevity. but your adding alot of extra weight.

it all depends what you want to do. go high and boondock or bomb around on the trails.

its basically heavy and reliable vs light timebomb.

for me i will never go 4stroke...unless they make me!!!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's all you need to know, at least when the 4-strokers a Yammy!

The longest snowmobile journey totalled 19,574.45 km (12,163 m) driven by Robert G. Davis (USA) on his Yamaha RS Venture snowmobile, during a 60 day period between 11 January 2008 and 11 March 2008.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
you cant really put 4stroke and rebuild in the same sentence unless it has a turbo on it.

i have various friends with old 2strokes (although a smaller engine) have 5 - 10,000km on a 2stroke sled with little work done to them. they mite be pushing their limits but they are just old ditch bangers and not too worry if they blow up

i have 3000+miles on my doo with nos (knock on wood) and no major motor problems. but its time to tare it down this spring after 1 more trip before it gets pricey

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The winning team at the last Iron Dog race won on a pair of Nytro's, that's another major endurance run!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The winning team at the last Iron Dog race won on a pair of Nytro's, that's another major endurance run!

A pair of Nytro's also won the Cain's Quest as well in Newfoundland but both of these are more tests of orienteering and navigation, than real longevity tests of sleds. Most of the sleds made it through both no problems whether they were 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

I love the 2 stroke for power to weight but I gotta admit the 4 strokes that I have run with seem really nice - Its hard to argue with lifting the hood, pulling the dipstick to check the oil and turning the key to start (no choke/primer) and not have to worry about your motor for about 5 yrs. If your boosted you gotta watch it a little more I think but still not as labour intensive on the routine side of things compared to a 2 stroke.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
The other thing to remember is that a 4 stroke is now a much more complex unit compared to a 2 stroke. If you are a DIY kind of guy a 2 stroke is a much more user friendly motor to work on. Parts are also much more on a 4 stroke. I do prefer the 2 stroke for ease of use (in the garage), power/weight ratio and sound. New ones are also clean so the pollution side of things is about equal. :beer::d:beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you cant really put 4stroke and rebuild in the same sentence unless it has a turbo on it.

i have various friends with old 2strokes (although a smaller engine) have 5 - 10,000km on a 2stroke sled with little work done to them. they mite be pushing their limits but they are just old ditch bangers and not too worry if they blow up

i have 3000+miles on my doo with nos (knock on wood) and no major motor problems. but its time to tare it down this spring after 1 more trip before it gets pricey

sure u can. i know if i had a NA yami sled with 20000k id be looking to rebuild.

these arent car engines

they are rapping 10-12000rpm all day long they arent going to go 300000km

and if u go that far on a sled congrats!! ahahahaha

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There were suppose to go 40,000k before valves is the impressoin i was under.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simply look at your vehicle in the driveway, there's a reason it's 4 stroke. I made my purchase of a 4 stroke sled 3 seasons ago, 06 Vector 162 mtn, best sled decision I made. There's more to it than reliability and durability, operating costs are significantly lower, because you have better fuel economy and no injection oil. Yes they are heavier, a small price to pay for peace of mind. The weight issue doesn't concern me, I throw my Vector around with just as much easy, if not easier, than my 97 RMK 141 mod.
Look into it, do your homework, and ignore the naysayers on sites like this, becasue the majority of negative comments come from those who don't even own one and might have only ridden one a couple times at best. My bro was a naysayer until his summit blew up a couple weekends ago, I let him use my Yammie for the weekend, and now he's looking into making the step into the 4 stroke market. Negative comments come from those who are scared of what they don't know.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simply look at your vehicle in the driveway, there's a reason it's 4 stroke. I made my purchase of a 4 stroke sled 3 seasons ago, 06 Vector 162 mtn, best sled decision I made. There's more to it than reliability and durability, operating costs are significantly lower, because you have better fuel economy and no injection oil. Yes they are heavier, a small price to pay for peace of mind. The weight issue doesn't concern me, I throw my Vector around with just as much easy, if not easier, than my 97 RMK 141 mod.
Look into it, do your homework, and ignore the naysayers on sites like this, becasue the majority of negative comments come from those who don't even own one and might have only ridden one a couple times at best. My bro was a naysayer until his summit blew up a couple weekends ago, I let him use my Yammie for the weekend, and now he's looking into making the step into the 4 stroke market. Negative comments come from those who are scared of what they don't know.

