09 700 grizz getting hot

shanon

Reaction score
My fan is running alot. No overheating yet but why is the fan running so much? Where is the heat coming from and is there anything I can do about it? None of my 660's had a isue like this.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
how clean is the rad??Can you see light through it easily...It may be not clean enough.Low on coolant ?If the light isn;t turning on then it may not be as hot as you think,Does the dummy temp light turn on when you cycle the key?..There is a way to check coolant temp on mine but it is a 07.See if i can dig it up for ya.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Grizzly built in temp.gauge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You may or may not know this but there is away to check your coolant temp through your pod on our grizzly 700's. Hold down the select and reset button on the pod, Then turn the key on, When the word "diag" comes up you then again hold down the same 2 buttons and it will change to d01. Now use the select button to go to d06. This is your coolant temp in Celsius. To get out of this just turn the key off.I was running my grizz pretty hard in deep sand for about an hour and my temp was 96 Celsius, which is 204.8 in Fahrenheit. Seems a little hot but I was pushing it pretty hard in that sand. Thinking of maybe trying some engine ice or something like that to lower that temp a little. I will also post this link to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit. Just another neat feature about the grizzly I thought I would share.

"This was a cut and paste Grizzlyowners.com. that i thought would be neat to check out.

Try this on your 09.see if it works or not
:

: :2008 Chevy 2500 H.D. C.C.
2007 700 Camo Grizzly
2006 Dutchmen T.T.

Proud Member of the Boondockers Club

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, the coolant is good and the radiator is clean. I was just wondering if there might be bigger than oem. fan, radiator, or maybe a new sensor that would kick the fan on before it gets warm anything that could keep her cooler.

You could be right it might not be as hot as it think, but I have not been in the mud yet or put this one through her paces. If I worked it hard I know it would overheat.

Camell

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, the coolant is good and the radiator is clean. I was just wondering if there might be bigger than oem. fan, radiator, or maybe a new sensor that would kick the fan on before it gets warm anything that could keep her cooler.

You could be right it might not be as hot as it think, but I have not been in the mud yet or put this one through her paces. If I worked it hard I know it would overheat.

If you havent hit mud or anything yet, and if you work it hard it would over heat? Sounds like either the thermostat is stuck closed and not opening all the way, or maybe the temp sensor is pooched

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I wash out riding this weekend ..going slow and crawling up a loose rocky trail and when i got to the top i shut the bike off and checked the temp .It said 98 celcius.

Camell

Reaction score
I wash out riding this weekend ..going slow and crawling up a loose rocky trail and when i got to the top i shut the bike off and checked the temp .It said 98 celcius.

If you shut the quad off, the coolant right at the sensor will get hotter from the engine and not being circulated giving it a false reading. If your checking the temp through the pod, i would try doing it with the quad running, if it cant be done, i would install a water temp gauge to see what it is at while riding. Even sitting there at idle slows the coolant down and gives a higher reading of the temp. Your 98C (209F) is high, I believe a good running temp is 87C (190F) Correct me if i am wrong.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
If you shut the quad off, the coolant right at the sensor will get hotter from the engine and not being circulated giving it a false reading. If your checking the temp through the pod, i would try doing it with the quad running, if it cant be done, i would install a water temp gauge to see what it is at while riding. Even sitting there at idle slows the coolant down and gives a higher reading of the temp. Your 98C (209F) is high, I believe a good running temp is 87C (190F) Correct me if i am wrong.

Ya your probably right about the higher temp...No i don't think you can check it while it is running.After i checked the temp with the quad off ,i started it and let it run till the fan shut off ,i usually let the fan run untill it shuts off anyway maybe it is not needed i don't know

Camell

Reaction score
Ya your probably right about the higher temp...No i don't think you can check it while it is running.After i checked the temp with the quad off ,i started it and let it run till the fan shut off ,i usually let the fan run untill it shuts off anyway maybe it is not needed i don't know

I never run my fan when it is off, all this does is drain your battery and cool the coolant in your rad cause it isnt circulating. Unless your starting it every so often to circulate the coolant.

dean_jimmy96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are really touchy when the rad is not really super clean, i also tryed synthetic oil and some water wetter in the rad ,havent had the light come on since
and oh camell your bang on the money with the fan running when the engine is not running,i told people for years that did nothing to cool the thing off

got to love the sound sound of a rad blowing up after you shut the engine off haha

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try running engine ice coolant, although it is only good to -26F so will freeze in winter(not good). water wetter is not effective with antifreeze only straight water(less than useless). clean your rad again, check thermostat, and your fan should come on before your quad gets hot.

Camell

Reaction score
The main reason the Grizzlys are one of the if not the worst for over heating isnt the cooling system itself, but just the surroundings and location of the rad itself. It is high up, 1/2 under plastic, piddily small grill on the front, the power steering right behind the rad which collects everything and anything, and everything else jammed under there which can cause the fan to stop spinning. All these cause a super lack of air flow. I didnt mess around with trying stuff, i just did the rad relocation, never over heated once, if i shut off my quad, let it sit for a couple minutes, sometimes less, i can put my hand on the rad. One on the best mods i have done.

Top Bottom