1997 indy trail 488 fan help.(wont turn over)?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drove 3 hours this weekend to go sledding with one of my uncles,took my summit for me to ride and my 97 indy trail for my uncle to ride.Engine is new(488 fan) top and bottom with 156 miles on it.Pulled it over 1 full pull and it didn't fire,Pulled on it the second time and the handle ripped out of my hand half way through the pull?
Crank just stopped dead.Pulled the plugs to see down the holes and everything looked fine,grabbed the primary and the crank would just barely move back and forth with lots of grinding coming from the Mag side.Got the pull start assembly off but thats as far as we could go without a puller for the rotor.Weekend is now screwed.Got a puller and removed the rotor tonight.
Everything looks good inside,anyone have advice as to where else to look for the source of the grinding problems????????? rotor 1.jpg
rotor 2.jpg

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next question,Anyone got a junk 488 fan engine they want to sell parts off of???????
Thank's

Have researched some part number's and alot of the 90's-early 2000
340,488 500 and 600 twin's used the same rotor/stator.
Does any one have a blown engine they want to sell parts off of?
Thank's

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I NEED HELP...................
I found some parts on ebay,but after researching and X referencing part#'s Im confused.
Found a guy with 1991 440 fan parts,he has the complete stator and flywheel(w/Fan still bolted on)
Polaris parts finder says that my machine's flywheel ass. is a 3084006,exciter is 3083984,stator 3083991
Looked up a 91 440 fan and it gives the same part#'s for the stator and exciter,but 3084282 for the
flywheel assembly?
Parts all look the same and seem to have the same measurements but they have diferent part #'s
Maybe a polaris dealer could tell me what will interchange.??????????????

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From 1990 to 1999 I never looked up everysingle model of Polaris sled,but the ones I did
look up show the same part# for the Exciter and stator,(340,440,488 fan and 500 LC.)
The Rotor or what most call the Flywheel is the part that several part#'s.I understand
that the 500 LC would have a diferent# cause it looks to be the same flywheel,but it
isn't pre-drilled for the fan.
The late 80's had a seperate lighting coil,exciter and stator,and the ignition coil had a seperate
brown wire on it for something.Since the F/C blocks,timing and ect.all stayed the same over the
years,I wonder if a person could take the Ignition coil,flywheel and stator off of one engine and
install it on another?As long as it was a 340,440 or 488?Even the wire colors stayed the same from
1990-2000

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update,I bought a ignition module,flywheel and stator assembly off of a 1989 488fan.It all bolted up
and seemed fine.Had it out for a test run on the weekend and it was kind of boggy,not much snap to it.
I'm going to have to check the ignition timing.I dont know if all fan's or just some had timing marks on the
fan housing?If mine doesn't it looks like it's going to be a real pain in the butt job.Using a degree wheel and
ect. Does anyone on here have a repair manual or know what the advance was on a EC50PM 488 fan?
I think it's about 24 deg. BTDC @3000 rpm.
Thank's if anyone can help.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Likely too late but it is 26 deg BTDC @ 3000 rpm +or- 1.5 deg.

Nope, not too late,I'm actually going to get the sleds out tomorrow possibly.
Are you sure about the advance of 26 deg?an article I found on vintage snow said 24
Thanks for the reply.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just looked it up again and it is definitely 26 degrees for a 1997 Indy Trail 488 fan (engine EC50PM04). Or .150" BTDC if you prefer to use a dial indicator.

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just looked it up again and it is definitely 26 degrees for a 1997 Indy Trail 488 fan (engine EC50PM04). Or .150" BTDC if you prefer to use a dial indicator.

I timed it yesterday,I read several times that polaris factory timing was quite conservative,and the timing marks on
the pull start assembly are not always very accurate.I made my own degree wheel with a zero and 26 btdc mark on it
After I found tcd and installed my degree wheel and a pointer at zero.I dialed it in to between 25 and 25.5
Because this is my first time timing a sled I also used the primary clutch method you mentioned to see how accurate
both methods were.Both were bang on with eachother.After I reinstalled the pullstart assembly I also checked the degree
wheel timing compared to the factory timing marks.The factory marks were bang on.
Retiredpop do you know why the polaris manual gives the ec50pm number for my engine,but under the pullstart assembly
my block is stamped ec443pm?
Thanks for your help.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 488 engine actually was built on the 440 crankcase so that is why you see the ec443pm designation.

Top Bottom