I couldnt agree more!!:beer: I stepped up to the Four stroke crowd last year with my Turboed Nytro. All my buds were negative saying you cant boondock you cant ride in the trees blah blah blah:nono: Well none of them on their two stroke so called boondocking sleds can keep up boondocking and riding with me in the trees. If someone is stuck or in a treewell or a creekbottom it is me helping them out not the other way around.:mad: These same guys that said my sled was a point and shoot sled are now eating their words:d And back to your original thread on longevity. All my two stroke buddies have been through a couple sleds each since then A few motors etc etc. 3500km on mine turboed and the only thing that gives me any trouble is anything aftermarket that I have installed:rant: Turbo being exempt it has worked flawlessly:d:beer:

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I razed my brother for a few years about buying his vector, gave him all the gears about it, as he said I have had way to many problems with my doo and will more than likely be buying a four stroke this summer. I figured Last time mine blew up rode my brothers vector for three days, took all early notions about it being heavy, underpowered an old mans sled, too heavy to side hill and put them aside and once I got used to the power and weight I could throw it around quite easily. The other thing is the reliability he had it for 3 seasons and it hasn't cost him a thing for mech breakdowns where this year alone I could of bought another sled for what I've spent. They are better on fuel, last sunday I used 12 and ahalf gallons, he used 7 gallons and he had more miles then I did. So if anybody wants an 03 800 summit 151 with a new crate engine in it shoot me a pm

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sure u can. i know if i had a NA yami sled with 20000k id be looking to rebuild.

these arent car engines

they are rapping 10-12000rpm all day long they arent going to go 300000km

and if u go that far on a sled congrats!! ahahahaha

they only rev at like 8000-9000rpm on the nytros, the apex is up around 10500rpm..

but the first engine inspection is done at and around 20000km-40000km
Climbmax on his i think rx1 had to only replace a throttle cable after like 20000km? and thats truboed:confused:

:jerry::lol2:

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they only rev at like 8000-9000rpm on the nytros, the apex is up around 10500rpm..

but the first engine inspection is done at and around 20000km-40000km
Climbmax on his i think rx1 had to only replace a throttle cable after like 20000km? and thats truboed:confused:

:jerry::lol2:

Oh that reminds me Sledslut! I have to change my throttle cable too before next ride:rant: :d:beer:

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my experience.... I use to owne a 98 Yamaha R1 wich was almost the same motor or should I say that the RX1 motor was base on that one of the R1. I sold it a few years ago cause I didnt use as much as I wanted, the first sumer I got it I put on 18000 Km from june til september. In the 4 years that I drove it I put on 63500 Km on it and never faild me, I tried to get the valves check just for piece of mind at 38000 but the dealer didnt realy wanted to do it cause they only recomende it at 42000 Km, I finaly got them to check it and they where all ok. As you can see or figure it out a 4 stroke is the way to go... my 2 cents.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 2 stoke versus 4 stroke longevity

This is tough one I like two stroke they do well for me in my sled but my dirt bike is a Honda four stroke that poor motor took beaten .I rebuilt both 2&4
stroke 2 are relativity easy 4 are not to bad to do a little more involve and
time consume .I only try two sled that were 4stroke one was a Yamaha the
other was my dad artic cat 660 trail sled they were all right only they were
missing some thing the WOW factor it just wasn,t there for me. The one thing
I can,t compete with is there fuel mileage at 120k.m for my sled is about1/4
tank for them.I don't this a good comparisons or not been that my is 800c.c
M.X.Z hot rod but that my two cents.Dad concriding selling his cat because
he missing WOW factor to.:confused:

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had em all since my first machine in 66. like to try a Phazer 4 stroker now, only worried about the weight.those Yamaha motors get 100,000 miles in street bikes,should last forever in a sled.W/O a turbo that is.might just build a 4 stroker ,cant afford the prices nowadays. put a Suzuki Turbo car engine in a sled chassis. I put a 70s 750 Honda engine in a Elan in the 80s, was too fast ,scraped it.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it dosnt matter what u get just pick what color u want because there all going to break down if it has tits or tracks there trouble haaa:d

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my experience.... I use to owne a 98 Yamaha R1 wich was almost the same motor or should I say that the RX1 motor was base on that one of the R1. I sold it a few years ago cause I didnt use as much as I wanted, the first sumer I got it I put on 18000 Km from june til september. In the 4 years that I drove it I put on 63500 Km on it and never faild me, I tried to get the valves check just for piece of mind at 38000 but the dealer didnt realy wanted to do it cause they only recomende it at 42000 Km, I finaly got them to check it and they where all ok. As you can see or figure it out a 4 stroke is the way to go... my 2 cents.

I remember reading something about about the R1 engines when I was researching the 4 strokes, and it had talked about how they had run a test engine to 130,000 kms with out doing any maintenance except the oil changes and when they tore it down to inspect it there was no visible wear on the engine components. Wish I could find this article again to post, will keep looking. Another convincing factor for me, was the 1st year production of the 120hp Vector triples ,Yamaha had no engine related warranty claims or failures come to them. That itself speaks volumes.

Top Bottom