'14 quick drive bolt sheared off

snowslut

Reaction score
I guess it's a common problem to have the bolt shear off around 1200km. Mine broke this morning at eagles pass. Anyone else have the same issue

Stroked108

Reaction score
I started a thread a few days ago about the 14 belt drives and it seems like no one was having problems with their 14's. I have about 1000 k on my 14 with no issues at all

snowslut

Reaction score
I thought it may have been over torqued too. And today I actually blew a quick drive belt in arm pit deep powder. Very disappointed

Bergler

Reaction score
My 13 did the same. It ended up being the jack shaft and bearings were toast.
You could put mine on a stand and run it. You could see everything wobbling around in there.
Hopefully this is not the case for you. But I thought I would share my experience with those bolts breaking.
Also after we changed the jack shaft and bearings, 3 rides later the driveshaft broke right at the bearing on the PTO side. It maybe was fatigued from the wobble.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 10.9 hardness bolts in stock, equal to grade 8 (stock are 8.8 or grade 5) 25mm (bottom bolt) is 5mm longer than stock and 40mm (top, same length as stock) $10/pair as I had to pay freight to get them here.

If you have a 2013, I believe both stock are 20mm long so the 25mm may work well for you..

Also I have not heard of any of the upgraded bolts from 2013 breaking. Has anyone seen this?

And I wonder how many 2014 quick-drive belts are breaking?, I only heard of a couple so far.

Chris

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what would cause the bolt to break. Near as I can tell, it's only job is to hold the lower pully from sliding off the shaft.

snowslut

Reaction score
There is no play in the quick drive. I figure the bolt was over torqued from factory and there was damage to my belt when the pully flew off. I'm looking to change to a high grade. Haven't had time to find a place in Edmonton that sells them

turbo man 21

Reaction score
when you were checking did you pull your caliper off and check for play I have had 3 2014 do this the belts are so tight u would think the bearing would go first it is wearing the sharft out and the bearings wear fine the quick drive bolts are only and should be tqr to 45ftlbs

05765scott

Reaction score
Well the pro did it again. I was riding wicked snow in Valemount and bottom quick drive bolt snapped off. Coasting down a hill to stop for lunch heard a ting
Tried to stop nothing happened managed to stop sled before hit the trees to
find pulley and belt in bottom of pan. Couldn't get busted bolt out it sheared off inside of shaft was able to slide pulleys and belt on rigged up some backyard fix and rode down to truck. So why did bolt break? I ride pretty easy no jumping launching running over trees etc. the belt was still good it's hard enough to get belt back on I was able to slowly drive 18kms back to truck with no bolt just taking it easy. Sled a2014 pro no mods, 800km no issues except a carbon fiber upper structor left tube pull out on last trip. My riding buddy had a a arm pull out, upper structor pull out same as me what else can I expect from this sled????? My cats only failure that wasn't my fault was a busted primary spring and a gauge in 10000kms of owning four of them. So far four trips and two trips to dealer for warranty. Must say cycle works are doing a great job in taking care of me and getting me back on the snow not there fault sled has a few bugs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Top Bottom