09 800 dragon blown

big09dragon

Reaction score
i was riding my dragon about 60 mph and it just died. i got it off the river and it was backfiring bad! the silencer was beat red. think something is wrong with the piston or something ill have more info tomorrow after my dealer tells me whats wrong.

woodym7

Reaction score
sorry guys 6th motor? ouch not sure what to say man i was always a polaris guy.......was.........good luck

snoweasel

Reaction score
Hopefully you still have some warranty left. I'm on my 5th motor (4th top end + one complete block). My warranty ran out Dec 31st, however mine was a 2008 D8.

There are a number of things you can do to improve durability such as a fuel controller, avoiding running long times at mid RPM (5500 to 6500), ensuring you run good quality gas (or run octane boost) and running premix in your tank. The issues seam to be lean mapping combined with excessive piston to cylinder wall clearances.

If your is under warranty, than you will likely get the 2010 updated top end which is somewhat better, however you will still need to take some precautions as I mention above.

Best of luck

jtilley

Reaction score
i was riding my dragon about 60 mph and it just died. i got it off the river and it was backfiring bad! the silencer was beat red. think something is wrong with the piston or something ill have more info tomorrow after my dealer tells me whats wrong.

If you guys can belive this Polaris wont warrenty my 800 dragon motor. I am on engine #5 and it just went. The dealership is saying now its a cooling issue and figures they got it figured out.We'll see i guess. Has anyone heard of any other fixes??? Time to say here kitty kitty!!!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you guys can belive this Polaris wont warrenty my 800 dragon motor. I am on engine #5 and it just went. The dealership is saying now its a cooling issue and figures they got it figured out.We'll see i guess. Has anyone heard of any other fixes??? Time to say here kitty kitty!!!

thought you said in the other thread it was the pipe?
ngot a buddy on here with a 10 800 assault. been running great since new. not sure where all these issues comefrom. any mods, pipes, cans etc?

snoweasel

Reaction score
I have heard of two possible fixes, one from PMS that includes new taller beefier pistons and a cylinder shim to raise the porting to match the new piston height, and another fix called the "Gizmo" that includes a temperature recirc hose and t'stat that prevents "cold shot" after the motor has been shutdown for a few minutes.

Lots of threads on both fixes on this forum and others. I have zero miles on engine 5 and I'm scared to ride it for fear it will.......tick, tick, tick, KABLAMO. Ouch. I will likely try one of the two fixes myself. Gotta try something different. Odd thing is that some people have had really good luck with this engine and than there's us guys.

Again, best of luck guys.

Brad62

Reaction score
You guys that are on your 5th and 6th motors did you change anything, like where your getting your gas or put on a fuel controller?

just wondering.

I blew one up, detonated the $hit out of the pistons, had to be bad fuel, had it fixed under warrenty, and I never got fuel there again. I put PCV on it and a little octane boost and it pulls hard and runs great. Had a real good test this weekend we had to get fuel out of a cardlock in a small town, dumped the boost in and un plugged the ethanol wires to put a little more fuel to it. I checked the plugs after a 8 or 10 mile stretch and they were perfect chocolat brown.

snoweasel

Reaction score
Hey Brad. Good question.

With engine 4 I w3as running a Power Commander 3 with a DTR map and I also had oil in the gas. Engine was otherwise stock with an SLP can. Air intake was sealed up, running iridium plugs, avoiding mid rpm where I can (burbing throttle) and always warming to 110 deg F before starting off. Mostly run in Valemount from 4000 to 7000 feet. Sled still burned down with just under 300 miles on a new top end. Engine did not sieze but pistons were scored and compression down. Covered under warranty.

Dealer said bad gas......at first I did not beleive them but the more I think about it, it was likely the case. End of day on final run I poured spare gas in from my 07D7. Chances are it was 1 year old gas. Started detonating craze....damage was done.

With this new top end I'm running a full SLP pipe set and new PCV and 162 HP Stoutner mapping. I WILL now be running Lucas Octane boost and Redline oil premix. I also installed the "GIZMO" to avoid the cold shot. As before, Iridium plugs, sealed air box, modulating throttle, watching temp gauge.

I will test and report my findings. I'l be inspecting the pistons thru the exhaust valves routinely. Each previous meltdown I would see piston scoring after only 200 to 300 miles. Except for the very first engine....went 800 miles.

Again, I'll be posting my progress on this and other forums so others can hopefully learn as I'm learning.

