Went sledding today west of caroline, not great but not bad.

Big Jay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unloaded at rig street and went west across trunk road over marble mountain and back around to the south. Came back up the pipe line to our truck reload and headed home. About a foot of snow, just enough not to destroy your sled. I did learn one thing to day, i will never go back to a old school sled. My bud had his 1996 RMK out with us and all i can say is watching that thing on the trail reminds me why i went to a newer style sled.:d

denseleit

Reaction score
What do you mean by older sled??? Pre 19...... I just bought an 01 zr 600, needs a track but looks like it would be decent to ride? Help me out a bit??

Big Jay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL hahahah just a personal choice thing thats all. I have a messed back and i dont mountain sled so my machine is set up as wide as it can go and i am running fox shocks in front to stiffin my front end. Mines a 2006 M7 running high gears(more for trail riding then mountain climbing) and a few mods, D&D pipe with a boon docker and a few other things. Hes is running a 1996 RMK 670 punched out with a big bore kit and old school upgraded racing shocks and a 144 paddle track and i run 153 paddle track.

Heres the thing about the difference in machines, when riding uneven trails, in and out of gullys and turning and working your way through the trees his machine is a hand full. The futher up we climbed going over marble mountain the shitter his sled ran. It's tippy and just a lot of work to ride. My machine just floats over everthing and is very very stable. I can side hill where he cant even think of going.

When riding normal trails and the pipe line and such his sled is a good and super fast sled. But when riding off trail and fresh trails he was struggling all day. I am sure his suspension could be tuned better and set up better but it will never be what the newer sleds are.

I have no idea on a zr 600 it may be a sweet ride on the trail. I had a 2004 RMK vertical exscape before my arctic cat and i loved it and it was a sick ride on the trail and handled like a dream. But i spent weeks changing and dialing the suspension and up grading shocks to get my RMK the way i wanted it. My M7 i tossed fox shocks on the front, new skis and maxed out my rear suspension and done.

I here the newer sleds then my 2006 arctic cat are even a better ride then mine.

NOW TAKE ALL THAT BS i posted above and toss it aside. Almost Any sled can be made into a good machine and with some research can be improved and set up to your own liking. Some sleds are just junk and thats where it ends. My bud had a 2001 Yamaha venture (i think but it was yamaha) and it was a pile to ride and nothing he tried ever made that a decent sled. It was tippy and choppy and he changed set up after set up. New skis and shocks and all kind of stuff and nothing helped that sled.

Top Bottom