whats the fix for 2010/11 primary's

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys been reading that the 2010 and 2011 m8's are notorious for having there clutches blow apart, and spider's cracking..
what is everyones fix for this?

tchriste

Reaction score
I have a 09 M8 which I installed a P-85 on. At 750 miles my stock clutch had worn pins and rollers so I installed new ones but I was a bit worried about all the reports. Then one of the guys I ride with had his spider break on a 2010, luckily he was just getting on the throttle and there was no damage however I decided I didn't want to deal with the issues around towing out and potential for major damage to my sled so I converted a P-85 to work on my Cat. I now have 1200 miles on the P-85 and it works great. I had the taper rebored for Cat, reset the belt clearance for an 046 belt (0.020) set the off set the same as Cat (1.655) and have been loving it. I go through my clutches once a week to make sure all is well and have never found any issues. This last weekend I measured my belt and it was still at 1.415 (width) same as when I installed it 1,200 miles ago. My riding is boondocking, climbing, and lots of open meadow donuts, downhill power turns etc. There is a group in Washington that do the conversion and sell a complete kit FXMotorsports I believe and Curt is the man to talk to if this is something you don't want to do yourself. Buying the complete kit is expensive, however it's a complete kit and the clutch is fully rebuildable. Cheers

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my 2011 M8 new last year and the spider cracked after 200 miles. They pulled a clutch off another 2011 and I now have 1700 miles on the new clutch and it's still running like a dime.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just cracked my spider on my stock 11' HCR with 80 hours, not sure of the mileage. Luckily it wasn't catastrophic or a chopper ride out. I'm sending my primary into RacinStation in the U.S for a rebuilt primary with a billet spider. I won't use a stock 2010/11 primary again. There's a poll on Snowest showing 41% of 2010/11 owners have cracked their spiders. Definitely a known problem. Shame on Cat for not recalling these clutches.

Top Bottom