154 vs 163

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 154 and 163 are differant sleds, even tho the 163 is only 4.5" longer it does make a differance. In 09 I had both, I found the 154 easier to jump, carve, and play on compared to the 163, it wheelied alot easier making it fun playing on drifts ETC, but when it came to climbing the 163 felt, and is alot better. Climbing steep lines on the 154 I had to lean way further over the bars to keep the sled from flipping over backwards, and in deep pow days. Well I asked myself this question alot while shoveling,"why didn't I bring my 163?"
If my wife would let me have two again I'd have a 2014 146 freeride in the garage along with my 163 LOL That new freeride is one nice sled!!

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last weekend in Revy Allrevsrule super duper light weight 174 short track wasn't enough sled in that powder but that doesn't happen all the time. I was happy to be on 163. However we spent time in bush and my sons 151 -2.5 was impressive in the thick bush. The 163 worked fine also but not as maneuverable as the shorty. Also helps to be young and crazy. Haha

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big question - what sled and length of track are you currently riding?
If you're currently on the '10 HCR or the '08 crossdresser, you should notice a HUGE improvement with either length of sled.

Question 2 - who's riding what in your group? Most of the old farts I ride with are all on older 159's. No need for anything longer than a 154 for me right now.

Spent a bit of time on a 163 last year and was really torn on which length also. New 154 this year, but there could easily be a 2015 - 163 snow check in my future.

I currently ride a 2010 153x2.5 hcr outwest, and my 2012 xf 800 around home.. Id like to sell them both and just run a 154 both places.. all my riding buddies out west run 162 cats.. but thats only a cpl trips a year

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stock 154 gets me around... Im game to go up against something bigger?

lets put the mystery to bed lol

154 easier to toss.... 163 obviousley a bit better floatation but that doesnt mean it goes further IMO.

dont worry if ya go doo u be happy either way

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess i'll hop on that crazy train too! My dad has the '13 154" i have '13 163" and we can play follow the leader in any deep tree riding. It is impossible to tell the weight difference between the two and if you say you can then back a few less beers and you will be the same! Who says 163" can't jump? They sure as hell can as i tested this out numerous times! I do recommend adding the factory stiffeners or buying the ice-age stiffeners. You can also make your own. Obviously you wont climb the chutes as well as a 163" but definitely makes it challenging.
But on that note I am also from Saskatchewan and do realize i cant ride as hard on the 163" flat land and have to slow down on the approaches. I have been contemplating the new freeride with a 3" track!
Again my own opinion.
Guess im nutz. you could buy my 11 154" and 12 163" at the end of this year though if ya like.lol

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I went from an 04 151 to th 13 163 and will never go smaller again. The wife has rode my 163 and that is what she will be snowchecking. She is going from an 08 146. I ride the tightest trees i can find and the 163 dominates. Also i have found out I can now back up in places i never thought possible.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just stretched out my cat from a 153 to a 162 and all I noticed was an increase of traction. Couldn't tell it was any longer by the way it handled and Im a flyweight.lol

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I chose the XM163" because my IQR has a 121" and sucks in the deep stuff and I needed a Poo break. Its good to have options.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
163 all the way!!!with a little extra effort you can manoeuvre the longer track just like a 154,but the shorter track can never float and drive through the deep snow like the longer track!!thats what i find anyhow.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
163 all the way!!!with a little extra effort you can manoeuvre the longer track just like a 154,but the shorter track can never float and drive through the deep snow like the longer track!!thats what i find anyhow.
You will not maneuver the 163 like the 154! Not gonna happen! Will you be able to go the same places well sorta! In the deeper ofcourse the 163 shines. If you look at all the posts all the likes are because of flotation. If you get a chance to ride both the same day you will definately see the difference. That said I ride a 163 cause I like the fluff and climbs. I do not give a rats patudy about the bush or jumping. I also hate getting stuck and I have less of a chance with the 163.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with most these posts if your riding the steep and deep go with the 163.
I ride a 162 it heavy as its a 1000 but hard to maneuver as well around home and you do feel it at the end of the day.
Best sled for everywhere riding we have owned so far is the wife's 04 600 rev sitting on the 144. Light and easy to maneuver just a little under powered for my fat azz but super fun sled to ride regardless

CanDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your close to or over 250 lbs - go with the 163 - better floatation will help you. You lose some manuverability in the trees and as others have said the 154 is easier to sidehill etc. Again, if your over or close to 250 - go with the bigger track.

t

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll break it down

Climbing- 163"
Trees- 154" or 163" I don't notice a difference
Trail rides- 154" tires you out less at the end of the day
Jumping-154" or 163" Both handle the same in the air you just have to be careful with the rails. Either way if you are planning to jump put the stiffeners in
Weight- 163" is 5 pounds heavier
Rider weight- A heavier rider should have a longer track for floatation but does the 7" really make that much difference?

