Help - grinding/rubbing sound

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was riding last weekend and everything was fine. Then noticed my brakes were getting really soft. Then all of a sudden no brakes at all. Squeeze the lever all the way to the bar with no resistance. Get back on the trail and the come back. Around that time I get this wierd rubbing/ratcheting/grinding sound. Its hard to explain. I limped it out, but anything over 10km/hr sounded horrible. I got it home and tore the suspension out and pulled the chaincase. Driveshaft is nice and tight. Jackshaft is nice and tight. The brakes do look and smell like they were heated up bad, but I cant figure it out. The lock wasnt on, and i wasnt using them when it happened cause I was riding through powder. Rotor is scored real bad, but the pads look like they have lots left.

Any ideas? Could a screwed up rotor cause that bad of a sound?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
somthing may have been stuck. no resistance on the lever tells me it got hot. possibly brake pads stuck closed.

have you checked the driveshaft bearing on the brake side?

sounds like you need to pull apart the brake and figure out what happened. if thats the source of the brake failure then guarantee the sound was coming from somewhere in there

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
somthing may have been stuck. no resistance on the lever tells me it got hot. possibly brake pads stuck closed.

have you checked the driveshaft bearing on the brake side?

sounds like you need to pull apart the brake and figure out what happened. if thats the source of the brake failure then guarantee the sound was coming from somewhere in there

Yeah, I have everything pulled except for the driveshaft and everything seems really tight. The only thing I can see wrong is signs of heat and the rotor is scarred up pretty good. The way it felt and sounded, I thought for sure I had a bearing gone or something. Its hard to describe the sound. Kind of like ratcheting. But definitely not ratcheting. It will do it if you are rolling along at 5mph, and then get progressively worse the faster you try to go.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it may be tight but have you physically spun the driveshaft with no resistance on it? ie track out?

either way id say inspect your caliper and brake rotor make sure they are in working order or try and find a used setup to replace it with.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it may be tight but have you physically spun the driveshaft with no resistance on it? ie track out?

either way id say inspect your caliper and brake rotor make sure they are in working order or try and find a used setup to replace it with.

No I havent done that. I was trying to avoid pulling it if I could but maybe Ill have to. Its just wierd. For how bad the sound was I thought I would tear things apart and find something REALLY obvious.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how did the chain look? overly loose?

still doesnt make the brakes fail though..

Chain looked good. Tension was perfect. I keep a really close eye on it.

Thanks for the feedback max.....Im gonna tear the driveshaft out right now. Ill post what I find.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with maxwell gotta have something to do with the brakes imo.
but i had huge noise this last weekend as well, sounded like a bearing gone, ripped everything out all is 100% just getting it all back together now, possibly piece of ice or something i dunno, was a good excuse to install extros on the wifes ride though anyways, seeing as i got it out right.:d

farwest

Reaction score
I heard thats how it sounds when the jackshaft bearing goes.

I would be looking at that bearing,it is so close to the brake rotor it could feel tight but if you were in low snow and it was dry it could have caused the heat.Or the heat from the brake fail could have over heated the bearing ???

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FFS.....Im just about ready to say fawk it and call it a season. Got my brake pads popped out, and noticed that the brake light sensor had popped out. So get pissing around with that and must have squeezed the brake lever a few times and pressed my caliper piston all the way out. Try pushing it back in and now I have brake fluid leaking down there so I must have wrecked something. Plus now the piston is in the way so I cant get any of the other stuff off. Ive pushed on the piston HARD and it will not go back in. Any ideas?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FFS.....Im just about ready to say fawk it and call it a season. Got my brake pads popped out, and noticed that the brake light sensor had popped out. So get pissing around with that and must have squeezed the brake lever a few times and pressed my caliper piston all the way out. Try pushing it back in and now I have brake fluid leaking down there so I must have wrecked something. Plus now the piston is in the way so I cant get any of the other stuff off. Ive pushed on the piston HARD and it will not go back in. Any ideas?

sucks man,,

I dont know how my guy fixed mine but same happend early in day lose pressure, it comes back by half way threw day zero presure and brakes look down fluid everywhere,, caliper bolt came out and pulling the brake made piston go all the way,,, he got it out and just replaced bolt, bled the line and all good,, rotor was also a bit chewy but seems ok,,, slamed new pads at it because brake fluid all over...

chitty deal,, but its not summer yet Dean

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a new 2011 174x3' XP WAITING IN THE GARAGE FOR YOU WITH WARRANTY LOL

Frick I wish. Could just alternate sleds every weekend and buy parts in bulk! Might have to start taking it easy on stuff. Havent got over two consecutive days on this thing this winter without breaking something.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U figure out what happened yet?

Hey Matt. No I havent really go into it yet. I didnt have big enough torx heads to get my driveshaft out so I said fukit. Heading to a conference in Vancouver tomorrow morning so decided to take a weekend off of riding. Ill get her figured next week.

As others have said, something must have happened with the brakes, heated them up and taken out the driveshaft bearings. They still feel tight, but I guess Ill see what they look like once I get the driveshaft out.

Really starting to think about Dwayne's sled (lightening1000). Be nice to have two. Even with my average of two days riding without wrecking something......two sleds would buy me four days of riding. haha

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well fawk me..........I cant figure this out. I have had the ENTIRE drive train out and apart. Everything looks like new. Bearings are all super tight. Tried new belt. Chain and sprockets look like new. Had primary apart. No rubbing on the track anywhere. Driveshaft is straight as an arrow. Drivers look good. Im ready to fuckin give up and call it a year.

Top Bottom