What gear/tools are in your backpack?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
neilsleder;2010829................... As for strike anywhere matches make sure they don't rattle around to much they can start on fire by rubbing together. My mom had that happen to her with them in her purse. [/QUOTE said:
This is true, so I make sure they are tight and I have a small piece of tissue stuffed in there to take up any slack. Those friggin' Coleman windproof matches are a joke. Somewhere, I have a small butane lighter also. I don't like getting close to gas soaked sticks and trying to use the lighter. Much easier to light with matches.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is true, so I make sure they are tight and I have a small piece of tissue stuffed in there to take up any slack. Those friggin' Coleman windproof matches are a joke. Somewhere, I have a small butane lighter also. I don't like getting close to gas soaked sticks and trying to use the lighter. Much easier to light with matches.

Lighter works fine as long as you pick up one stick then light it and toss it at the pile lol I've seen guys try to light it on the ground and it usually ends up with singed arm hairs

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Inreach or a Sat phone is a good piece of gear to bring along depending on where you are riding. I'm looking at the Spot sat phone, not that much $ and sure would bring some piece of mind if anyone gets hurt way back.

I've started renting a sat phone from the communications group quite often and especially when we go out in bigger groups or for longer trips. Very cheap to rent for a week and they only charge air-time if you use it. Just have to be prepared with local RCMP numbers, hospital numbers, helicopter companies, etc. on a printed phone list in a zip-loc bag.

I've packed around a SPOT for years, but it's turned into more of a check in message for my wife to be happy and to know that all is OK. We've used it in an emergency situation, but the response time is really slow compared to a sat. phone and calling direct.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At cabelas they have these tiny roll up sleeping bags about the size of a pop can or a bit bigger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the stuff that might have not been mentioned

Spare Batteries for GPS if GPS Runs on batteries
Phone List with important Contact numbers
Small length of electrical cable for fixes
Electric Tape
Spare rear Idler wheel since most of our machines are only running one rear idler (I’ve used this more than you’d think)
Extra Crescent Wrench
Vice Grips
Magnet
String
Tyvek Suit (It packs super tiny)
Spare Hose Clamps
Various Metric Bolts/Nuts/Washer (Had to ride a Timbersled skid out of middle of nowhere for 10 miles one year because front arm bolt backed out with no replacement)
Good quality zip ties
Orange flagging tape ( can see it from quite a distance)

My riding group laughs, but I’m the guy who usually has half a sled of parts packed away but have learned the hard way many times

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've started renting a sat phone from the communications group quite often and especially when we go out in bigger groups or for longer trips. Very cheap to rent for a week and they only charge air-time if you use it. Just have to be prepared with local RCMP numbers, hospital numbers, helicopter companies, etc. on a printed phone list in a zip-loc bag.

I've packed around a SPOT for years, but it's turned into more of a check in message for my wife to be happy and to know that all is OK. We've used it in an emergency situation, but the response time is really slow compared to a sat. phone and calling direct.

That's cool, renting one wouldn't really work for me though. I've been looking at the Spot sat phone, its only 500$. Not sure how much $ the plan is, but I wouldn't be doing a lot of talking on it, just for emergencies.

Rust

Reaction score
Good thread.

Where can one pick up a good wood saw that's not huge and bulky but will still cut down a tree or branches? I was going to check out the shovels with the built in saws but I have a feeling those saw blades would be on the thin chitty side and barely cut snow.

Also a recommendation on a decent multi tool/knife?

Stihl, Either the folding or the longer non-folding one. Both are Awesome, sharp & durable!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic I snapped on the weekend of my pack.
Shovel
Probe
Spare Goggles
Shop Towel
Dehydrated meals
Powerbar
Flares
Waxed Cardboard (firestarter)
Small First Aid kit
Small survival kit
- firestarter
- spork
- duct tape
- survival blanket
- whistle
- string
- zap straps
- compass/signal mirror
- small shelter
- fire reflectors
- Flint and steel
Head lamp
Bivvy
Wool socks
Fleece long johns
Omni Heat mid layer
Heat pads

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No room for probe and shovel in there. Haha
If look close you'll see the probe sleeve in the pack, shovel goes on the outside. Also on the outside is my beacon and a leatherman. It's a damn heavy pack lol. Tools and lunch go in the tunnel bag.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Nobody has listed dryer lint in here! crazy. Super easy to compress and pack around and GOOD LUCK putting it out once you light it up. a must for a bag.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride DOO but its always handy to have the POO quick drive belt changing tools and know how to use them.....

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also some hand cleaner wipes. I carry quite a few of them in a zip lock freezer bag, Great for after wrenching especially if you have ever had to change a chain on the hill. And some extra large freezer bags for dirty rags,leftover parts even exploded belts that you don want to throw in your pack. And don't forget the crazy glue for open wounds.

Top Bottom