LoginRegister
SnowandMud.com - Powered by vBulletin

Today's Posts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

800 etec spark plugs

Discuss 800 etec spark plugs in the SKI-DOO CHAT forums; If correct plugs are used and torqued to spec the indexing is automatic. If you want the first pull start ...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 800 etec spark plugs

If correct plugs are used and torqued to spec the indexing is automatic. If you want the first pull start and optimum fuel mileage this is important because of the position of the plug in the combustion chamber and its relation to the overhead injectors. Indexing plugs on an etec is standard procedure, not a suggestion. The etec uses very little fuel at idle, the equivalent of a 300cc engine at idle so it is important.
    SummitCrazy
    12 Etec Summit X 162"
    Timbersled Mountain Tamer rear suspension,
    CarbonSled can

Post Thanks / Like

at idle it is called a stratified fuel charge, while off idle it goes to a homogenous fuel charge, hence the very specific piston shape, & fuel timimg is VERY important due to this to get the proper mixture (they have early & late injection, late is for idle & is very contained so it uses less fuel, just like a much smaller cylinder, hence the specific piston shape & injector location)
    2012 Summit X 800R Etec
    2009 Summit 800R (Billy Goat)
    1995 Chevy Camaro SS, a healthy 275 ponies
    1993 K1500, Somehow gets me to the hills, unfortunately hasn't left me there

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2500+ km's on my E-tec and it is getting pistons before plugs?? Anyway I do carry a set but never have used them. Sled started first pull after summer storage. This tells me the plugs can't be that bad. I guess I should put the new ones in after the break in. I got a nice little plug holder that fits nicely with velcro to the airbox, hanging above the clutch side. I can't send pics as it is in the shop for the recall. And the dealer said if I bought plugs from them (BRP) the are guaranteed to index properly at the proper torque. (Sounds a little fishy)
    Last edited by Teth-Air; November 2nd, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
    developer of the "Cordless Teth-Air"

see it at www.sourceinnovations.ca

Oil tank inserts, TKI Belt Drives, Cat Hood Hooks, Reversible Scratchers, XP Spindle Spacers and More!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teth-Air View Post
    I have 2500+ km's on my E-tec and it is getting pistons before plugs?? Anyway I do carry a set but never have used them. Sled started first pull after summer storage. This tells me the plugs can't be that bad. I guess I should put the new ones in after the break in. I got a nice little plug holder that fits nicely with velcro to the airbox, hanging above the clutch side. I can't send pics as it is in the shop for the recall. And the dealer said if I bought plugs from them (BRP) the are guaranteed to index properly at the proper torque. (Sounds a little fishy)

I'm sure if BRP can engineer innovations like electronic reverse, rotary valve induction and etec technology for snowmobile engines they can make a plug index properly. Just sayin.....
    Stop by for an ice cold Doolaide!
    2010 Shelby
    2014 Summit X 163 going
    2015 Summit X T3 174 coming
    Rider Shareholder/Owner
    Former SkiDoo MTC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snopro View Post
    I'm sure if BRP can engineer innovations like electronic reverse, rotary valve induction and etec technology for snowmobile engines they can make a plug index properly. Just sayin.....
    not arguing your point but it was implied to me that only plugs sold through the dealer are going to index and the exact same plug through other sources may not? Could be true but I question everything,
    developer of the "Cordless Teth-Air"

see it at www.sourceinnovations.ca

Oil tank inserts, TKI Belt Drives, Cat Hood Hooks, Reversible Scratchers, XP Spindle Spacers and More!

Post Thanks / Like

The recommended torque does not index your plugs do it the old fashion way, they are warrentied for 3yrs, and you should not have to replace them yet. The reason for the indexing and the tolerance is 90 deg inline with the injector is to insure the 1st pull start, nothing more, if the indexing is off than the sled may have to be pulled more than once to start it.
    I have replaced mine last year chasing a hesitation problem, the plugs almost looked brand new, dont bother doing this, if you dont have to. The mag side is a real pain and you need different tools to change it. the normal tool that comes with the tool kit will not do it.
    2013 Summit X Black 163, Roosterbuilt clutching, TKI Belt Drive, HPS can.
    06 Suzuki KQ 700 with EPI clutch kit, twin air intake, hmf swamp series exhaust and power commander chip

I didnt finish the rally
    Post Thanks / Like

ya they are on a 45 degree angle and a real PITA.

did you ever figure out your hesitation? id like to try your sled compared to our 2011 see whats up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teth-Air View Post
    not arguing your point but it was implied to me that only plugs sold through the dealer are going to index and the exact same plug through other sources may not? Could be true but I question everything,

Just drink the Kool-aid Chris. Lol.
    Stop by for an ice cold Doolaide!
    2010 Shelby
    2014 Summit X 163 going
    2015 Summit X T3 174 coming
    Rider Shareholder/Owner
    Former SkiDoo MTC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    ya they are on a 45 degree angle and a real PITA. did you ever figure out your hesitation? id like to try your sled compared to our 2011 see whats up.
    As of right now, no I have not. I'm going to try some different setups to load the engine more, I've been hearing something about "rate of rpm increase" that causes this hesitation.
    2013 Summit X Black 163, Roosterbuilt clutching, TKI Belt Drive, HPS can.
    06 Suzuki KQ 700 with EPI clutch kit, twin air intake, hmf swamp series exhaust and power commander chip

Post Thanks / Like

I got 4800kms on my xm and I am attempting to pull the plugs. Want to check compression since it is feeling sluggish (4800 is a lot on a 2 stroke). The one plug is definitely a PITA. What kind of special tool did you guys come up with? Pics would be great.