09 m1000 handling.

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my m1000 but is it just me or are they a tank when it comes to handling. I went for a ride today with a buddy who rides a 14 assult and when it came to side hilling or more technical riding I just couldn't keep up. I'm wondering maybe its just me with lack if skills. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my m1000 but is it just me or are they a tank when it comes to handling. I went for a ride today with a buddy who rides a 14 assult and when it came to side hilling or more technical riding I just couldn't keep up. I'm wondering maybe its just me with lack if skills. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions.

You are talking two totally different animals here.... 1 year in snowmobile evolution is like 5 in vehicles. You have an outdated chassis. Even though I am in no way a polaris guy, the new polaris chassis handles like no other in my opinion.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my 2009 M1000. Also have a pro 2012. I can take that 1000 anywhere I point it in the trees and hold a sidehill like nothing! Rode Polaris for years, then an M8 for 3 years and still love the M chassis! How are your front shocks set up? Rear shock pressure? The M's are a great mountain sled! I have tried all the new sleds and not one as yet made me say OMG I must have this sled!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I understand my chasis is old compared to the Polaris but still my sled isn't super old and I know its a great mountain sled and I've seen other riders do some technical stuff with them.

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have my rear shock at like 160 as I am 240 lbs and it still seems soft like I bottom it out. And the fronts are at 80 but some days they feel stiff and others mushy I really dont know why. Like to get my clutch side off the ground I have to grab the mountain bar and tug very hard and I can't hold a side hill worth a s##t cause it just drops back down. Its frustrating cause it makes me look like I dont know what I'm doing and I'm not an amateur and I'm no pro either but still...

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have my rear shock at like 160 as I am 240 lbs and it still seems soft like I bottom it out. And the fronts are at 80 but some days they feel stiff and others mushy I really dont know why. Like to get my clutch side off the ground I have to grab the mountain bar and tug very hard and I can't hold a side hill worth a s##t cause it just drops back down. Its frustrating cause it makes me look like I dont know what I'm doing and I'm not an amateur and I'm no pro either but still...

this may be a dumb question, But have you tried counter steering? And being a cat rider with many miles on an M1000, yes the Polaris machines do handle a bit easier. Now I hope that all my Cat Brethren don't chastise me for this comment.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mmm, sounds like your back shock might be screwed or does it hold air? Max pressure is 150psi and I am 240lbs 6ft 4inches and I keep mine set at 150 to prevent trenching and it is stiff! Maybe as well drop some pressure in your fronts down to 70 and it might lay over easier and hold it better fir you. They will loose pressure if you set them up in your garage then go out and ride at -15 as well.

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this may be a dumb question, But have you tried counter steering? And being a cat rider with many miles on an M1000, yes the Polaris machines do handle a bit easier. Now I hope that all my Cat Brethren don't chastise me for this comment.
Yeah I do counter steer but I seems once I am my sled wants to drop back down and throw me off. I dont really know maybe I'm just doing it wrong. :/

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mmm, sounds like your back shock might be screwed or does it hold air? Max pressure is 150psi and I am 240lbs 6ft 4inches and I keep mine set at 150 to prevent trenching and it is stiff! Maybe as well drop some pressure in your fronts down to 70 and it might lay over easier and hold it better fir you. They will loose pressure if you set them up in your garage then go out and ride at -15 as well.

Well I always adjust them outside. But yes my rear shock might be screwed. Would adjusting my limiter strap and front shock help at all? I dont really know what adjusting that front shock does?

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your limiter should be all the way out. Front skid shock you can play with and best to read your owners manual on the changes on tightening or loosening it. When your climbing your skis should just come off the snow about 3 inches. How does your transferring feel? On the trail can you get ski lift? You do not want a wheelie machine and you do not want your skis to be planted to the snow either.

Last edited:

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your limiter should be all the way out. Front skid shock you can play with and best to read your owners manual on the changes on tightening or loosening it. When your climbing your skis should just come off the snow about 3 inches. How does your transferring feel? On the trail can you get ski lift? You do not want a wheelie machine and you do not want your skis to be planted to the snow either.

Sorry what do you mean about transferring? And my strap is off all the way. When climbing my skiis dont come off too much maybe 6 inches or so. I dont have an owner manual :/

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weight transfer, when you punch it can you feel the weight being transferred to the back bringing your front end up. You have likely seen some videos of guys wheeling for a mile on there sleds, they have it set up were the weight transfer. Do you find you trench the back end when in deep snow?

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weight transfer, when you punch it can you feel the weight being transferred to the back bringing your front end up. You have likely seen some videos of guys wheeling for a mile on there sleds, they have it set up were the weight transfer. Do you find you trench the back end when in deep snow?

No it doesn't really trench bad that's not really an issue. Umm when I punch on it I find my exhaust side always comes up first and makes me turn to I have to put more weight on that side. Also if I'm flying across a feild and my skiis are skipping across the snow my sled always steers to the left its a real pain. I'm guessing this has to to with suspension setup?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drop the front arm of your skid to the lower hole. You can see it from the inside of the tunnel, and you'll have to drill it out first. Improves handling quite a bit.

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drop the front arm of your skid to the lower hole. You can see it from the inside of the tunnel, and you'll have to drill it out first. Improves handling quite a bit.
Hmm I might just try this.

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to mess with shock and see how it affects it.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
You might need some suspension set up. Don't take this wrong way but you probably need more talent. A good rider should be able to make a sled perform fairly well even if the set up is not perfect, then say what needs to be adjusted to make it easier.

When you say you counter steer are you staying in a neutral position or putting both feet on one side of the sled or are you using wrong foot forward?

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might need some suspension set up. Don't take this wrong way but you probably need more talent. A good rider should be able to make a sled perform fairly well even if the set up is not perfect, then say what needs to be adjusted to make it easier.

When you say you counter steer are you staying in a neutral position or putting both feet on one side of the sled or are you using wrong foot forward?
Oh no I complety understand I do need more practice. It depends on the hil and how deep the snow is like if its deep powder I can stay one foot on each side and lean but its on steeper hill that I need both fee on one side where I struggle. If I'm standing on the right side my left foot is on while I use my right leg to balance is this the correct way of doing it?

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Ya you have the right idea just need more practice. Sounds like you need to overcome the fear of having your sled too far into the hill. If it is falling down the hill on you it is because you do not have the center of gravity on the up hill side. The sled should want to fall up hill, this is easy to control by using you balance leg in wrong foot forward position to keep it balanced up hill and use counter steer and throttle to keep the sled on track. I would also suggest you buy the schooled series of DVDs if you have not watched them already. Here is the trailer from the first DVD, it also shows an M chassis doing what it does best.

SCHOOLED (Learn to ride) w Rasmussen & Burandt - YouTube

Last edited:
Top Bottom