1998 grizzly 600 project - NO SPARK

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey all.....as this is gonna be our first quad, i'm gonna be buying a '98 yamaha grizzly 600 quad(fixer/upper), and just wondering what some expected problems might be, and what are some good additions to it? Any input appreciated....... Thanks

Last edited:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Re: '98 yamaha grizzly 600(pros/cons)?

Water proof it real good they were notorius for leaking water into the clutches causing the belt to slip and rad is close to the winch and alot of crap piles up between them plugging off the rad if your doing some work on it tear the rad out and clean it good might have 10 years mud packed in it :d:beer:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

If you tear the clutch apart replace all the roller weights with the weights from a Kodiak 450. It will wake that 600 right up for cheap, cheap. They are also prone to the "Steam Sputter" when crossing deep water. Its an easy fix, you just have to vent the side panels under the gas tank on both sides to let the steam escape instead of heading for the airbox. When servicing it make sure you pull the recoil cover off and clean it out well, it will probably be full of skeg. When you put it back together, silicone the boot on to the recoil cover and only use it if you have to. Like Murm says, seal the belt housing good and put a chunk of screen in front of the Rad thats easy to pull out and clean on the trail. Last but not least "leave your purse at home when flinging mud with the boyz" LMFAO!! :beer: :beer: :d

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

tires..gotta have good tires..as you might have read on snow and mud,,lotsa different types..i like my mudlites...and a tow rope to pull hondas out..lol and a big chain for tg..hahaha..hey..see ya on the trail!:beer:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ya - 600 grizzlies are like the old big bears - hard to kill.... great speed, reliable, gobs of power, cant think of any real problem areas, i agree about the tires, a good atv and good tires make a great atv.....

Only thing id do is change up the 10" rear rims with a set of 12" off a big bear or something with the dish on the rear rim, it will make it easier to find 12" tire sets .....

oh ya and always keep the Shiny side up......

T.

• Staff

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

ya - 600 grizzlies are like the old big bears - hard to kill.... Great speed, reliable, gobs of power, cant think of any real problem areas, i agree about the tires, a good atv and good tires make a great atv.....

Only thing id do is change up the 10" rear rims with a set of 12" off a big bear or something with the dish on the rear rim, it will make it easier to find 12" tire sets .....

Oh ya and always keep the shiny side up......

T.

so are bearclaw tires good? THEY LOOK LIKE TRACTOR TIRES...

oldernotwiser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Bear claws are good tires. Everyone will have their favorite and argue the point all day long. I run mud lites. Different sizes of bear claws do have different lug heights however I believe.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score

It is good you are mechanically inclined because the brakes don't work too good if they are drums

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

What storage boxes anyone running on these quads?? Royal distributing has about 30 different universal storage boxes of all types/designs..... Any thoughts??

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

grizzly 600 disc fronts, drum rear, the bear claws are pretty good, but u can get the smaller lug mudlites (stock sizes) pretty cheap. like 380 per set for 25" tires. the most popular rear boxes we sell here are 19-2060 with a seat check it out a motovan.com or if you dont want the seat kimpex.com # 058467 black with bars on it.

my two bits.

T.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

dunno know about the 1st generations but the 2nd gens are been through a couple sets and I need to change out the rear one again

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I heard brakes are bad on the grizz's???

i guess there ok, we used to rent them, heres what we did, keep the front disc pads up and leave the rear shoes soft on the cables so they dont grab write away. Use your engine brake and low range lots,

or you could always get some buds together and i can give you a bulk price on pads or shoes.....

T:d

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the only problem with the Grizz that you might encounter, is that you can't kill them.

Smidgy

Reaction score

I got a 2000 I just got a little while back, I got some maxxis zilla tires for mine in 26" look like they will work pretty good. Mine came with ITP wheels so it already has 12" rears. I went with 26x9x12 & 26x11x12 tires. Not many people have them yet around here but a lot of online praises for them. They are lighter than mudlite's so will turn easier and spin easier(rob less power) so we will see, not sure on the trade off to the lighter tire??

Only problem I have had so far is sorting out my low range, it is not engaging properly but I have sorted it out to something in the linkage connected to the shifter just have not had time to tackle it. Solid rear axle has its cons and a few pros, tough but can get hung up alot so going with a taller set of tires will give you more clearance(newer grizzly's have IRS) my back brakes are useless but fronts are good which is more than most bikes from that era have.

I just bought a new seat/trunk for mine this weekend, got one made by WES industries I believe, seem to have good quality, and fits the bike good. I just wanted to stay away from the ones with the pushbutton locks as a lot of people end up replacing them frequently. Hard to find passenger pegs for them but I believe mine were made for a kodiak of about the same era and they fit good.

I had the bike up over 90 kph a couple times on the weekend so speed is pretty good. and the push button 4wd is nice.

I replaced my belt when I got it, mine was the stock one with 5800kms on it and it was worn right out, sealed the drive back up with high temp gasket maker and it did a great job, (you tighten it up so far let it dry then come back and sinch it down) went through lots of water on saturday(nothing over the vent tubes tho) and she was bone dry.

Nice to see someone else running on of these. GL
P.S. there is someone around here with 70000kms on his lol

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I got a 2000 I just got a little while back, I got some maxxis zilla tires for mine in 26" look like they will work pretty good. Mine came with ITP wheels so it already has 12" rears. I went with 26x9x12 & 26x11x12 tires. Not many people have them yet around here but a lot of online praises for them. They are lighter than mudlite's so will turn easier and spin easier(rob less power) so we will see, not sure on the trade off to the lighter tire??

Only problem I have had so far is sorting out my low range, it is not engaging properly but I have sorted it out to something in the linkage connected to the shifter just have not had time to tackle it. Solid rear axle has its cons and a few pros, tough but can get hung up alot so going with a taller set of tires will give you more clearance(newer grizzly's have IRS) my back brakes are useless but fronts are good which is more than most bikes from that era have.

I just bought a new seat/trunk for mine this weekend, got one made by WES industries I believe, seem to have good quality, and fits the bike good. I just wanted to stay away from the ones with the pushbutton locks as a lot of people end up replacing them frequently. Hard to find passenger pegs for them but I believe mine were made for a kodiak of about the same era and they fit good.

I had the bike up over 90 kph a couple times on the weekend so speed is pretty good. and the push button 4wd is nice.

I replaced my belt when I got it, mine was the stock one with 5800kms on it and it was worn right out, sealed the drive back up with high temp gasket maker and it did a great job, (you tighten it up so far let it dry then come back and sinch it down) went through lots of water on saturday(nothing over the vent tubes tho) and she was bone dry.

Nice to see someone else running on of these. GL
P.S. there is someone around here with 70000kms on his lol

I would also suggest that if you changed your belt and its worn, specially after you just bought the bike, that you check over your clutch bushings and related parts for wear, my experience has been if your belt wears thats becuase its getting hot, and that should not happen, it could get hot if it was sunk in the mud or sand and the clutches got gummed up which would make them heavyier and cause the belt to get hot as its not turning as fast because the clutches full of shiiiit are not shifting fully the heat is 1st transferred to the belt which causes premature wear and then to the clutchs, so if your belt is worn out chances are you have some clutch parts that need replacing, also check for ridges in your clutch sheaves, tell tale sign of a unit that was stuck and had clutchs weighted up with mud or other stuff..... good luck

T

Top Bottom