For those who haven't seen it, SLP has an excellent tech tip document about the D8 on how to improve engine "durability". It's excellent info.....check out the SLP website.

Stay posted and best of luck.....when these things run, there great machines and hard to beat when set up (clutching/gearing/suspension tuning).

Later:beer:

bensen

Reaction score
You shouldnt have to do all this stuff to a new sled. I shouldnt have to either.2010 dragon around 1100 mile before engine troubles. Mine is gone at the end of warranty in December then different breed not sure what. I have been die hard polaris since 1995 but no more.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered the Fix from PMS Polaris yesterday was told that they have 8 rentals with this kit on and have been monitoring them closely.One unit has 1600 miles and shows no abnormal wear.Was told that 2500-3000 miles between piston service could be expected.Was also told to run the 09 head(high compression)and the original 08 mapping. They have customers running this set up and no issues.You can run the stock low compression head and current 2010 mapping and will run good If your sled has mid-range issues plug off your exhaust valve vacume hoses at the T and run pink exhaust valve springs.You can call them and ask any questions you might have,I was on the phone for 1/2 hour and they were more than willing to talk/answer questions.To me this sounds like it might work not just another band-aid coming from Polaris.
PMS Polaris-Shawn or Corbett 208-652-7738

Last edited:

shady877

Reaction score
My 09 RMK 800 just went again too because the cold coolant shrunk the block too much and scraped the pistons. My dealer is experimenting with those "gizmo" things too, but dont have any results yet. Im thinking of just pulling the thermostat right out so its not getting the shock of freezing cold coolant once it opens up. I dont see why this is a bad idea, but if you have any reasons against removing them let me know, thanks.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last couple we have had come into the shop both had the TPS way out of spec causing the sled to detonate. pistons were then scuffed causing low compression.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09 RMK 800 just went again too because the cold coolant shrunk the block too much and scraped the pistons. My dealer is experimenting with those "gizmo" things too, but dont have any results yet. Im thinking of just pulling the thermostat right out so its not getting the shock of freezing cold coolant once it opens up. I dont see why this is a bad idea, but if you have any reasons against removing them let me know, thanks.

Carls Cycle told me to drill 2 small holes in top of thermostat to help with the cold shock from the heat exchangers on restart.Cheaper than 300 bucks.

rockydaug

Reaction score
Carls Cycle told me to drill 2 small holes in top of thermostat to help with the cold shock from the heat exchangers on restart.Cheaper than 300 bucks.

I would do this before I would remove it completely, that or a by-pass from the throttle body may work.

bensen

Reaction score
What is the fix? I have a power commander v on mine didnt help. My temps aren't as extreme when restarting about 135 drops to 96-102. Not sure if I have heard about the "fix" love the sled hate the engine.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the fix? I have a power commander v on mine didnt help. My temps aren't as extreme when restarting about 135 drops to 96-102. Not sure if I have heard about the "fix" love the sled hate the engine.

The fix is a shim kit that raises the cyl a 1/4" and wiseco pistons that are longer on the crown.This will put more surface on the cyl giving the piston more support.Also wiseco pistons run tighter spec's in the cyl bore.Was told engine runs quieter revs faster makes 5 more hp and 150 rpm.There is a thread on snowest that is a good read.

big09dragon

Reaction score
Sorry man its your pistons and the front will be scuffed. I am on my 6th moto

contact me for more info
jtilley@pure-energy.ca

Yea it was my right side piston and there is some scoring on the cylider but nothing too bad. good thing i stopped when i did! and next year im trading it in on a 2011 or 2012 and gunna hope for the best! if this happens again its going bye bye..... maybe ill check out the local skidoo dealer too

big09dragon

Reaction score
Hopefully it takes awhile for it to do it again because going on a trip for 5 days in wisconsin and if it does this again in screwed!

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it takes awhile for it to do it again because going on a trip for 5 days in wisconsin and if it does this again in screwed!

Mix 100 to 1 in gas,let warm up to 122 on temp gauge before riding.I ride with temp gauge on display and when temp starts rising just burp throttle a few times and temp starts to drop.Got 600 miles on mine and looked at exhaust side of piston and shows no wear.Check air box in hood for spots that let snowin.Just put a trouble light in there and close hood turn off shop lights an look around headlight and windshield for light,if light can get out snow can get in.Use RTV silicone to seal all holes Hope this helps Good Luck :beer:

Top Bottom