17 Axys sway bar removal?

Nuge

Reaction score
Any got any feedback on removing the swaybar ? Mostly ride the mountains but sometimes its a long trail ride in!

CLVTCH

Reaction score
I am not sure on the rationale either, but I have never ran either my Pro or my Axys with a sway bar, it's the first thing I take out. Now you have me wanting to put it back in and try it out? I hate second guessing myself...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never seen a need to remove the sway bar on the Pro rode or Axys. The Axys lays over so easily that I would prefer to maintain some trail manners for the whooped out days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLVTCH

Reaction score
It does handle a bit like a marshmallow on the trails!

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
please explain this rationale.

With the sway bar in the shock in the air will also give support to the shock that has now taken more weight since it is the only ski on the snow. If you don't have that extra support the shock will compress too easy causing the sled to feel spungy and un-stable. And when the rider gives input to the running board the shock will compress and the sled will squat instead of leaning up into the hill more causing the rider to have to pull on the handle bars with upper body strength to make the sled lean up hill. This is the same reason the t motion is nothing more than a gimmick to make the sled easier to tip on the showroom floor. In the real world it makes it act like a drunk person bobbing and weaving all over while on edge.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the sway bar in the shock in the air will also give support to the shock that has now taken more weight since it is the only ski on the snow. If you don't have that extra support the shock will compress too easy causing the sled to feel spungy and un-stable. And when the rider gives input to the running board the shock will compress and the sled will squat instead of leaning up into the hill more causing the rider to have to pull on the handle bars with upper body strength to make the sled lean up hill. This is the same reason the t motion is nothing more than a gimmick to make the sled easier to tip on the showroom floor. In the real world it makes it act like a drunk person bobbing and weaving all over while on edge.

I get what you're saying, but we have different opinions on the matter. It should be noted that when you pull your sway bar you have to stiffen your shocks, the stock shocks are crap and at the very least need a revalve. I had 3 xm's and had 0 issues with it acting unpredictable like you described. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference, just like handlebar height, cans, track length, etc. Everyone has a setup that works for them.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good conversation.

So, what are guys gaining by pulling the sway bar, if they are having to stiffen the shocks after removal??

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
So you are stuffining your shock to then make it act more like when it had the sway bar in. You are probably also extending the shock out of its proper length and sacrificing more than gaining. So when you go to lay the sled over and you compress a shock that is too stiff once the sleds center of gravity comes over to the top of your a arm the shock will now pogostick and make the front end jump into the hill. If it does this to much you now have to counteract that force with rider input.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you are stuffining your shock to then make it act more like when it had the sway bar in. You are probably also extending the shock out of its proper length and sacrificing more than gaining. So when you go to lay the sled over and you compress a shock that is too stiff once the sleds center of gravity comes over to the top of your a arm the shock will now pogostick and make the front end jump into the hill. If it does this to much you now have to counteract that force with rider input.

I think you are mistaking stiffening my shocks with tightening the coil over spring, the coil over maintains its spec for my weight. With the sway bar removed i recommend 4-6 clicks stiffer with your clickers, this is only possible with the upgraded shocks of course. If i had the standard monotube shocks a revalve would be mandatory before the sway bar was pulled.

The reason i pull my sway bar is because i like the body roll that it offers. My shocks are also set up fairly soft, i am 4 clicks up from the lowest setting. They have been revalved so they offer a plush ride for the first 60% of their stroke and then they stiffen up considerably to offer bottom out protection for the remaining 40%.

I removed the sway bar from my 08 dragon with those air shocks that weren't adjustable. Big mistake, especially cause i cut the bar out so it couldn't just bolt back in. At the very least a guy can pull out a link and give it a try for half the day, worst case ontario you bolt it back in, no harm done.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason i pull my sway bar is because i like the body roll that it offers. My shocks are also set up fairly soft,

That's interesting. So the body roll you like, is to make it easier to lay over?? At the start of every season, I find myself over riding the sled. What used to take a full foot forward pull doesn't need to anymore, to achieve the same or better result.

Or does the body roll allow to ride in a more neutral position??

CLVTCH

Reaction score
I remember why I took the sway bar out of my 2013. Had a buddy who is a long time rider tell me that the stock pro rmk a arms are prone to coming unglued... And once he pulled his sway bar he stopped having that issue as there isn't the pulling. I just smiled and pulled mine as well. Lol

Didn't think twice when I got the axys!

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. So the body roll you like, is to make it easier to lay over?? At the start of every season, I find myself over riding the sled. What used to take a full foot forward pull doesn't need to anymore, to achieve the same or better result.

Or does the body roll allow to ride in a more neutral position??

You're going to notice it more at slower speeds imo. Like when you are wanting to descend down through the trees, some foot pressure on either side will allow the sled to start transferring its mass over to the side you want easier.

Another advantage, imagine cruising along and under the snow one of your ski's contacts something hard, and i'm not talking a rock or stump, like an old track or whatever. If your ski's suspension works independently and is the softer side the rider will feel much less feedback and when you hit something very hard it'll cause less damage because the sway bar will transfer that energy through the chassis. A few of the 850's that are cracking bulkheads are doing so right where the sway bar mounts to the bulkhead.

Maybe i'm crazy, but it all works in my brain and makes me think i'm riding better. haha

Top Bottom