Help - grinding/rubbing sound

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering if you somehow the brakes stuck on and heated the rotor up - possibly warped it and know its making the brakes chatter/vibrate! - If a bearing has failed you would probably see some sort of sweating from the seal area. Sliders Ok - possibly track rubbing on rail > just thinking of suggestions. So have you reassembled the sled and ran it again since this happened ?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering if you somehow the brakes stuck on and heated the rotor up - possibly warped it and know its making the brakes chatter/vibrate! - If a bearing has failed you would probably see some sort of sweating from the seal area. Sliders Ok - possibly track rubbing on rail > just thinking of suggestions. So have you reassembled the sled and ran it again since this happened ?

Yeah, something wonky happened with the brakes. Not sure what, but they got hot and I lost them completely for a bit. Rotor looks a little scored, but definitely not warped. Im sure its not a bearing. Ill check the sliders but Im sure they are good. Yeah I have had it back together and ran it since taking everything apart and still the same thing.

Like the rotor isnt smooth to the touch. And the pads are the same. Could that cause this?

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looked at my rotor - its not real smooth either - so does it make the noise on a stand in the garage? guard not hitting rotor - just another thought ! what about running the sled on a stand - with the guard off and just running the sled at slow speed to see what the rotor / brake pads are doing?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looked at my rotor - its not real smooth either - so does it make the noise on a stand in the garage? guard not hitting rotor - just another thought ! what about running the sled on a stand - with the guard off and just running the sled at slow speed to see what the rotor / brake pads are doing?

You can feel it slightly on the stand. Its more pronounced when you ride the sled. Yeah I could definitely try that. It would be good to see what the chain is doing too so maybe Ill leave the cover off and try this. The guard was touching the rotor a bit when I took things apart. It definitely isnt now though.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dean, Have you checked your jackshaft brg yet? I'm wondering if your chasing the wrong issue. I can hear the rotor on my sleds dragging as well, but i've had to replace my jackshaft brg already on my 09, and while I was at it I replaced the all Brgs, seals, on the chaincase and the drive shaft. I also noticed the same noisy jackshaft brg on a team jackshaft that I had as well but that was VERY loud and noticable while riding.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a side note dean, My brgs when spun by hand, when removed made very little noise but made noise. Changed them out and all was well.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sled is perfect and still waiting, LOl ill even come for a roadtrip and deliver it and come riding with you for a few days. only 43 km on sled.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha.....if I buy a backup Dwayne its gonna be a turboed yami. Might be heavy but at least it will be reliable!

I dont think its the bearings Matt. They feel super tight. They dont make a sound.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just did this and figured out what the problem was in about two seconds. Two bolts were broken off in the back of my secondary. (the ones that bolt into the helix. With the sled on the sled stand you could see the secondary wowing in and out with each rotation. It got way worse the faster I reved it up. So all that work for a very easy fix. Two bolts. (gonna put four new ones)

The only thing is my bushing might be screwed now from the wobble. There is quite a bit of play in it. Any idea how to get the inside sheave off to change the bushing out on it? Do I have to press off the bearing and get at it from that side? Can a guy even buy a replacement bushing for the inner sheave?

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did this and figured out what the problem was in about two seconds. Two bolts were broken off in the back of my secondary. (the ones that bolt into the helix. With the sled on the sled stand you could see the secondary wowing in and out with each rotation. It got way worse the faster I reved it up. So all that work for a very easy fix. Two bolts. (gonna put four new ones)

The only thing is my bushing might be screwed now from the wobble. There is quite a bit of play in it. Any idea how to get the inside sheave off to change the bushing out on it? Do I have to press off the bearing and get at it from that side? Can a guy even buy a replacement bushing for the inner sheave?

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Deaner, you will want to check the clutch tower and the bearing behind secondary.
Seen the same thing happen with the secondary and then after tightening up bolts the bearing went south and then the tower.
Big mess and this was only a couple rides afterwards.
Just a thought and glad you found it, somethings can be a real pain in the arse to find.

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice dean. too bad you'll have to wait till i come back out to ride with me again, i'm sure you were crushed not being able to ride with me this past weekend :D

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice dean. too bad you'll have to wait till i come back out to ride with me again, i'm sure you were crushed not being able to ride with me this past weekend :D

Haha, yeah. It has been a frustrating winter for sure. I think maybe i just need to find a better mechanic.:)

Top Bottom