09 M1000 Need advice on tuning

1badhusky

Reaction score
Just got an 09 m1000 w/ a bdx intake, dd y pipe and utra q pipe

Guy I bought from said it runs great above 6000 feet, but he wouldn't run it w/ those mods below that w/out a box/ecu

We start our rides at 4000, so I either need to go back to stock parts or get an ecu. Thinking ecu is way to go.

But can't figure out exactly what to do. Heard the pcv and auto tune work well, but need a base map that's close - don't know where to get one that's close.

I don't have a clue about tuning - should I just take this to a tuner? Is there a good tuner around Portland oregon - I'd drive a few hundy miles to get it to a good tuner and not have to worry about this!

WATDAFOOK

Reaction score
Get a pc5 and a good investment would be the power tuner as well..I havn't seen any maps for the combination you got....the tuner will create the map as you ride...

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day. I was previously running an SLP Y pipe, stock pipe, MBRP can, Timbersled intake, and Linderman head mod. I installed the Koso egt gauges and found my updated 08 M1000 ran great without a box at all elevations. As soon as i installed the SLP pipe i found i needed a box for the lower elevations. I am considering going back to the stock exhaust pipe if i cannot get sled to run better with the SLP pipe. Way better torque with the stock pipe is what i have found. I would start off with some egts and read the plugs first to get an idea if you need a box. Good luck.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally would not run it without a fuel controller and egts. Especially if you do any amount of trail riding at low to mid throttle. The few hp gain is not worth the risk of a burndown.

1badhusky

Reaction score
I personally would not run it without a fuel controller and egts. Especially if you do any amount of trail riding at low to mid throttle. The few hp gain is not worth the risk of a burndown.

Yep, I'm getting something put on it before I ride it - probably an attitude box.

1badhusky

Reaction score
What are egt guages?

Looking at having a local performance shop put on a box and map it. Any real difference between boondocker/attitude/power commander V?

I'm not planning to get an autotuner - guy at the shop said he's boxed & mapped similar set ups to mine w/ 0 problems reported.

Since I don't want to mess w/ it, should I just get the cheapest one, or is there some wonderful difference I in these that I should spend more money for?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a '08 M1000 with a full speedwerx exhaust, 3 degree timing key, clutching, and a few intake mods and i run a boondocker box and digitron egt(exhaust gas temp) gauge. I prefer the b/d box for it's adjustability but i havnt tried the new power commander yet. I have givin a bunch of guys the numbers out of my b/d box for sleds that are running the speedwerx exhaust or the slp and the numbers have worked well for them, some of the guys with the slp system have said they adjusted the numbers a little bit from mine but they were very close. And what i have found with mine is that the stock exhaust doesn't even come close to comparing to how it runs now.

1badhusky

Reaction score
Ahhhh....exhaust gas temp guage. Thanks.

So is the idea that the egt guage helps you tune? Doe it plug into the box so it remembers when it was running too hot then you adjust it later, or does the rider just keep an eye on it?

akholland

Reaction score
Just got an 09 m1000 w/ a bdx intake, dd y pipe and utra q pipe

Guy I bought from said it runs great above 6000 feet, but he wouldn't run it w/ those mods below that w/out a box/ecu

We start our rides at 4000, so I either need to go back to stock parts or get an ecu. Thinking ecu is way to go.

But can't figure out exactly what to do. Heard the pcv and auto tune work well, but need a base map that's close - don't know where to get one that's close.

I don't have a clue about tuning - should I just take this to a tuner? Is there a good tuner around Portland oregon - I'd drive a few hundy miles to get it to a good tuner and not have to worry about this!

The Power Commander 5 is the best available programmer for fuel management on the M1000. ESPECIALLY for the 2009 and 2010 M10's. It has very fine fuel adjustment requirements which the PCV has for every 250 rpm increments. I ran a boondocker on my other m10 which is an 07 and i never could get it to tune the midrange right, always running to lean or to fat, never happy. I just bought the pcv and the autotune for my 08 snopro m1000 that I just bought this spring and I will be updating to the 09 mapping which makes the best power with the pipe according to slp.com . I have base maps for the m1000 that I can email you. you can download the powercommander software for the pcv from powercommander.com to view the maps and get a feel for the software, its really simple. You can install the autotune and it will basically make your map for you. I have a buddy that can order straight from dynojet, I can get them for 310 brand new in the box and I can get you the autotune for 225. PCV is 369 at slp and pcv's website's and autotune is regular 259.99 shoot me an email to ydna7@hotmail.com and we can get you set up!

1badhusky

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Just ordered a Power Commander V w/ two custom maps (3-7k feet and 7-11k feet) and a handlebar mounted map toggle switch for the m1000 is on the way!

Sorry Akholl - found a shop that had maps for my exact set up and could load them all up - so I don't need the auto tune or anything - and they're doing the PCV and two maps for what the PCV retails for...so i'm stoked.

Top Bottom