1998 grizzly 600 project - NO SPARK

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: '98 yamaha grizzly 600(pros/cons)?

got one the same, 98 600. not much around for performance parts, but the atv is reliable and keeps on running. blackwaters work well, as will other tires. , maybe new brakes front and rear. side shift may need some lube, you can replace the clutch rollers and also do a coop mod 1.5 to 2 mil clutch spacers for a cheap effective clutch mod. you may want a clutch kit with larger tires. o yeah check the air filter as they get loose and don't seal properly

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

Ricky where's the pics of this bad boy???

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Lookin forward to the before and after shots,The Bike ,The Doo,and now the Grizz...........You doo fix em up Nice!
On the older ones do they have the same issue with the axel slipping out,I didnt se it mentioned here so Im thinking that was an issue with the independant suspension but could be wrong!
catmando!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

lookin forward to the before and after shots,the bike ,the doo,and now the grizz...........you doo fix em up nice!
On the older ones do they have the same issue with the axel slipping out,i didnt se it mentioned here so im thinking that was an issue with the independant suspension but could be wrong!
Catmando!

hey kitty..... I'm thinking you're right..... Solid rear axle shouldn't have the same problem??

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Wasnt sure it was a solid rear axel,tough to slip those out LOL! My brute is a solid rear axel and they are a blast to ride,the back end slides around way better than a independant suspension,A little rougher but way more fun to ride!
catmando!

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

only thing id do is change up the 10" rear rims with a set of 12" off a big bear or something with the dish on the rear rim, it will make it easier to find 12" tire sets .....

it has 12" rims front and rear already..... 25" bearclaw rear tires(new)

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score

:nopics:
catmando!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

heh common summitric lets get some 27" mudbitches or something on that beast and let it eat.

In all seriousness . Id clean the clutch and re grease it before you take it out for a big ride.

Id probably be looking at snorkeling or relocating to a higher spot,at least the clutch intake/exhaust if you plan on any mud/water riding the air intake for the motor is probably ok where it is though for normal water crossings.

other than that some big tires and it should rip.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Re: 1998 yamaha grizzly 600 project

Here's the before pics of the quad.... Unloaded into the garage and took pics........

Attachments

• P5220016.jpg
    P5220016.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P5220017.jpg
    P5220017.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 49
  • P5220022.jpg
    P5220022.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 57
  • P5220021.jpg
    P5220021.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 49
  • P5220023.jpg
    P5220023.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P5220025.jpg
    P5220025.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 51

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 1998 yamaha grizzly 600 project

Thats in better shape than my buddies when He got his.... A good place to get parts that are cheap. Check out Bike Bandit.. Shipping is great you can get it delivered right to the door of your shop and take it home that night.. The only thing to watch for is the exchange rate !! That is where you may feel the hurt. They have pretty much everything, OEM and Aftermarket. That is where we get 85% of our parts and apparel.. Good luck. When you get it making smoke we will have to go for a ride...

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
1998 yamaha grizzly 600 project STILL HAS NO SPARK

I can't get any spark. I've replaced a dead relay and ignition switch and stator/pick-up ass'y and can't get any coil power from the cdi box.... Doesn't appear to have any power going into the cdi box, except a weak power wire yellow from one of the relays. Does anyone live in the edmonton area, with a '98 600 grizzly that wouldn't mind popping by my house and i could try a cdi box from their machine and quickly check and compare their wiring as well?? I'm really stuck here guys, and hope someone can help me out. The yamaha repair manual is quite vague on the ignition system.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a 2000 Grizzly, everything should be the same. I could probably meet you on Wed. night.. Let me know if that works for you. We could also meet at your shop or mine, But you probably do not want to load a Quad that does not run.. Let me know so we could set something up. Talk to you later..

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I own a 2000 Grizzly, everything should be the same. I could probably meet you on Wed. night.. Let me know if that works for you. We could also meet at your shop or mine, But you probably do not want to load a Quad that does not run.. Let me know so we could set something up. Talk to you later..

that would be wonderful....... i'll pm you..... thanks Ric

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
SO A FELLOW SNOWANDMUD MEMBER DROPPED BY WITH HIS '99 GRIZZLY 600 AND HE ALLOWED ME TO TRY HIS CDI UNIT, AND VOILA........SPARK!!!! SO I'M NOW ON THE HUNT FOR A CDI UNIT. THANKS TO "FUNTIMES" AND HIS BUDDY KYLE FOR DROPPING BY AND HELPING ME, AND HAVING A FEW BUD LITE LIMES TONITE....... I OWE YOU. IT'S GOOD TO SEE THE QUADDING COMMUNITY IS AS HELPFUL AS THE SLEDDING COMMUNITY. AWESOME!!! THANKS AGAIN KYLE AND FUNTIME!!!:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you may have to hit up a Yamaha dealer or find a junker quad and get the cdi off it i dont see many after market 600 grizz cdi's

i did see this when i googled it tho

Address: Calahoo, AB, T0G 0J0
Date Listed: 18-Jun-09

I have a brand new Yamaha Grizzly 600 IC CDI Ignitor for a 1998-2001 Grizzly 600 ATV.

These have been on Back-order from Yamaha for about 6 months. i was lucky enough to find one.

My Stator was gone not the CDI box.

I have the receipt from Yamaha and paid nearly $500.00 with tax.

It may fit other Yamaha applications as there are 2 Part numbers for it.

Andy
780-458-5432 home
780-497-8231 cell

looks like someone has a new cdi.. but if you can find a after market that might be cheaper.

also check
Brand New CDI Box for '98-'01 Yamaha Grizzly 600 - Edmonton ATVs & Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton cheaper yet

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
you may have to hit up a Yamaha dealer or find a junker quad and get the cdi off it i dont see many after market 600 grizz cdi's

i did see this when i googled it tho

looks like someone has a new cdi.. but if you can find a after market that might be cheaper.

also check
Brand New CDI Box for '98-'01 Yamaha Grizzly 600 - Edmonton ATVs & Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton cheaper yet

thanks.... this one on kijiji i would have bought, but the guy wouldn't budge from his price.... i'm waiting on a used unit from NovaScotia... hopefully monday.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you coming to the camp out ? if so hopefully you get everything before the weekend !

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Finally got the cdi unit in the mail, from a fellow in nova scotia last nite........ The big 600 fired right up, on second crank!!!! Bad oil leak around a broken bolt..... Climb higher thought it should be okay, but it leaks like a siv...... Tore cylinder head off last nite and drilled out broken bolt..... Just gotta get a few gaskets seals and new bolt and she'll be going together tonite.

Does anyone know if yamaha had a drain hole drilled into the left exhaust manifold pipe at the front underside(probably for water drainage??)?????

Top Bottom