154 vs 163

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too funny all this for 4 inches hmmmm

but really one good point is rider size if your a big dude the more track the better.... but NO one can tell me a 163 maneuvers better then a 154 blower deep to hard pack??? its 4 inches shorter there for it has a shorter turning radius period how ever you want to look at it. even if thats a counter steered chit hook its still shorter??

go big and ya cant blame the sled lol

Honesty it's makes fawk all difference in radius for turns or button hooks.

I have spent a lot of time on both so why aren't we asking who has had both?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honesty it's makes fawk all difference in radius for turns or button hooks.

I have spent a lot of time on both so why aren't we asking who has had both?

good call man haha I have also riden all 3 sizes I will rip 146 and not complain I think the major point is there is NO major differance so why not just go bigger for those that are debating..... Im all for a 163 I hate digging my buddies haha

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see this little encounter. Too bad takethebounce fugged his leg, get him involved. Hell, might as well get oler123 involved too. I've rode with Johni a couple of times. I know my fat arse has trouble keeping up. All doo's too, with Chris on the old iron. I think he would do ok though.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see this little encounter. Too bad takethebounce fugged his leg, get him involved. Hell, might as well get oler123 involved too. I've rode with Johni a couple of times. I know my fat arse has trouble keeping up. All doo's too, with Chris on the old iron. I think he would do ok though.

like I said Im IN?? I like betting too

you all healed up? Im hoping to ride next friday.... come on pow

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the risk of the thread police being all over me again, no. Wearing the collar till april at least. My season is done. Had to go in the office too. Lost company truck, gas card, 4 year project, etc. Should write a country song about it. lol

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!!!!!!

Here are some facts

- anyone who says you can't maneuver a 163 like a 154 is full of it. Unless we're trying to button hook around a needle?

The 164 dominates in the trees, period. One of my riding buddies is 150 lb and started on the 146 and guess where he is at now and loving it? 163.

163 also does everything better everywhere else!

The only reason to buy a 154 is if you plan on riding at home in the flats. THAT'S IT!!

The best part about the 163 is you can pull off a downhill off camber button hook in deep snow and go back UP hill. A 154 will not do this. And it's an essential tool in the trees.
Ok if we are talking putting around the bush and climbing the odd pull maybe? Sidehilling up around a tree round the rock up the hill sidehill down around the tree back around uphill pissed backwards in dark.Aint gonna happen!!!!!!!!!:rant:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What am I doin?

It will have to wait until next winter.

I agree a 163 does well in the trees. It's forgiving. It does not react as quick and can require a little more input. But I am one of those guys who would rather run a 2.25" 163 because I can spin it easier. Being a lightweight has its disadvantages when getting sleds up on edge with big tracks in tight areas. My 154 I can shift my weight back easier to get pointed up hill.

I wouldn't have any issue riding a 163. I essentially flipped a coin when I bought my '12. I was already comfortable on the 154 and there isn't any hill I can't get over it when I ride with bigger guys. I like how 163's climb. They just tractor along. It is only 4" but it makes a difference.

sent from a top secret location

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What am I doin?

I agree a 163 does well in the trees. It's forgiving. It does not react as quick and can require a little more input. But I am one of those guys who would rather run a 2.25" 163 because I can spin it easier. Being a lightweight has its disadvantages when getting sleds up on edge with big tracks in tight areas. My 154 I can shift my weight back easier to get pointed up hill.

I wouldn't have any issue riding a 163. I essentially flipped a coin when I bought my '12. I was already comfortable on the 154 and there isn't any hill I can't get over it when I ride with bigger guys. I like how 163's climb. They just tractor along. It is only 4" but it makes a difference.

Yes if u seen this guy ride he don't need a 163. ....

But then he is not a fat kid and that makes a diff.

from my HTC

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What am I doin?

