15 Pro wont start troubleshooting

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So was riding chappell creek yesterday with deep powdery snow, ran flawless and like a top all day long. Put it in the trailer cranked the heat and half dried it up so skids were clear. Went to Allen today and again was running stellar flying up the trail to the 6km mark. It then felt as if it was not running as smooth, I could feel it through the throttle if that makes sense. So I pulled over, was idling ok but decided to turn it off. Went to start it 5 mins later and could not get it too fire, engine still turning over however via both the pull cord and primary clutch. Pulled plugs and they went dark (black) and dry as could be. I put new plugs back in but would still not go. I tested each side for compression with one plug off at a time and pulling the chord and each are puffing what I believe to be normal. Anyways towed it down and now I am trying to find a solution now. Thinking its either a frozen fuel line that froze on the way up the trail and choked off fuel. Or a fuel pump or filter. Hoping this isn't signs of piston slapping and wear against the skirts already. Sled has on 450 miles on it now. Any advice and thoughts are appreciated!

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also feel that it is worth noting, I had jerrys of Esso fuel for second day which "may contain up to 10% Ethanol" and did not have the resistor changed to ethanol setting.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless it has changed recently, Esso Premium 91 is still eth free. The 10% is a blanket statement as to meet the eth requirements they need to have average 5% across. Last I fully looked into it couple years ago it went 10% 87, 5% 89, 0% 91. All of the fuels higher than 91 have ethanol last I checked. Shell, Esso, and Co-op have eth free 91.

Was there a strong spark? Any fuel on the new plugs after pulling it over repeatedly?

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me last year. A lot of snow melted and that bag below the handle bars filled with water. I put the tarp over a hot motor and the water ran down the wires.

It was fine til I hit the trail.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no signs of fuel on the new plugs. After having it in the shop ad completely thawed out and dry I have made some progress. Tested the fuel pump with 12v via the harness cluster above left shock tower. Runs fine and can even hear fuel settling out when I disconnect power. Also pulled plugs again and put a couple drops of fuel in top of each cylinder and put plugs back in. Fired second pulled and even stayed running. However was not smooth and only idling at 1600 rpm whereas typical warmup and idle rpm is 1800. Its gotta be a fuel filter or problem with pressure in the system. I think...

ken.gee

Reaction score
Did you happen to give it throttle when it was idling poorly? In my experience a plugged fuel filter will starve the motor of fuel when on the throttle. Might be a simple way of confirming/eliminating the filter as the cause! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to give it throttle when it was idling poorly? In my experience a plugged fuel filter will starve the motor of fuel when on the throttle. Might be a simple way of confirming/eliminating the filter as the cause! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

unfortunately the fuel filter was not the issue. Need to test the fuel pressure the pump is sending out

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is your throttle clear of ice and snow?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
using an amp clamp, test the red wire to the fuel pump. should be 4.4-4.5. if it's higher then 4.8 your pump is gone. also check tps

matm8snopro

Reaction score
Some of the early released 15 pro's have a fuel pump recall. Mine didn't, but my buddies did. Check with your dealer. Can't remember exactly what it's about, something about the fuel pump and air in the system.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the early released 15 pro's have a fuel pump recall. Mine didn't, but my buddies did. Check with your dealer. Can't remember exactly what it's about, something about the fuel pump and air in the system.

Interesting, didn't know that. Ive taken the sled into dealer now to have them test it out and figure the problem. Warranty expired Dec 1 2015...dealer is going to try and push for it to be covered. I always try to avoid going to the stealarship but hopefully polaris will cover parts if required. Also doing lower belt drive bolt recall while its there

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 14 started great today. went about 3-4 kms then about a 1/4 throttle is coughed and sputtered but at idler it was great. turned around and it got worst on the way back to the truck.?????

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 14 started great today. went about 3-4 kms then about a 1/4 throttle is coughed and sputtered but at idler it was great. turned around and it got worst on the way back to the truck.?????

Fuel filter ended up being my issue, once the dealer did a pressure test fuel pump had 62psi. Then it fired right up. I am thinking after I put the new filter there was still an air lock that eventually got pushed through. If its getting worse then fuel filter likely could be your issue

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is at the dealer right now so I will use my son's 600 so I can still ride
Fuel filter ended up being my issue, once the dealer did a pressure test fuel pump had 62psi. Then it fired right up. I am thinking after I put the new filter there was still an air lock that eventually got pushed through. If its getting worse then fuel filter likely could be your issue

Top Bottom