Anyone feel free to add to this..It's my opinion only

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode a 146" for the last 3 years and have never been left behind. Although some days I find myself holding it to the bar for long periods of time just to get from point a to b.

The reason I snow checked a 163 is simply because I outrode my 146 in the first season, and I would hate to outride 154 and wish I had more. I like to push myself and I hate having to turn around on ch!t I know I can do but my sled just doesn't have the track to climb it.

I also plan to be 180 pounds by next season from 200. That said , I also plan to carry more gear and tools this next season. I have been really lucky to have guys with tools in my group and I want to make sure im more independent.

Finally I rode a XM this year in a 163 right after I got off my 2011 XP 146". My 146 felt like a hippo after riding that 163XM. So in my eyes, going from a 146 to a 163 is actually making things easier to ride thanks to the awesome changes from the XP to the XM.

Cheers

Last edited:

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will not maneuver the 163 like the 154! Not gonna happen!

Really??? I find the 162 easier to maneuver because you can slow down more in the trees thus giving you more control and confidence to go where you want. I have yet to see a buddy pull a line on a 153/154"that i can't hit on my 162"

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really??? I find the 162 easier to maneuver because you can slow down more in the trees thus giving you more control and confidence to go where you want. I have yet to see a buddy pull a line on a 153/154"that i can't hit on my 162"

Finally some one with sense.

Bottomless tree snow short tracks suck and I'm talking 155 and shorter. 163 is only 4 inches longer and floats sooo much better. I run a 155 in sask and when I am able to get a new sled i am getting a 163 and have no thoughts about its too long for here. I don't ride trails, I ride fields, will not notice the length in the fields but will have way more fun for the little time I get to spend out west. My trenching 155 wide open up a hill in the trees got stuck all the time. I had to look for old tracks under the fresh snow. Guys on their new 163 pros and Xms could pull off trail anywhere they wanted and sometimes almost stopped and re adjusted and took off again.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally some one with sense.

Bottomless tree snow short tracks suck and I'm talking 155 and shorter. 163 is only 4 inches longer and floats sooo much better. I run a 155 in sask and when I am able to get a new sled i am getting a 163 and have no thoughts about its too long for here. I don't ride trails, I ride fields, will not notice the length in the fields but will have way more fun for the little time I get to spend out west. My trenching 155 wide open up a hill in the trees got stuck all the time. I had to look for old tracks under the fresh snow. Guys on their new 163 pros and Xms could pull off trail anywhere they wanted and sometimes almost stopped and re adjusted and took off again.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Here are some facts

- anyone who says you can't maneuver a 163 like a 154 is full of it. Unless we're trying to button hook around a needle?

The 164 dominates in the trees, period. One of my riding buddies is 150 lb and started on the 146 and guess where he is at now and loving it? 163.

163 also does everything better everywhere else!

The only reason to buy a 154 is if you plan on riding at home in the flats. THAT'S IT!!

The best part about the 163 is you can pull off a downhill off camber button hook in deep snow and go back UP hill. A 154 will not do this. And it's an essential tool in the trees.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too funny all this for 4 inches hmmmm

but really one good point is rider size if your a big dude the more track the better.... but NO one can tell me a 163 maneuvers better then a 154 blower deep to hard pack??? its 4 inches shorter there for it has a shorter turning radius period how ever you want to look at it. even if thats a counter steered chit hook its still shorter??

go big and ya cant blame the sled lol

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!!!!!!

Here are some facts

- anyone who says you can't maneuver a 163 like a 154 is full of it. Unless we're trying to button hook around a needle?

The 164 dominates in the trees, period. One of my riding buddies is 150 lb and started on the 146 and guess where he is at now and loving it? 163.

163 also does everything better everywhere else!

The only reason to buy a 154 is if you plan on riding at home in the flats. THAT'S IT!!

The best part about the 163 is you can pull off a downhill off camber button hook in deep snow and go back UP hill. A 154 will not do this. And it's an essential tool in the trees.

lets go and we see who keeps up to who..... its basic science Im not saying a 163 is a tank but 4 inches is 4 inches ya know so it is just a bit easier to toss period and 4lbs lol.

Top Bottom