2 stoke versus 4 stroke longegivity

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
I had a mod 800 summit out of 4 weekends riding it only had 1 day that I didn't have an issue with it when the motor let go put it back to stock and it's run fine. I've yet to have a sled that is modded be reliable

Maybe it was the rider! lol

Hopefully my 827 will hold together... with you breaking it in over Easter, that will be the tell all! Farmer's is holding together nicely! I think that if you can still run pump gas those sleds hold together nicely

Danny- I think that you bought a lemon mod... who knows what was done to it and what backyard redneck did the mods!

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish I had your luck, with 2 strokers. In the past 10 years I've owned 3 sleds, 00 RMK 800 151, 97 RMK 700 141 and the 06 Vector 162 MTN SE. I'm a mechanic by trade so my stuff gets well looked after ( you can toss the idea that a mechanic drives the worse vehicle away here ) . We ride off the beaten path all the time, way out back , so reliability is a must, hence the always maintained toys. In the 4 seasons I had my 00 RMK I was towed out 3 times with broken cranks, never got to ride a full season once while in my possession, my 97 RMK blew a crank seal the 1st season, but was able to ride it out, 2nd season I melted the mag side piston on a big pull and had to be towed out, and just last trip the cdi packed it in heading up the trail and got towed out. On the other hand, in 3 seasons the Vector has only had routine oil changes and gets a new belt each season. The reliability issue is a no brainer and thanks to the 4 stroker I've had an awesome past 3 years of riding.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on an early season ride...that's when I do most of my season damage!

I've never had my Apex run poorly after a roll. I get the idiot light and code 37 but once I get the sled leveled I just toggle the power to clear the code and it fires up. I've been getting coded lately just laying the machine on it's side...I must be getting low on oil.

I'm all for experimenting a little with the wifes Phazer...no machine should go without a roll every season!

LOL - I was on an early season ride with you and you never rolled it?!!!!! LOL

Someone else (not me) did but that was on purpose - LOL.

I was too busy getting stuck!

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, it's given me alot to think about when looking for a new sled.:thumbsup2:

Reaction score
I razed my brother for a few years about buying his vector, gave him all the gears about it, as he said I have had way to many problems with my doo and will more than likely be buying a four stroke this summer. I figured Last time mine blew up rode my brothers vector for three days, took all early notions about it being heavy, underpowered an old mans sled, too heavy to side hill and put them aside and once I got used to the power and weight I could throw it around quite easily. The other thing is the reliability he had it for 3 seasons and it hasn't cost him a thing for mech breakdowns where this year alone I could of bought another sled for what I've spent. They are better on fuel, last sunday I used 12 and ahalf gallons, he used 7 gallons and he had more miles then I did. So if anybody wants an 03 800 summit 151 with a new crate engine in it shoot me a pm
skidooityurself kinda guy I am! budget wise backyard mehc for long time! two stroke outboards, bikes, four strokes, you name it! Personally I like projects I can handle on my own but the fact that I got three projects going @ the same time, all Skidoo, 99 670x,mod, 96 670 summit and now I,m building a 05 mxz adren into a fabcraft mountain sled goes to show it,s easy to afford tinkering with the two strokes there easier and cheaper, but let,s look @ the word cheap! Yamaha ain,t cheap! Nope high quality, great power, great everything! Ive tried a turbo nitro! whoa! 800 whaat? are you kidding!that thing really opened my eyes, ever see a phazer mtn lite vs 550 summit fan? 500 class right! the yami will smoke it in reverse! But still I love my skidoo's It's taken me about three years of researching and just getting my hands dirty to start building me some mods it's been a blast! my 99x has a long list of parts and it keeps up with the 800's but I probably could have bought thato last, I'm not in the X games t nitro stock @least by now but like that dude said they are alot more complex so it's a little out of my skill zone, a motor's a motor the basics are the same it's just that I've been focused on two strokes for so long I would have to almost reboot or buy a new computer to switch to four stroke right now, but in time I will cause I'm never satisfied with how fast I can go! and I'm starting to reach the limits on two stroke mods while trying to maintain reliability, why mod it if it's not going ( not yet anyhoot!) so dat's what I think!

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it was the rider! lol

Hopefully my 827 will hold together... with you breaking it in over Easter, that will be the tell all! Farmer's is holding together nicely! I think that if you can still run pump gas those sleds hold together nicely

Danny- I think that you bought a lemon mod... who knows what was done to it and what backyard redneck did the mods!

Boy after seeing your bottom end and the two yahoos that put it back together after way too many beer bring spare motor, and I've got the tow rope to pull you back down. Farmers saying 8 km's and she goes boom, I'm giving it up onto the deck, halfway up the ramp and "BOOM":BSmeter:

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spoke with a fella recently that told me his experience. At 5000miles on a 3'sh year old 4-stroke sled, he's begun using oil. A leakdown test showed he was at limits of engine wear. He's planning to switch back to 2-stroke, because the cost of a good rebuild will be near that which the entire sled is worth, and he paid a lot (money + weight) to buy this "longer lasting" sled. He did say that the type of use was a lot of short runs with many stops (he collects antler sheds as a hobby). He was told that he didn't change oil often enough for the type of use.
Long-hauls are much easier on any engine than short&hard runs, so time will tell which is the better route to go.
The jury is still out on my decision: there's some great Rotax 2-strokes out there to be had, and they've also proven their worth as a 4-stroke bulder with Sea-Doo, and now more sled models. And yes, I'm brand biased.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't make a run to Revy for Easter Pistonbroke; I'm going to have a house full of relatives.

Ps I took my neighbor out to Cataract yesterday and he rolled my wifes Phazer 3 times. After rolling it back on to the rubber it fired right up. It puked out a bunch of antifreeze while I was laughing at him and taking pictures.

muffin

Reaction score
My 07 Turbo Apex has 7000 km, Havent even reset the valves yet , heard of a RX1 at Revy with supossedly 25000 km on it with no rebuild yet and it is Turboed, seen it run n , seems fine to me . Hopefully not some bad info, on it , came from a good source.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't make a run to Revy for Easter Pistonbroke; I'm going to have a house full of relatives.

Ps I took my neighbor out to Cataract yesterday and he rolled my wifes Phazer 3 times. After rolling it back on to the rubber to fired right up. It puked out a bunch of antifreeze while I was laughing at him and taking pictures.

You need to stop letting people ride your stuff I think!! That;s two incidents with Phazers this year. LOL!

Is the sled OK?

Top Bottom