144 to 151

1990_phazer

Reaction score
hey everyone. im new here. i have a 1990 yamaha phazer 2 with a 144 track but i wanna go with a 151 track and i dont wanna buy a new skid. i wanna use the one i have so i was going to go with rail extentions. so i was wondering how long of extenders do i have to buy? thanks for the info.

1990_phazer

Reaction score
yeah actually it does have a tunnel extension on it and rail extentions. how long of extionsions would i need for 136 to 151?

snowdad4

Reaction score
from 136-151 you would need 7.5" extensions. if it does infact have rail extensions on it now from 136-144 and they were about 4" long, you could relocate the skid and save from buying new extensions. pretty much free, just labor. confirm your existing track size by counting the number of drive lugs inside the track or the windows if they are all open(or count the non open as open) and multiply by 2.52.

snowdad4

Reaction score
assuming you have stock 136 rails, after removing the rail extensions on it now, yes, 7.5" extension per rail. check your vin # located on the right side of the tunnel just below where the tank meets the seat. post the first three digits only so i can confirm what sled you have. i dont show the 136 phazer until 91.

1990_phazer

Reaction score
there is no vin tag on it. it got rubbed off haha. but yeah its a 136 extended to a 144. im going to build my own extentions. thanks for all the help . i appreciate it. im going to ask more questions once i get into this build.

JBDoo

Reaction score
My question is, how is the little 488 fan cooled engine going to pull a 151" track? I ran a 87 Phazer back in 91 and took it to Revy with the stock .7" 121 track and got around Boulder and Frisbee, but we weren't doing any extreme climbing by no means....lol . It was late season riding and I was ALOT lighter then, but I just can't imagine that engine pulling a 151" track with I'd imagine a 2" lug? It must damn near climb straight up already with the 144" you have on there. It must be geared down quite a bit to pull the track thats on it now.

1990_phazer

Reaction score
the motor is bored to as big as it can go. im going to try it but if she dont move then ill pull the 488 and put my buddys srx 700 triple in her haha

JBDoo

Reaction score
the motor is bored to as big as it can go. im going to try it but if she dont move then ill pull the 488 and put my buddys srx 700 triple in her haha

That would be sweet...I have a 87 Phazer short track here and I would like to throw a 583 or 670 in it....:) A triple may be a bit tight....send pics

1990_phazer

Reaction score
i might not use his motor now. its liquid cooled. mine is fan cooled but a vk540 bored out would be wild haha. what gear ration would i need to run if im running a 151 track with a 488 motor? another thing is how much would a 151 track with 2 inch paddles off a nytro cost? track has been used twice.

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iHad a 96 phazer piped , ported, fresh air kit, all the goodies. it had 136 /2 inch track running small drives and geared for 60 mph. it was all that engine could take in the deep powder. if you drop and roll you chain case and run stock drivers you might be able to turn a 151 1 1/2. that poor engine only has about 90 h/p all decked out . if all you are using it for is trapping or trail rideing you should be good . hope it works out for you

twincam88

Reaction score
you will have way more money into that phazer than you would a newer nytro. keep it the way it is and buy a newer sled. hate to rain on your parade but your just going to waste your money!

coolcam

Reaction score
I went from 121 to 144 on my 89 exciter 570 liquid cooled. Didn't have to change the gearing because i had to put in smaller drivers and that changed the ratio enough to keep the power up. I put 136 extensions on and then moved the skid back to take up the rest of the slack. I ran it all last season with no problems. (atleast no track related problems, but it's still a Yamaha).

1990_phazer

Reaction score
been a while since ive been on here. change in plans. gonna buy new sled and just fix this one up with new 144 track

Top Bottom