08 xp clutching

xrsrev

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My clutch on my 08 doesnt seem to be disengaging completely! I have checked the secondary and thats all set right. My primary isnt totally disengaging! Soon as sled is started it wants to go! Talked to a few others and they suggested taking it apart and cleaning it up! any other suggestions? Everything was working great until this weekend! Sled still runs great just the clutch is squezzing the belt just enough!

Thanx in advance

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is your idle rpm?

but yes if it is doing that it NEEDS to come apart and likely is more than just a cleaning.

spring cup bushings like to fail on those machines..

or you have the incorrect belt or to little deflection ( you say its ok )

another test would be to take the belt off and use a rubber mallet and hit the sliding sheave lightly and see if it pops back that little bit.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most likely worn bushings, either the spring cup bushing or more likely the sliding half bushing has piled up and not allowing the sheaves to fully open.

xrsrev

Reaction score
thanx 4 the ideas guys! I have ordered the 09 parts and hope that works!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanx 4 the ideas guys! I have ordered the 09 parts and hope that works!

Dont make my mixtake. If you need a spring cap bushing buy the whole cap. I took my cap to turples asked if they could change the bushing as it's like $22. Made sure the labour would not tip the scales above the price of a new cap $80. $117 later turples screwed me again....not sure whos the idiot.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont make my mixtake. If you need a spring cap bushing buy the whole cap. I took my cap to turples asked if they could change the bushing as it's like $22. Made sure the labour would not tip the scales above the price of a new cap $80. $117 later turples screwed me again....not sure whos the idiot.
just changed a spring cup bushing out last night on a friend's '08 XP, wear limit according to manual is 30.40mm, old one with 1200 kms was measuring 30.20mm.....had to destroy the old one to get it out, new one went in easy.....new measurement? 30.20mm.....lol.

also changed out my broken drop brackets. can't believe how cheezy the stock 'doo ones were.....:rolleyes:
pics351Small.jpg

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
just changed a spring cup bushing out last night on a friend's '08 XP, wear limit according to manual is 30.40mm, old one with 1200 kms was measuring 30.20mm.....had to destroy the old one to get it out, new one went in easy.....new measurement? 30.20mm.....lol.

also changed out my broken drop brackets. can't believe how cheezy the stock 'doo ones were.....:rolleyes:
pics351Small.jpg

They are cheesy because they are light....In BRP's minds, everything they could (make cheesy), was part of the weight reduction program. I would settle for more strength and myself lose a couple ounces....:)

Nice brackets by the way, don't forget to round off the edges below the tunnel where the track may contact....

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice brackets by the way, don't forget to round off the edges below the tunnel where the track may contact....
for sure, chamfered the edges and smoothed them up nice so it wouldn't fray my new track.

pics339Medium.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wonder if the thread starter ever got his problem solved....mine broke a roller arm a few weeks back, the arm jammed into the ramp and stuck my clutch closed like he described.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, very nice....What track is that? I want to change mine out asap. Where did you get it and how much?
2.5" camoplast extreme, it's on my 146. the 2.86 pitch (shown) has the lugs set in a half inch from the edges for better clearance and no ports. I got it from Curtis at Tracks Canada, great guy to deal with and the best price around. was just under $800, and worth every penny. not sure if it was the huge ports in my powdermax, but this track floats better, trenches less, and easily himarks my friends' stock 146" by a pretty good margin.

here is my powdermax after snagging a stump on a climb....:mad:

pics066Medium.jpg

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
wonder if the thread starter ever got his problem solved....mine broke a roller arm a few weeks back, the arm jammed into the ramp and stuck my clutch closed like he described.

Just talked with Brad, His bolts on the cup (spring retainer) were coming loose and therefore his spring was not putting enough pressure on the clutch. Tightened up with loctite and good. Just a case of not enough spring pressure to keep the primary halves apart....

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
2.5" camoplast extreme, it's on my 146. the 2.86 pitch (shown) has the lugs set in a half inch from the edges for better clearance and no ports. I got it from Curtis at Tracks Canada, great guy to deal with and the best price around. was just under $800, and worth every penny. not sure if it was the huge ports in my powdermax, but this track floats better, trenches less, and easily himarks my friends' stock 146" by a pretty good margin.

here is my powdermax after snagging a stump on a climb....:mad:

pics066Medium.jpg

Yes, they say 100-150 feet higher just by swapping out the track....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, they say 100-150 feet higher just by swapping out the track....
I can honestly say it wasn't that much distance, sometimes 6-8 sled lengths....but more than once it was the difference between me making it over and him having to turn out. worth it right there....:d

dr-evil2Custom.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom