100 Mile Assault.......King of Boat Anchors!!!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was from head design and detonation my buddy should have blown his up along time ago.. He ran it for about 700miles already, with the wires plugged in and was running ethanol blended fuel.. The wires should have been unplugged, and now are..

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, the dealer told me to unhook it UNLESS you were using Ethanol fuel, which they did before I even picked it up. My dealer also told me they would cover me, not knowing who "they" are (I sure hope it's not the dealerships who are having to step up) they will cover "snow ingestion," which is what they claim was the cause of my meltdown. I sure hope they step up and do something......for those not affected YET and those affected.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope they do something soon, as I dont care to go to the mountains and site in the cabin or have to have the sled hauled out by chopper because of this. I have not had any problems as of yet but havent ridin anything deep. Going to be going to McBride mid Feb (and hopefully sooner too) and dont want any problems with the Assault.

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone told me the reason I didn't blow it up in the mountains but rather on the Praires was because "mountian snow is wetter and praire snow is drier" thus the wetter the snow the heavier..........................are you $%^ing kidding me. Everyone has an excuse and this is the kind of thing that scares me........DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM INSIDE POLARIS.......I'm not feeling to good about our chances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone told me the reason I didn't blow it up in the mountains but rather on the Praires was because "mountian snow is wetter and praire snow is drier" thus the wetter the snow the heavier..........................are you $%^ing kidding me.

Thats funny.. When i went up on this past tuesday and played in like 4ft of powder it wasn't heavy, it was fluffy and blowing in your face all day long.. If i was you if they say that it isn't going to be covered or give you a hassle about it i'd ask for the phone number for polaris's customer service, and give them a call and b*&ch at them about it..

M

mattmedic

Yes, the dealer told me to unhook it UNLESS you were using Ethanol fuel, which they did before I even picked it up.

I hope that you are mistaken, but the wires are to be unplugged if using ethanol fuel, and plugged in for regular type fuel, hope that wasnt your problem??????

GRD

Reaction score
If unsure of the fuel, keep the enthanol plug unplugged!

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does anyone know if Polaris has been covering these under warranty? I agree that we shouldnt have to go and buy extra filter kits to protect these sleds that are built to run in the back country. Polaris needs to step up and do the right thing.

Has this been happening on the Dragon also?
yep, mid-december one guy we were riding with seized his, pto side. next day was another being towed out, seized up as well. both 800's

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates as to what Polaris is doing about this issue?

Have the ones that siezed been covered by warranty?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A '09 dragon came in today that the guy said he used his scratchers all the time but his sliders are totally gone and wore right thru the rails aswell.. So will need rails and sliders, and the rear suspension is messed up as the front shock doesn't seem to release properly.. The poo's are also seeming to be having an issue with the pipe insulation covers coming apart.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The short and sweet of the hole story is Polaris is aware of the issue and starting in the US to re flash the ECU due to a lean spot in the mid range, should be a dealer tip coming down the Pipe to Can ASAP.

BD

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
If the melt downs are from snow injection this is what I did to stop the snow from going into the gapping hole in the air box. I did this for my 08 D8 and it works fantastic. You don't have to silicone any holes or pi$$ around with re-sealing the headlight housing like some have mentioned.

Since the addition of the air intake, I have rode many times in 4+ feet of fresh powder without a problem. I bought it from Timbersled Products at www.timbersled.com

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 52407%20028%20(Small).jpg
    52407%20028%20(Small).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 57

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
Not really. The air intake comes as a kit. I siliconed the base of the air intake to the top of the air box to ensure that no snow would get into the air box. I then screwed the air intake in place.

Second, I made the hole in the hood cowling bigger for the air intake to fit through when the hood is closed.

Third, I ripped out the foam socks that are behind the air vents on the hood to allow more air movement to get to the air intake. Once you make the hole bigger in the cowling (in step #2) you can reach your hand through and take out the foamies. Or you can remove the dash and do it that way too. The entire install took about 30 minutes and about three beers.

Cost was about $225.00. I figured that was cheap vs. fighting with Polaris for warranty and losing weeks of riding due to engine failiures. I personally did not like the design of the gapping hole on top of the air box. I think its too easy for snow injestion and other debris to get into the engine and cause all types of problems.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you sell them?

If not maybe you should.:d

Think I may need one.:rant:

Hate having to pay money out when Polaris should be fixing the problem.:mad:

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
Do you sell them?

If not maybe you should.:d

Think I may need one.:rant:

Hate having to pay money out when Polaris should be fixing the problem.:mad:

I don't sell them but you can order them direct from Timbersled Products

As far as needing one, I think it makes a lot of sense to have this. it's a really simple install and a simple fix to a big problem. I was also worried about salt and road grime getting into the hole before I put on the intake. There are sensor's in the air box and a little salt would start the corrosion process and then more troubles! I agree about paying for a Polaris screw up but even on the 09's they haven't fixed the problem either! It seems that it's just the way it is. Every manufacturer seems to be this way.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A '09 dragon came in today that the guy said he used his scratchers all the time but his sliders are totally gone and wore right thru the rails aswell.. So will need rails and sliders, and the rear suspension is messed up as the front shock doesn't seem to release properly.

That's my buddies sled, wasn't very happy last night when I talked to them. Maybe a day on a rental Cat will have him changing brands.:d I think I want to be there when he takes it back to the dealer!!! My brother in laws 08 800 Dragon ate the sliders in 275 miles.

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
I think the problem with the hi fax wear is the polaris tracks are not fully clipped. The track is only clipped every 2nd window. I noticed that unless I am in at least 1 foot of powder I need the scratchers down. I notice the sled acting sluggish in a matter of a few feet if I don't have the scratchers down on the trails.

Jenkie

Reaction score
Uturn,

I had the dealer install idler wheels on my 09 dragon, cuz they only come with scratchers, and have about the same milage. I have not made it to the deep stuff yet, just ditch banging and river/field riding - been using the scratchers on hard packed, but not in the fields - have no wear that I can see yet.

Top Bottom