12v Aux plug

skoalman

Reaction score
has any one installed a ciggrett lighter on there sled? can this be done? i thought i could just tap into the light wire to get power

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure what kind of sled you have but there might be wires set aside for aux out

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
has any one installed a ciggrett lighter on there sled? can this be done? i thought i could just tap into the light wire to get power

Yes, it can be done and yes, I have had one installed.

This is not a project for the uninitiated! The electronics in our newer sleds makes this a daunting task (ie ECM, EFI, and a few others that I don't bother to remember). I was not sure how to doo it and I got conflicting information from various sources (I was smart enough to figure that part out....) so I bit the bullet and paid the dealer.

One needs the proper amps without robbing from something else. Saying that, you have to consider everything that could be plugged into the 12V outlet, not just a "small draw" battery charger.

The peeps on this site will surely chime in and give you great advise so that you can tackle it by yourself. Good luck, fs:xmas2004_15::xmas2004_15:

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure what sled you have but i put one on my 07 M8 for the gps....works awesome...i talked to the dealer when i was getting some other work done and he showed me which wires to tap into (actually there was an aux power connector on mine)...that's prob your best bet to avoid any problems

(or if you have a cat there is a nice thread on here - with pictures - i'll try and look and post the link)

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ski-doo sells a kit to install one on most sleds. On an XP (Summit anyways) there are two separate circuits set aside for accessories.

As FernieSnow said overloading is a big concern on new sleds you need to watch where you're drawing your power from. I've been told that stealing power from the wrong circuit can leave the vacuum operated rave valves short on juice. I'm sure the same would apply on a cat.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first question that needs to be asked:

What are you trying to power?

If its a cell phone charger, yes it can be done. If you are trying to run a TV and DVD player then its not going to work.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curious whether people are installing the cigarette lighter on the dash (Ski-doo XP), and plugging into that, or if they are hard wiring the unit under the hood. I would think that if you use the cigarette lighter on the dash, it might get snow in it and short out, when in deep powder. I know that my Garmin Etrex Legend HCx converts the 12V down to 5.5V right in the cigarette lighter plug, so hard wiring is not an option with this one. Would it be wiser to hide the cigarette lighter plug under the hood somewhere?

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i picked up a cigarette lighter outlet from canadian tire that had a rubber cap to seal it when i wasn't using it...then i mounted mine under the hood...right on the firewall (not sure what it's called on a sled but you get the idea)....ran the power cord down the steering post and through the plastic with the rest of the wires and then just plug it in...usually carry a phone charger cord too just in case i'm in an area with reception and have an emergency

tip: i had to put a big glob of hot glue over the nut that held everything together at the bottom of the outlet....first time i went out after the install the vibrations from the sled worked everything apart and it shorted out and i blew a fuse...sled went into limp mode because of it until fuse was replaced...the glue kept this from happening again

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take caution as to how you wire it up.
I put a 12v plug on my REV and plugged in my Garmin RINO into it.
It worked fine, then one day the GPS stopped working. I was told that the power source from sleds, (maybe not todays's sleds) can surge and wreck electronics.
Snowbunje makes a regulator with a small battery to correct this. I would recommend something like this

Top Bottom