Just volunteering you to ride with maxwel,lol. I seen both you and Shawn going places on the 154, that I can't touch. Granted, I probably got 50lbs on both of you. I can't ride anymore this season, so just a little keyboard jocking I guess to get me through. Next season for both of us buddy. Stop over for a Kokanee when your up to it, I'll bend your ear on a few clutching theories/ideas I have for my sled.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will not maneuver the 163 like the 154! Not gonna happen! Will you be able to go the same places well sorta! In the deeper ofcourse the 163 shines. If you look at all the posts all the likes are because of flotation. If you get a chance to ride both the same day you will definately see the difference. That said I ride a 163 cause I like the fluff and climbs. I do not give a rats patudy about the bush or jumping. I also hate getting stuck and I have less of a chance with the 163.
i have ridden both short and long tracks!I had an 07 151 and when i found i could manoeuvre my brothers 06..162 with little extra effort i was amazed!!I also had my 07 rev changed to a 159 and noticed little difference if any in its handling .I am 6'1"and 205 lbs and that may make a difference ...but maybe not.There is an advantage to a shorter sled but in my OPINION for what its worth i like the longer 163.For how i ride and what i do the most 163 works much better.I rarely jump my sled unless its a drop into fresh snow and like Maxwell said a down hill butten hook and back up the hill is a job for the 163!!

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We can argue for days but the original post is about handling. I would assume if he lives in Sask. he likely gets to mtns 1-3 times a year. If he rides any amount at home he will be more satisfied with 154.However if he does not ride overly aggressive he will probably like the163. I ride the 163 and will not go shorter as long as I mtn ride but if I quit and ride here its gone. The 163's have come along way but they are not a 154 in terms of maneuverability !

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a point to this thread? I thought everyone was measuring how much of a man they were! :rolleyes:

Bayman, I think I was still in a 146 the last time I would have seen ya out riding. I will deffinetly stop by for a visit. I am still off my feet for another week. Thankfully they opted not to put screws into my ankle. The bones will heal over time.

If I lived in Sask I would only go a 146. If I was over 200 pounds total riding weight, so say 175 pounds rider I would maybe go 154 for my mountain trips. You can get by on deep days with shorter tracks. Just got to poach a track.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a point to this thread? I thought everyone was measuring how much of a man they were! :rolleyes:

Bayman, I think I was still in a 146 the last time I would have seen ya out riding. I will deffinetly stop by for a visit. I am still off my feet for another week. Thankfully they opted not to put screws into my ankle. The bones will heal over time.

If I lived in Sask I would only go a 146. If I was over 200 pounds total riding weight, so say 175 pounds rider I would maybe go 154 for my mountain trips. You can get by on deep days with shorter tracks. Just got to poach a track.

ya Im still short.... 154 lol

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from a 154 to a 163 and found it easier to sidehill, tree ride, climb, and just play on. I find the 163 wont wash out the ass end nearly as often on a steep sidehill and point me uphill loosing all my speed or digging one sweet deep trench. In the trees I can go way slower with extra flotation, and be more calculated, and not end up kissing a tree off the odd bounce at speed. Another bonus is what maxwell mentioned, you can point it up hill and it will climb not trench. It climbs better no question about it. General playing, I use less energy, get stuck less and can do things I couldn't on my 154. I have more energy at the end of the day riding my 163 than on my 154. I can no longer hit 100 mph on the hard pack with the 163 now but who cares about how fast it is at home. I can go get my old mans mach for that...

I would say step up the 163 and you'll never look back especially if everyone you ride with is on a 63. Being a light weight (150lbs) I could go almost everywhere my buddys on a 163 could go because they have 50-80 lbs on me. It took more effort sometimes with more sidehills back and forth but I got there. If your my weight or better your not going to notice the difference between a 163 and a 154 where ever you ride until you get handle bar deep days then you'll be thankful you got the 63 when your not constantly rolling your sled out of the trench you just dug.

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
How about fun factor? Will the 163 still catwalk like crazy and want to come over backwards when pounding drifts? My only concern with stepping up to a 163 is that it might not be as much fun when just playing around and also on those trips when the snow isn't insanely deep. I am usually riding trees and just playing around with the occasional high mark. I really like how the 154 stands up and is easy to throw around and just worried the 163 won't be as wild of a ride or come over backwards when a guy wants to lay it over on those steep drifts. I'm about 200 pounds and usually ride in revy, strictly mountain miles.

Top Bottom