850 XP Polaris ?

H.C.

Reaction score
The neighbor put one in the garage the other day, I got to cruise it around the block a couple of times, Before he started crying about some stupid break in period rules. Here is my opinion
-out of the hole its 800 Renegade fast. I don't know about top end though
-soft seat
Dislikes:
-AWD, I like to control that type of stuff
-single brake for front and back. that right there ruins the machine for me.
-I ride a 750 brute and this quad seems to big to me
-I can go on and on about all the goofy crap I don't like about the way Polaris engineers stuff

I know this thing is a all new design but, I find that people either love or hate Polaris Quads, I do not care for them myself they just feel odd to ride to me

dirtydodge

Reaction score
Hey , I rode a buddies when it finally got in , he put 28 on it with spacers and is going to chip n pipe it soon . With out the toys This thing rocks , lots of power . I will buy one just so I can keep up . We went out with a pack of kowee's and he smoked all of em . And left me sitting at the gate with my 700 sportsman . If your looking to buy one , do it you wont be sorry you did.

atvmodster

Reaction score
I test drove one. Its a really nice machine! I like alot of things on it, but it dont have the power that my vtwin thundercat has. My 800 outtie felt more powerful then the xp.

dallasdaku

Reaction score
yea itsa can am killer so look out, as far as the new thundercats, icant honestly say. my old 06 800 was almost outdoing them canams at times. the big question is how much you wanna spens, polaris aint to pricey found em in regina for 10 200 cant go wrong guys.

atvmodster

Reaction score
Well i owned a can-am and i know for a fact that the can-am has more low end torque then the 850. Not dissing the 850 i think its a sweet machine but with the extra weight it does not feel as powerful as the outty does. The power of the 06 sportsman 800 does not come close to the outlander.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the new 850 doesn't have as low of gearing as previous 800 models so the canam probably does have more low end jump. the 850 engine does though have more horsepower. it is just hard to tell with the extra weight.

atvmodster

Reaction score
Ya they claim it has 70 hp. Which is about 3 more hp then the 09 can-ams. Its a nice machine thats for sure. In a drag its close to the can-am but not quite as fast.

cornicejumper

Reaction score
Just got mine about a week ago have 200 miles on it or so..Not to big on brand bashing every rider for his own. I bought the polaris because the dealer is good to me and i got a fair deal on it. As far as the machine i love it, the ride is awesome, power is good, stock tires suck , Does feel a bit big and heavy to me but thats prob to be expected since i spend alot of time on honda foremans at work. Have a buddy with a can am 800 but havent gotten to ride with him yet.. I do think the can am might take the polaris in a race, Have another buddy with the can am 650 that rode it said it had a way better ride and overall seemed alot smoother, also said his next one would be a polaris Just my 02
Also riding with the can am i noticed mine would lock up alot faster and not do the 3 wheel peel
Cornicejumper

atvmodster

Reaction score
Im sure you will love it! And i totally agree with the can-am 3 wheel drive. THe polaris has the edge with there true 4 wheel drive.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya they claim it has 70 hp. Which is about 3 more hp then the 09 can-ams. Its a nice machine thats for sure. In a drag its close to the can-am but not quite as fast.

How far are you drag racing ?? I have seen the 850 XP & the 800 H.O. Outlander drag, in a 10 second off the line they are both excactly the same , same rider weight etc. I do not know which will win in a longer race however....
It would be interesting to find which one is faster for top end speed on flat smooth ground.
Also does anyone know how the long term realiabilty is for the Polaris XP , i know they are new so it is hard to tell, but some people should have had theirs for 6 - 9 months or so.

dallasdaku

Reaction score
i culd care less bout the top speed my 06 800 has outperformed so many outtys and leave them hangin in my mud the next straight away they fly by while i drink beer, assholes. i know it when i see it. wouldnt pay more when i get more from the ol 800

atvmodster

Reaction score
There is a guy on forums called cc1999 and he owns everyone of the big bore atv's. He also dyno tunes them all. His 06 can-am 800 has about 44 hp(stock) at the rear wheels. His 09 850 xp has about 41 hp at the rear wheels STOCK and with the hmf pipe it gained one hp which brougth it up to about 42 hp at the rear wheels. He said one reason the pipe did not help the xp out much was because the bike was running a tad lean(needs fuel programmer). With a programmer you could expect another 2hp.The can-am and thundercat do not require a fuel programmer with just a slipon pipe. The thundercat was putting out about 48 hp (stock)at the rear wheels and went up to 51 hp at the rear wheels with a black magic pipe. Can-am claims the 06 outty has 62 hp (stock)at the crank. The thundercat has 68 hp(stock) at the crank. Polaris claims to have 70 at the crank stock. Either the xp looses a tone of hp in the driveline or they are bsing there 70hp claim. This guy that owns all the machines really likes his xp thow. It is one of his favorite quads that he ever owned and he really likes the powersteering. He also said on the dyno his xp hit 85 mph! He said it has higher gearing then the current 800 sportsman.

Rookie

Reaction score
thought i had my mine set on a Can am 800r to replace my Brute force but to have a 850 with power steering might be cool too. but it is a polaris and all my friends that have had one , all were lemons.they seem to make really good sleds but cant get reliability out of there 4 wheelers from my experiences anyways.

xp850

Reaction score
just wondering how the xp850 is on fuel can you go 100kms on 4.5 gals of fuel ??

cornicejumper

Reaction score
ive got one and in the mtns playin in the snow im gettin about 10-12 mpg out on the farm just crusing around im gettin 15-18 mpg

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were out last weekend seen a couple guys i know one had the new 850 xp and the other an 08 renegade the renegade was piped and chipped the polaris stock it killed the renegade in the drag race hands down 3 quad lenghts ahead of it

sdsyver

Reaction score
I have an 850 XP EPS and love it. The ride is great and the power steering is a wonderful thing. Tons of power. I am running 27" XTR's and it turns them without effort I was concerned about the weight as well so I put a 3500 lbs winch on it. All the mud holes are still frozen solid though so no need for it. I was riding an Outlander 500 and I can honestly say that I like the ride of the 850 better.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 850 XP EPS and love it. The ride is great and the power steering is a wonderful thing. Tons of power. I am running 27" XTR's and it turns them without effort I was concerned about the weight as well so I put a 3500 lbs winch on it. All the mud holes are still frozen solid though so no need for it. I was riding an Outlander 500 and I can honestly say that I like the ride of the 850 better.

To fit your 27" XTR's on the back did you use the 1" spacers or did you do the rear sway bar mod. or did you just get aftermarket rims???

Top Bottom