09 dragon 800 electrical problem

matt_cassidy

Reaction score
when I start the sled in the morning the dash lights don't come on but my head light will come on. some I goes in to get dressed and let her warm up comes back out the dash lights are on and all the gauges are working till I go for a little ride hit the brake or turn the had or tumb warmers on then the dash will cut out give her a shoot of gas they come back on. Theres a little battery charge this in the right hand corner but she don't got electric start so I wondering what the problem might be any help is much appricated

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How many bars are showing on the battery gauge?

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have the updated Voltage regulator?If not and the lights are flickering don't ride it until you get it checked out as it will take out the ECU[$550]Could also be in the stator to check that you unplug the harness going into the VR 3 large yellow wires use an ohm meter should be .1-.3 ohms across all 3 phases[3 combos on wires]Should also get a reading of 0 ohms on all 3 phased when ground to engine.Could alos be a wire rubbing and ground out,also chassis relay

Hammer800

Reaction score
Re: 2010 rmk 800 voltage regulator issue!!
Try searching for the above thread from an earlier post. Sure sounds like the voltage regulator.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have replaced all my VR's. If you have the old one the latest one is Polaris # 4013587

BlueDemon

Reaction score
Do you have the updated Voltage regulator?If not and the lights are flickering don't ride it until you get it checked out as it will take out the ECU[$550]Could also be in the stator to check that you unplug the harness going into the VR 3 large yellow wires use an ohm meter should be .1-.3 ohms across all 3 phases[3 combos on wires]Should also get a reading of 0 ohms on all 3 phased when ground to engine.Could alos be a wire rubbing and ground out,also chassis relay

Hi, I'm running a 2010 rmk 700. On my last spring ride I had a similar issue where my lights would dim out, followed by total electric failure but engine running fine. A short rest and then restart would bring everything back for a few min and then the process would repeat.
Checked over everything I could this summer and idled in my garage for hours with no problem so figured something just got wet last time.
Went for a test ride last week and cooked my ecu. So I guess the VR was shot. It is the pre-updated unit. Do you think the VR is the likely culprit? Or should I be looking further down the line? I've gone over all the wiring and it looks intact.

You mentioned checking the stator. Could you give some more detail on how to check those three wires? If I can eliminate that then my next step is basically to pop in an updated vr, new ecu and go for a ride with my fingers crossed.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VR these are classic symptoms. They fail slowly then wipe out ECU.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm running a 2010 rmk 700. On my last spring ride I had a similar issue where my lights would dim out, followed by total electric failure but engine running fine. A short rest and then restart would bring everything back for a few min and then the process would repeat.
Checked over everything I could this summer and idled in my garage for hours with no problem so figured something just got wet last time.
Went for a test ride last week and cooked my ecu. So I guess the VR was shot. It is the pre-updated unit. Do you think the VR is the likely culprit? Or should I be looking further down the line? I've gone over all the wiring and it looks intact.

You mentioned checking the stator. Could you give some more detail on how to check those three wires? If I can eliminate that then my next step is basically to pop in an updated vr, new ecu and go for a ride with my fingers crossed.
Yup you made the classic mistake of riding it too long and cooked the ECU.Unfortunatly you need updated regulator,new ECU and dealer reflash to get you going probably $800-$900 bill.Sorry for your bad hope you have an extended warranty.Polaris should have swapped these faulty regulators out as they dam well new about them .All 09 and 10 CFIs had the bad regulators

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When mine went my ecu was fine but blew my top end from detonation. The vr was causing the injectors to operate erratically and then it was fix kit time.

BlueDemon

Reaction score
Guess I just like learning the hard way! Managed to get it all fixed up for just over $600 so I guess I caught a bit of a break. Stator test was easier than I expected, even for a rookie like me. Thanks everybody for posting to this thread. It went a long way to help me make sure I had the problem pinpointed.

Thanks also to Mountain Toys in Cochrane, AB for having people who actually do know what they're talking about. Other Calgary area dealers (who I did consult before I cooked my ecu) seemed rather oblivious to a problem that turned out to be very simple and common. Disappointing.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I just like learning the hard way! Managed to get it all fixed up for just over $600 so I guess I caught a bit of a break. Stator test was easier than I expected, even for a rookie like me. Thanks everybody for posting to this thread. It went a long way to help me make sure I had the problem pinpointed.

Thanks also to Mountain Toys in Cochrane, AB for having people who actually do know what they're talking about. Other Calgary area dealers (who I did consult before I cooked my ecu) seemed rather oblivious to a problem that turned out to be very simple and common. Disappointing.

Glad you got going for a reasonble price.I replaced the VR on my wifes 09 700 before it failed.Polaris should have just replaced these but never did,In this case the internet knowledge is your friend,dealer never want to admit too known faults.

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many bars are showing on the display when you have a good VR.
Mines showing two bars from the top.

matt_cassidy

Reaction score
yes thanks for the knowledge got the vr on order there now

cturk1010

Reaction score
ok here is some stuff for you all to read I had vr act up on me and ordered a new one after almost 2 weeks of waiting for the crappy dealer by me to get it put it on had the latest flash put in my ecu and relocated the capacitor that sits on top of vr thinking that that is blocking the heat in and cooking the vr
the sled Isa 2009 dragon sp and have abot 3600 miles on it ran it the next couple days with no prob about 200 miles on it then got home the next morning took off trailer to put back in barn and the dash went out and I shut off started back up and all was good again now I thinking w.t.h. the guage was at normal after restart
now I don't know what to do with this thing
fyi the reflash on ecu was a great help got rid of my midrange hiccup

Top Bottom