09 M8 clutch?

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i was looking at my primary clutch last night and i noticed that one of the rollers was all the way to one side so it was missing its spacers. do i need to replace the whole clutch now? i am going to tear the clutch apart further today but am really curious if i should even bother if i have to order a new one.
it also looks like the pads that the spider that slide are worn out as well. sled has 1100 miles.
i will try and post up some pics later today.
thanks in advance.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just went out and double checked the clutch again so i am only concerned about the roller now as the rest apprears okay. so attached is the pics of the one i am concerned about.
102_3718.jpg 102_3719.jpg

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It appears to me that the weight isn't centered on the pin, and was probably side loading the roller. Get ahold of glengine on the forum - he runs Spindrift in Mc Bride, should be able to rebuild that clutch for you. I'm not sure if the buttons and rollers are available from Cat, but he has sourced them out for guys that were riding on the weekend. Good guy to deal with, too.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
excellent i will do that. ya i did see that with the weights all of them were like that i just bought it and am goiong through it before the season starts :p

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have any of you heard of or are using supreme tools inc. billet spyder in theses clutches?

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, those weights are held onto the pin with a setscrew. This does two things: keep the weight centered, and also keeps it from rotating on the pin. The entire pin and weight rotate as a unit on the two bushings in the clutch towers. Pins have a small divot in them for the setscrew to bottom out into.

These setscrews are loctited in from the factory - some torch heat is best to soften the loctite before getting onto it with the allen key.

Hope this helps,
PB

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pistonbroke is correct, the weights are held on the pin with a setscrew to prevent them from moving, and there is a divot in the pin for the setscrew to sit in. Supreme Tool and machine's billet spider is a good looking piece of equipment, just be sure to have the clutch balanced after it is installed - hard on both clutch, and crankshaft if it isn't.

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
Supreme tool isn't making the spider any more due to people not installing them properly.

lead foot you can take a torch heat up the set screw, loosen it and move it back to centre and tighten it up. Make sure to use loctite on the set screw.
Now if there is a bushing missing beside the roller we do have a few used ones in stock too get you by, or you have to buy a new spider $279.95, it includes all new rollers and bushings. If you can get the clutch off you can send it down we can install a new spider for you. Or take it to the dealer.

Terra Alps Racing inc.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there i have a couple of these spiders in stock and they are at a good price. And yah can install for yah easily. Have done many of these.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys, and thanks glen for all the great info you have given me in the past 2 days :p appreciate it. i will make a point of coming to see you one time this winter when we are out that way :)

marble

Reaction score
Yes it's reparable, I rebuilt a 07 M8 primary clutch this summer, i put 2003 F7 spider, OR you can put 2000 Powder 700 roller, pin, bearing, button. I dont know because Cat dont sell this part individually on sled part illustration for newer 01+ but you can reuse old stuff from old sled hahaha! The problem it's you need a specific tool, but if you dealer isn't a bitch, you can ask for help you.

Top Bottom