1982 YZ250 Help

2strokerYZ

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined this forum, and I am in need of some help. I just bought a 1982 Yz250 as a project bike last week. The bike ran but it had low compression. I pulled the motor and stripped the frame because I am going to get the frame powder coated. I took the head and cylinder off of the motor and noticed that the piston has a big crack in it. I am thinking I am going to need to get my cylinder bored or honed because there in only a small 2cm area of crosshatching visible. I am only 15 and this is my first time rebuilding an engine, but I do all the maintenance on my bikes and I figured it was time to learn how. My question is where can I send or take the cylinder to get redone? I live in Provost, Alberta, Canada. I was thinking of sending My cylinder to Forward Motion in the States and getting the 265cc service done because it says on their website they accept orders from Canada, but on the order form there is no option for country, only state and city. Has Anybody here dealt with Forward Motion or know anywhere in Alberta that I can take my cylinder? Any help would be appreciated!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you sure that that is a 82, because it looks like it has water jackets on the sides??? YZ went liquid cooled in 85 or 86, just after they went from yellow and black, to red and white.

2strokerYZ

Reaction score
Absolutely 100% sure it is an 82, 82 was the first year of liquid cooling for the 250, it was the only year that the radiator was mounted behind the front number plate

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Eric Gorr at Forward Motion knows how to make a 2 stroke sing. I was going to send him my YZ motor for the 295cc kit but just haven't been riding enough to justify it. He does accept orders from Canada.

If you want to keep costs down Mongoose, CV-Tech, Motts, and Millenium are all Canadian options.

Top Bottom