2 stoke versus 4 stroke longegivity

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had em all since my first machine in 66. like to try a Phazer 4 stroker now, only worried about the weight.those Yamaha motors get 100,000 miles in street bikes,should last forever in a sled.W/O a turbo that is.might just build a 4 stroker ,cant afford the prices nowadays. put a Suzuki Turbo car engine in a sled chassis. I put a 70s 750 Honda engine in a Elan in the 80s, was too fast ,scraped it.

Just want to comment on you mentioning you'd like to try the Phazer 4 stroker. Unless you plan on putting a turbo on it, I wouldn't recommend it. I started this season with an 07 Phazer and gave it an honest try(about 8 rides) and it was up for sale. I consider myself to be a fairly conservative rider and picked up the Phazer with this in mind. I guess I'm just not quite that conservative. Fun to ride in the meadows but for me that was it. Very short on power. Handled like a tank on the trails, very tippy, darty and unstable, unless you go no faster than 40 to 50 kmh. I played with the suspension settings with no luck at all. Probably could have tried a new set of skis but after the first few tries I was pretty sure I wasn't keeping it and didn't want to put another $400 into it. And, not much track speed for moderate climbing. I've talked with guys who have turboed them and that has worked out for the better but add another $3000 to do that?.........I don't think so. No doubt 4 stroke longevity is head and shoulders above the 2 strokes but if you want a little performance to play with.IMO, stay away from the Phazer:)

Reaction score
four strokes are better than 2 strokes thats what my wife says hehe i have a nytro only trouble i have had with it is my throttle cable other than that maintnenace free check oil turn key and go no stopping at gas station to pick up oil or as many stops to fuel up i found to

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Treemongrel,
Have you researched out the front bumpers on those 4 strokes?:d Any tree diameter increases??
I think you get stuck way too often to buy a thumper. LOL

I agree they do last longer, and if a guy is gonna keep his sled for more than 4 years, yes. But hands down the agility is not the same, especially with the newer chassis'

I know, I know....,:smiliestirthepot: mine blew up and got towed out by CR500r's sled(much appreciated), it was my fault in pushing the envelope by not refreshing the top end after 5200k. other than that I had good luck with 2 smokers.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Hands down sled for me will be the doo 1200. That sled is only 520-40 pounds most 2 stroke sleds outside of the xp fall into that range. and the power and pull is 2 to none. Can't wait till sept and see how many guys backout on there snow check again.:d:cool:

s/b tech

Reaction score
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned anything about the new DI 600 e-tec 2-stroke. Amazing fuel and oil economy and first pull start no matter the temp. Just something to think about.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Treemongrel,
Have you researched out the front bumpers on those 4 strokes?:d Any tree diameter increases??
I think you get stuck way too often to buy a thumper. LOL

You missed his weekend riding the Vector, it's been tested already, the forests around Mcbride are quite abit thinner these days, I'm still picking lumber out of the sled!!!!

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id pay to see a 4stroke keep up with me in the trees

/gets popcorn

lol jk im sure once u get used to it you can move those things around

I used to say the same thing when cr500r first bought his, after a couple of weekends on it he was having no problem keeping up with the rest of us in the trees, I spent a weekend on it when the doo blew up again and found it very agile in the tree and creeks and I had a lot less trouble on it then my doo, oh and it ran all day no troubles

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been riding sleds for more than 25 years and you couldn't get me to buy a 2-stroke over a 4-stroke. We have 2,400 miles on an 2007 APEX Mountain and 2,100 miles on a 2007 Phazer Mountain and we haven't had a single issue regarding any mechanical failures! Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging on the 2-strokes as there are many very capable performers out there but when you add in the reliability equasion, fuel mileage, ease/cost of operation...well that's another story. Once you gert past the learning curve they are very easy to throw around, carve, and climb with. They are heavier (and they all are when stuck) but I wouldn't trade that weight and reliability for lighter and questionable reliability. I don't plan on buying a new sled for quite some time (that relibility thing again) and instead I will just personalize mine to fit my riding needs with aftermarket parts that will enhance the performance of it. Just my two cents but i hope this helps and good luck with your choice. Cheers! :beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol except 4strokes are heavier than 2 strokes stuck

for example

NA nytro stuck in heavy snow. 4 guys

my sled stuck in heavy snow ME

id love to have a 4stroke but i think it would be a straight up sled.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol except 4strokes are heavier than 2 strokes stuck

for example

NA nytro stuck in heavy snow. 4 guys

my sled stuck in heavy snow ME

id love to have a 4stroke but i think it would be a straight up sled.

Guess it all depends who you are and how smart you are, most times when I stick my Vector, I get it out myself with little difficulty. Where ever I've stuck my sled and it's taking help to get it out, it would've taken help to get a 2 stroke out as well. I'm not going to get into a pissing match here, but I own a 4 stroker, and nothing you can say will change what I know to be the truth. I'm not saying they are the only sled to ride now, I still own a 97 RMK 141, and love to ride it, especailly at this time of year, but with it every ride is a spin on the roulette wheel on whether it comes out on it's own or towed out.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess it all depends who you are and how smart you are, most times when I stick my Vector, I get it out myself with little difficulty. Where ever I've stuck my sled and it's taking help to get it out, it would've taken help to get a 2 stroke out as well. I'm not going to get into a pissing match here, but I own a 4 stroker, and nothing you can say will change what I know to be the truth. I'm not saying they are the only sled to ride now, I still own a 97 RMK 141, and love to ride it, especailly at this time of year, but with it every ride is a spin on the roulette wheel on whether it comes out on it's own or towed out.

All too true CR500!!! As an old saying goes "Work smarter, not harder"!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of a 4-stoke needing a re-build that wasn't due to turbo or factory screw-up. I have not heard of anyone even getting valves adjusted yet. Anybody have 40,000 kms on their 4 stroke?

I've got 4200kms on my Apex and I think I've got it broke in now!

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[I'm not saying they are the only sled to ride now, I still own a 97 RMK 141, and love to ride it, especailly at this time of year, but with it every ride is a spin on the roulette wheel on whether it comes out on it's own or towed out.[/QUOTE]

Yup and I got to tow it out last trip:d:d:d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol must be something wrong then

ive been running a mod 2 stroke sled for the last 4 years and never towed out and never blown lol

maybe its a polaris thing

Top Bottom