07 Summit 800 Idle Issue

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who can't get his 2007 summit 800 to idle properly. He says once he is on the throttle, all works good but there is some lag. He ran it with the choke half on and the idle was no better but throttle response and power were good.

He had it at the dealer. They cleaned the carbs, gave it back to him and the problem was still there. He took it back and they suspected a cracked reed but when they took it apart, all was good. Now they are telling him the fuel pump is screwed and they don't have on in stock.

Does this sound like a fuel pump issue to anyone? I'm not sure, never had any issues with one.

Any input appreciated.

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who can't get his 2007 summit 800 to idle properly. He says once he is on the throttle, all works good but there is some lag. He ran it with the choke half on and the idle was no better but throttle response and power were good.

He had it at the dealer. They cleaned the carbs, gave it back to him and the problem was still there.

Any input appreciated.

Did they remove the pilot jets and make sure they were not plugged? Buddies Rev had the same issue and it was one plugged off pilot jet....

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dealer had the carbs off and soaked them. One would hope they checked everything out but who knows. We may pull the carbs and have a look ourselves, till seems like the most probable answer to me.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

He had it at the dealer. They cleaned the carbs, gave it back to him and the problem was still there. He took it back and they suspected a cracked reed but when they took it apart, all was good. Now they are telling him the fuel pump is screwed and they don't have on in stock.

Does this sound like a fuel pump issue to anyone? I'm not sure, never had any issues with one.

Any input appreciated.

Take the fuel pump off and test it. They run from vacuum off the crankcase. If its pumping enough fuel at high RPM, then it should be easily pumping enough at low RPM. If its not working you can R&R them for about $25. Can't tell your location but kijijii some sleds for parts and see if someone has one, they are pretty universal for the 800 Doos, anything from the Ptek/HO should work, just find out what flow rate you need. Your pump needs 1 fuel inlet, 1 vac inlet and 1 fuel outlet.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost certainly a partially blocked pilot jet - They cost about $7, replace and ride.

thekrust

Reaction score
Possibly pilot jet, Have also seen a leaking needle and seat cause this,,flooding one cyl. at idle. Another idle prob on these is the little springs at the top of the slides break and cause erratic idle rpm.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pilot jet. Soaking the carbs shines the outsides. To clean it the jets need to be removed and the entire unit and ports blown out throughly with an air compressor.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like the carbs to me,remove and completely dis-assemble to clean,torch tip cleaner works good for cleaning and then soak and blow out with air

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it to the natives and tell them it won't idle no more LOL
idlenomore.png

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'07 Summit 800 you say? Did they check the bottom end? Ha ha!!

Soaking the carbs won't necessarily clean all the passages, especially if it was stored without fuel stabilizer. Take the carbs apart, jets out and clean them. I use a small strand of copper wire, softer then brass so won't enlarge the jet.

Top Bottom