07 Allison Problem

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

DingoNutz

Reaction score
I'm not saying service centres aren't performing the procedure, I'm just trying to inform the OP what Allison recommends. Apparently, I guess it also depends on what type of a "flushing system" is being used. The following is a quote from a retired Allison fluids engineer:

"Recommended service for the Allison is drain, refill and change the spin on filter every 50K (25K severe). Don't forget to remove the magnet from the old filter wipe it clean an place on the new one. Fill the new filter with ATF before installing. You need about 8 qts.

Dealers recommend the transmission flush service (and many other unecessary services) because it makes them MORE MONEY. "Flushing" may or may not cause damage to the Allison depending on the type of equipment being used. Passive exchange equipment is like automating the "HOOT" method is fine because the TRANSMISSION PUMP is doing the pumping. Power flush machines that use a pump to exchange fluid can cause many problems up to breaking the trans oil pump gears, delaminating the clutches, and sticking valve body valves and therefore MUST be AVOIDED.

DEX6 is fine in any 2007 or later Allison. Use DEX3 in a 2006 or earlier. TranSynd TES-295 synthetic is best for all Allison model years, but not required."

I'm no expert in the field, just trying to help the OP. I wouldn't ever power flush my ally. I did the double drain method and have been running TranSynd for the past 120k with no problems either. He can decide what he wants to do.

That's all for me.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest thing with a flush is if its way past due ( dark and burnt some ) is sometimes it cleans too much too fast ( either it stirs stuff up ect ) and can jam valves ect

If u do flushes as preventative maintenance before it gets bad Ur good.

from my HTC

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest thing with a flush is if its way past due ( dark and burnt some ) is sometimes it cleans too much too fast ( either it stirs stuff up ect ) and can jam valves ect

If u do flushes as preventative maintenance before it gets bad Ur good.

from my HTC
Well its got 200,000 and never been serviced.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. How many times have u drained the pan , changed either filter ????

How much towing do ya do ??

from my HTC

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. How many times have u drained the pan , changed either filter ????

How much towing do ya do ??

from my HTC
Never have done any thing to it and always serviced at dealer and u would think it would come up as a service request. All i use it for is towing our 4 horse trailer with full living quarters 25,000lbs full load with efi live.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dunno. Bet its way past time.

Unless u have had a power train service done ( includes , front rear , t case , transflush ) and didn't know it.

from my HTC

Mikehunt

Reaction score
Got a 07 GMC Classic diesel started it up to move to plow snow and went backwards and stopped shift inhibit came on had to let it warm right up then it moved fine, is it time to get the wallet out or dump it.

Sound like the 3-5-R piston lip seal is getting wore down and not sealing when cold. If the TCM does not see the turbine speed drop when put into gear then it kick out out of gear and lights up the shift inhibit message.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i recomend not to only change the spin on filter but to drop the pan and change the internal filter also,fill with trans send oil and will probable be ok.if your oil does not smell burnt then clutch packs are ok

Top Bottom