14/15 pine pass conditions

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well boys the snow is starting to fall in the south rockies. Any locals that can chime in on whats going on up north?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
currently there are stumps, rocks, and trees....no snow....but it is cool out and moisture should fall as snow in the hills

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you guys stage at powder king and go from there?

I've seen a few guys pull into a pullout after the railway bridge after bijoux falls (going north).

I live in Prince George and hope to ride the pass this year (after our groups avy training), Ive seen some guys ride along the highway but I trust the deeper you go in the deeper the snow?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the staging point for old friend is just about right across the highway from powder king if I remember right. And yes generally as you climb up/back into the bush there's more snow than there is at the road.

Bergler

Reaction score
Parking/Sledding is not permitted on Powder Kings property. They don't like sledders.
You can go west or east from there. There is lots of areas to ride. Like absledder mentioned there is more snow once you start climbing but I use the base of powder king as a good indication when we can get started. Most areas around pine pass start 2800-3000 feet, then climb.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay I think I know what pull out your talking about, the big one with the light post in the middle On the right going up the hill going to powder king (heading north)?

Would there be any guys experienced riding the pass willing to have a group of 5-6 tag along with them to get a 'tour' late feb?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay I think I know what pull out your talking about, the big one with the light post in the middle On the right going up the hill going to powder king (heading north)?

Would there be any guys experienced riding the pass willing to have a group of 5-6 tag along with them to get a 'tour' late feb?

I've only rode the pass once myself (hopefully a bunch more this winter) but if my group has room I'll be sure to invite you. More local guys like clode and bergler and I'm sure theres lots of others might be a better bet lol as its a 10ish hour drive for me. I cant remember who but I know there are definitely other members who live right in prince george that you might be able to ride with?

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parking/Sledding is not permitted on Powder Kings property. They don't like sledders.
You can go west or east from there. There is lots of areas to ride. Like absledder mentioned there is more snow once you start climbing but I use the base of powder king as a good indication when we can get started. Most areas around pine pass start 2800-3000 feet, then climb.

Your are right that Powder King does not allow unloading/loading of sleds. I am not sure you are correct about them not liking sledders. In the past there has been some issues with sledders riding their groomed trails and just generally being azzhats I have attached the agreement PK has come to with sledders. It is defiantly not the most friendly of guidelines but obviously they have had trouble before and had to take a hard stand. I hope if any sledders ride in the area that they help with building a relationship with PK and not make it worse. If PK grows we could all have another sledding destination to go to.

Sorry for the long post

http://www.powderking.com/index.php/download_file/view/111/141/

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I very rarely drive to PK to ride, all I can say is park by the railroad track overpass and avoid the ski-hill...
PK this morning

165.jpg

Bergler

Reaction score
I call BS on how much Powder King is trying to say they own. They do not own all the way to the railway overpass. They would like to think they do. I will try to find out how far they actually do own.

Bergler

Reaction score
I am not a rocket scientist but I think the benefit of claiming that you would have more land than what you actually own would be. you would end up with more land than you actually own.

Last edited:

Bergler

Reaction score
This is a message from Frock from last year.

"I looked into their tenure claims 2 years ago. I called the government dept responsible for maps of BC and got the latest for that area sent to me. According to that map Powder King does have rights to the area all the way over to the survival cabin on the powerline at the edge of the Pine. They do not have rights to the area all the way over to the Bijoux Trail though, as they have been claiming (and are still claiming in this notice). Their rights end just south of Azu. It's hard to tell on the map, but I would say less than 1/2 km on the Bijoux side of Azu. Just an FYI if you're playing on the pipeline or in the trees over there, they cannot kick you out as they have tried to do to some sledders in the past."

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a message from Frock from last year.

"I looked into their tenure claims 2 years ago. I called the government dept responsible for maps of BC and got the latest for that area sent to me. According to that map Powder King does have rights to the area all the way over to the survival cabin on the powerline at the edge of the Pine. They do not have rights to the area all the way over to the Bijoux Trail though, as they have been claiming (and are still claiming in this notice). Their rights end just south of Azu. It's hard to tell on the map, but I would say less than 1/2 km on the Bijoux side of Azu. Just an FYI if you're playing on the pipeline or in the trees over there, they cannot kick you out as they have tried to do to some sledders in the past."
Your right on all accounts my dad lives in the old village right next to Jimmy the owner and it's not pk land. As far as riding any climbing in that area try to stay a couple clicks past the old ski hill as it's called the Easter run and our trenches screw it up pretty good. All the locals ski that area regularly as good as I looks going up it's just as fun coming down on a board! To ski it you hike to the top, go around the elevator shaft and come down through all the rolling sick powder to a tow sled.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right on all accounts my dad lives in the old village right next to Jimmy the owner and it's not pk land. As far as riding any climbing in that area try to stay a couple clicks past the old ski hill as it's called the Easter run and our trenches screw it up pretty good. All the locals ski that area regularly as good as I looks going up it's just as fun coming down on a board! To ski it you hike to the top, go around the elevator shaft and come down through all the rolling sick powder to a tow sled.

What Polarblu said; it's not about saying F U to the ski hill. It's about getting along with all the other users that live and ski/board there. There is lots of area there so why shouldn't we move a couple kms past Azu before blasting up the hill, may win over some allies if we ever need them down the road.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clode, feb 14/15 avy course in PG with hangfire

Alright sounds good, I'll have to head over to the snowmobile club and inquire about it

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I ride this area a fair bit. We have stopped and talked to the skiiers on the pipeline. I can see their point about not using the trail just south of the ski hill that goes up to the powerline. I can't remember what it is called. We head down to the Bijoux trail and go up there.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I ride this area a fair bit. We have stopped and talked to the skiiers on the pipeline. I can see their point about not using the trail just south of the ski hill that goes up to the powerline. I can't remember what it is called. We head down to the Bijoux trail and go up there.

Are you referring to the Easter Run? Ancient if you ride a couple kms down the pipeline you can start poking up there, it's still some decent tree riding and you're far enough down you won't f' up the skiers/boarders. I like to do that right up to the powerline then take that trail across to the Bijoux.

Top Bottom