125sx issue

heyhey

Reaction score
I was wondering what the mixing ratio for a 2003 ktm 125sx because the guy I bought it off told me 40:1 so I called Royal just to be certain and they said 50:1.My friend has a mixing jug that has instructions how to mix 50:1 so that's what I have been doing but it feels like it is kind of bogging down and then this weekend I was riding and my bike just stalled and wouldn't start so when we got back I took out my spark plug and it was totally black.I would assume this is because I am using too much oil and the measuring jug is inaccurate does anyone know what's wrong?

heyhey

Reaction score
I'm going to try atually measuring and not going by the stupid mixing jug be ause it seems like way too much oil to be 50:1.I'll definitely try riding it harder though and hopefully get in one more ride before snow

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always had the same issues with my 105 SX. I had to carry 2 sets of extra spark plugs with me every time I hit the trails. I think I mixed mine at 40 or 45:1, but they really are a race bike and their designed to be pinned non-stop. I had the jetting adjusted to accomodate higher elevations since thats what I rode the majority of the time, and it helped a bit but it would still foul plugs occasionally and I think it was because I just couldn't ride it hard enough he way its meant to be and its impossible for me to ride in 6th gear pinned when your going through narrow bush trails.. so that is why I got rid of it and got the 4 stroke.

The 50:1 is only a recommendation and that is based on the bike being raced more than likely, so if your not racing it then you could probably play around with the ratio until you find something that works. Might want to try leaning out the carb too, adjust the jetting, etc

Mr Husaberg

Reaction score
40:1 means that you have more oil: ie 40 liters of gas to 1 liter of oil. This mixture makes the gas a little "thicker" causing the bike to run leaner than on 50:1. So running 50:1 may cause you to run a little richer and be more prone to fouling plugs.

So 20 Liters of gas and 500ml of oil will give you a perfect 40:1. A new plug and fresh gas and you should be good to go. If the plug fouls in less than a couple of rides than jetting is in order.

All two stroke KTMs I have owned need to be leaned out on the pilot jet by at least one size to cure them from fouling plugs. One leaner on the main helps too but if you go to the coast or ride when its cold be carefull!

heyhey

Reaction score
I bought a new spark plug and it only took 2 kicks to start and then I actually measured properly and haven't had any problems.I also took the advice of riding harder so now I am not having problems with the bike and having more fun.Another problem though.My friend got his bike stuck and I lost my shoes in the mud and my feet were freezing cold(they were purple when we got back)and I couldn't feel my legs or feet and I fell going through a hole I couldn't see and landed on my clutch and now the lever is messed up and the clutch isn't working.What should I do.

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy some motocross boots and take riding lessons ? Trade the bike for a quad and promise to never ride a KTM again ?

heyhey

Reaction score
I can ride fairly good when I haven't been standing bare foot in mud for over an hour.the reason I don't own boots is because I do not have money for any right now. But what's wrong with ktm?I did t mention the fact that I was in pain putting my feet on the pegs and couldn't even start the bike because my feet hurt so bad and I wasriding with my feet off the pegs and I only fell because I didnt put my foot down because I didn't wanna hurt my feet

Last edited:

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummmm...... riding lessons will teach you never to get on a bike without the proper riding gear which includes appropriate footwear which I'm pretty sure does not include shoes. If you can afford a bike, you can afford proper boots, new or used. I have a garage full of KTM's. Maybe you should trade it off for something from China, then you could afford some boots.

heyhey

Reaction score
I'm 15 and have no job so I was just able to afford the bike...I think I know what I can and can't afford better than you.I would also never trade a ktm for a Chinese bike especially after the last Chinese pos I owned.the point of the question wasnt asking if I should get boots.I would have been fine of I hadn't stood in q mud hole for over an hour lifting out a bike that wouldn't have been stuck if the rider had stayed on the throttle.I was asking how to fix my clutch which was pulled forward and I then pushed back and now there's alot of play in the little hydraulic shaft thing

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess its a good thing you dont have a job? Dont have to miss work after you crashed in bare feet like a bag of douche

heyhey

Reaction score
I was fine the next day.Shouldn't you be down hilling or something?

Last edited:
Top Bottom