Xp summit with either a primary clutch issue or bad crank bearing

WH181

Reaction score
Was riding my sled last weekend and smelled my belt , I opened my side panel and noticed my primary clutch had bit of a bounce to it . I thougth maybe it was a bad crank bearing but I read if it was a crank bearing there would be isoflex grease on the the clutch and stuff . Compression is still good , would it be possible that something let go in my clutch ? And help would be great

WH181

Reaction score
Yup no signs of grease and the seal and stuff looked good , there was a little squeak coming from it as well , my sled has about 2000 miles on it . I checked my plugs and they look good so I hope it is just my clutch

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yup no signs of grease and the seal and stuff looked good , there was a little squeak coming from it as well , my sled has about 2000 miles on it . I checked my plugs and they look good so I hope it is just my clutch

You should do more than just look at it.... Pull the primary, pull the seal retainer and pull the seal. Check to see if there is any iso-flex in the bearing and re-pack it while your at it. Mountain sleds because they are under load and get hotter will displace the grease faster. Check the run-out on the shaft too....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
duck is right ya should be checking the grease n the seal as your in the mileage zone, but my money says yer bushings are shot. and check the primary cup also. good cleaning and absolutly no wobble is what ya want.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I just replaced the rollers in my 2010 with 5800 km's and not because they were wore out...just for good measure. The TRA will last a long time if kept clean. If your clutch is wobbling, its probably crank related.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the rollers in my 2010 with 5800 km's and not because they were wore out...just for good measure. The TRA will last a long time if kept clean. If your clutch is wobbling, its probably crank related.

if not, it probably is now if he rode it very far. once the clutch is off rather easy to check it out forsure.

WH181

Reaction score
I only went a km probably that day and when I noticed it I took the belt off and got towed back to my truck jus it cause it is the crank . I will take my clutch apart after work to check and go from there , hopefully it is just the clutch and if not looks like she will get a complete rebuild . Thanks for the help guys

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last spring had my XP out and i could feel a vibration form.. Stopped, checked for grease sprayed on the crank wiggled my clutches etc and all good.. Rode for another couple minutes and it got worse so stopped again to check it out, found a bunch of black pucks in the belly pan - all the rubber bushings blew out of my primary.. I wouldn't call it bouncing but b/c of the free play the clutch was able to flex in a couple directions.. Rode it out at a constant rpm, tore apart clutch and replaced pucks.. GTG..

WH181

Reaction score
So I checked my compression and 150 and 148 psi , when I turn my clutch slow I can hear something that is let go inside. Going to get a buddy's clutch puller tonite and take it off and check it out.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had a '12 etec in the shop that had .038"+ runout.....yes, the decimal is in the right place. The end of the crank was far enough out that the clutch was actually hitting the plastic below! And it still ran and no grease from the seal. It was fairly low miles too. Warranty.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I checked my compression and 150 and 148 psi , when I turn my clutch slow I can hear something that is let go inside. Going to get a buddy's clutch puller tonite and take it off and check it out.

use the water method way easier, less stressful, easy peasy. very easy.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have bad vibration in my rev. Rebuilt motor and pulled clutch tonight. Shivs were not lined up. One of the arms was almost seized. Bushing worn. Only about 500 k since last clutch job. Wondering what everyone is using to clean inside of clutches ? Brake clean ? Can a guy sand blast them? If you do probably have to replace all pins and bushings?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had a '12 etec in the shop that had .038"+ runout.....yes, the decimal is in the right place. The end of the crank was far enough out that the clutch was actually hitting the plastic below! And it still ran and no grease from the seal. It was fairly low miles too. Warranty.

i agree may very well be crank, but ya have to pull the dang clutch to prety much check runout, thus ya may as well pull clutch apart and check crank at the same time. sure hope it is the clutch though.

Top Bottom