'03 yzf250 any good?

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at picking up a '03 yzf250 this wknd. Are these early model 4strokes any good? anything to lookout for? wanting to turn it into a woods bike same as a wr.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In terms of reliability, I've found that the earlier model four-strokes are actually better than the newer ones because the manufacturers weren't chasing each other for magazine shoot-out wins. It seems each year they are lightening components and increasing compression etc. to boost their horsepower numbers but these so called improvements hurt the longevity of the machines. A well cared for 2003 YZ250F would be a great machine for anyone but a hardcore motocross racer. If you are worried about the motor grenading on you then price out the cost of a new valve set, piston, and cam chain before buying as these will be the parts you will likely need to replace and it is cheaper to fix them before they break than afterward. Unless the machine had 300+ hours on it I wouldn't worry too much about the bottom end...the cranks on those early YZ's wear like iron. I had a 2001 YZ426F which I put 200+ hours on without so much as a valve adjustment. Sold it to a guy who put even more hours on it, he sold it to another guy and last I heard it's still running strong on the factory engine parts...you won't find that kind of longevity out of a 2004 or newer machine I promise you that.

dglionna

Reaction score
Looking at picking up a '03 yzf250 this wknd. Are these early model 4strokes any good? anything to lookout for? wanting to turn it into a woods bike same as a wr.

my last bike was a 2003 yz250f and it was a great bike and no problems. think it would be a great bike for u. i beat newer hondas and stuff on it. so good luck hope u get it.

Top Bottom