Avalanche Awareness Day Sat. Jan. 10/09

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Boulder Mtn. Sat. Jan. 10/09 10-2 at the cabin.
Everyone is welcome, come out and brush up on your avy training skills, learn what is new and see if YOU are prepared.
Poker rally, search demonstrations, new products and info stations on the hill.
Legion 6 p.m. auction, a presentation by Broza, talks from avy survivors, movies, dinner, drinks and live music (Smokey Pete and the Sled Shed Band).:d
Supposed to be a huge media event, if you or your group would like to help out contact Brent Strand, Canadian Avalanche Center (right here in Revy)
250-837-2435 ext. 225
They are still looking for items for the auction and needing help transporting media people up the hill.
Yamaha sponsors the CAC and will be donating some sleds for us to use, thanks.

snowzombie

Reaction score
What is the auction all about? Do the proceeds go to the club? just curious what your looking for in the way of items.
Has there been any thought given into tying in some type fundraising for the av victims from Sparwood.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well the beacon poker derby should be interesting, and is it all going to be in the field by the cabin?

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the auction all about? Do the proceeds go to the club? just curious what your looking for in the way of items.
Has there been any thought given into tying in some type fundraising for the av victims from Sparwood.

Good idea, double the trail fees and donate the extra proceeds. ;)

Would be a great idea if every trail booth did the same thing for a weekend or two.

:beer::beer:, AA

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Proceeds from the auction go to the CAC to provide us with more frequent avy reports, presently they are updated every 3 days.
Any items donated for the auction would be very much appreciated.
At 3 km. there will be an equipment check.
All the other stations will be in the field by the cabin.
Yes there has been some talk about a fund raiser for the families. Our next club meeting is Mon. Jan. 5 and the CAC will be there, your all welcome to attend, bring your ideas. You could also post up your ideas here so more clubs could get some ideas to do fund raisers in their areas.
Herbie will be doing the burger thing and all proceeds will be donated to the CAC on behalf of the RSC.
AA don`t think the doubling the trail pass fee thing would work very well, tough getting $15 out of some people these days. Maybe a donation box at the trailhead would get better results.
Thanks for your input everyone.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Lori and Randy from ZacsTracs are looking for 2 volunteers to help with beacon searches if you can help them out please contact mailto:lori@zacstracs.com
RSC club meeting Mon. Jan. 5 7:30 at the clubhouse on Powerhouse Rd.
Please attend and let us know if you or your group are able to help out by volunteering some of your time.

Read Lori`s post on SW about the questions/comments from the press this wk.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118783

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
The club will be donating $500 to the Sparwood Families, all proceeds from the burger sales on Avy Day will now be donated to the families. There will be a donation box at the trailhead and at the cabin.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
View attachment 2009 poster revy party.pdf
I`ll be shuttling people up the hill.
There are 4 stations for the poker rally 4 up top, you`ll roll when you complete stations and the 5th roll is at the Legion Sat. evening.
Equipment check 3 km.
Also at the cabin there will be hand out stations, equipment demos (bags, beacons, new products) snow studies, a mock rescue, beacon basin.
The people presenting this for us are
Canadain Pacific
Columbia Brewing Co.
CAC
MoSTA
MoE
MoF
Parks Canada
ZacsTracs
KBI
Revelstoke Search and Rescue
Yamaha Canada
Snowmobile Revelstoke Society
Revelstoke Snowmobile Club
Arctic Cat
Begbie Brewing Co.

There are more and I`ll have to add to list.

Jennifer from the CAC told us last night they were receiving 100 calls a day from all over the world for interviews with media after the accident. The Media is comming.
She said depending on avy conditions through the pass Parks Canada had or have plans to bring a Howlitzer to the parking lot. Where am I supposed to park that?

Come out everyone. See you at the "So You Think You Can Dance" contest.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Gromit still waiting for him to report me. ;)

A little more info about the after party.
$10 donation to get in.
The fund raiser is to provide us all with more frequent avy forecasts.
Free food as long as it lasts.
$4 for a big draft beer.
Lots of items have been donated for the auction but more would be always be appreciated.
Weather and conditions don`t look great so it will be a good day for everyone to come out and find out if you are prepared.
Hear the band likes their new name. :d
See you there. :beer:

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How was the awareness day? I wanted to go but could not, be nice to hear how it went.

AvyDaze

Reaction score
Website
www.avalanche.ca
A big thanks to everyone who volunteered and participated in the Avalanche Awareness Days event on Boulder! Special thanks to the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, Snowmobile Revelstoke Society, Yamaha, Artic Cat and to "Charles" in the tight houndstooth-plagued polyester pants for some good laughs at the fundraiser party. Our friends from Alberta couldn't make it ironically due to avalanche road closures, but it was a great event overall.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
I thought it was very well attended and yes thanks everyone who volunteered their day and oh boy was it a long day. :d
Would like to hear from the people who did attend/participate and hear what they thought and walked away with, could use it for future events.

My day started with meeting and helping bring up a large group of 1st time riders. Amber gave us all a lesson and got us up top safely, atta girl.
Rode up with Kevin from Yamaha, made me ride behind him said he couldn`t handle my 2 stroke smoke and he pulled his Polaris muscle starting my machine. But I got to lend Tim from Arctic Cat my tow strap to bring home one of his machines. :d It was that kind of day.

I have lots of stories, it was a good day. :cool:
Couple things that I did note were the instructors saying they did have some concern with the riders that did not have avy or survival equipment and then the riders that did have equipment but did not know how to properly use it.
I`m going to remember the avy forcaster at the fundraiser telling us we will see deep slab avy`s all season because of the cold weather couple wks. back sucked the moisture out of the low snowfall, the snow turned into to sugar and now it is loaded with big snowfalls. He mentioned the conditions in 2005.

Brent in the tight polyester pants was memorable for sure. Oh Boy those pants were tight, worried he might ignite when he ran around.

Veedy

Reaction score
Website
www.farwestfilms.com
Was a fun day and lots of events. Some great presentations at the party by Francois D and Kurt Broza, heart wrenching stories. Brent S was a howl in the poly " nut huggers " that dude has more energy than my 3 year old, lol. Never been in a building with more toques than that night *shiver*. Good times and a great fund raiser for a GREAT organization.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was a real great event, learned a couple things, was interesting to see how well rudy the avy dog found me so quick, thought he was going to dig right thru my jacket, and the fund raiser was awesome, was good to see all the outdoor snow people come together. and to pete's band pretty impressive.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Didn`t get lots of pics.
Here is Rudy waiting in the cabin while they buried you Dusty, it was her first snowmobile ride she shook for a while but then was ready to go. Heard they were burying a dummy. The ladies have been training the dogs since the spring down at the snowmobile club clubhouse. Great group the ladies and the dogs. :d

Jan. 2008 avy day 004.jpg

Here are some of our hamburger customers, we had happy burgers. So there was close to $300 in the donation boxes and hoping we made around $200 with the burgers so with the $500 donation from the club we should have around $1,000 to donate to the Sparwood families. Thanks everyone and thanks Veedy for making the posters. :beer:

Jan. 2008 avy day 006.jpg

Top Bottom