TRA Clutch disassembly

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just been working on installing a rooster built kit in my XM. Got the secondary done with little trouble, when i got the primary popped off i've been having a heck of a time separating the sheaves. I've gave the bolt a few pretty stiff whacks with the hammer, even flipping it and smacking it on the floor with no luck. Any ideas on what else i can do?? This is my first time dealing with the Doo clutches, i left my last two stock. Thanks in advance for any help.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dropping on the puller head on a concrete floor has always worked for me. You shouldn't have to drop it more than a foot.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3 on JMCX's post. Straight onto the concrete with nothing in between. I was beating on mine with a mini sledge last year and it wouldn't separate. Friend came up flipped it over and dropped it on the concrete from about 4". Separated right away.

Last edited:

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure to also replace your bushings. They wear out very quickly and will cause a wobble in your primary. Governor cup bushings are a nightmare to press in without damaging the new bushing.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure to also replace your bushings. They wear out very quickly and will cause a wobble in your primary. Governor cup bushings are a nightmare to press in without damaging the new bushing.

The hole kit with new cup, buttons,orings, rollers and pins is around $150 why would you even bother trying to press in just a new bushing? Sliding half bushing I could see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hole kit with new cup, buttons,orings, rollers and pins is around $150 why would you even bother trying to press in just a new bushing? Sliding half bushing I could see!

Is this a stock BRP kit or aftermarket? I could not find a kit that had the upgraded aftermarket bushings and rooster built did not have them at the time when I spoke with Paul and Dave. I did not want to put the stock bushings back in from BRP.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this a stock BRP kit or aftermarket? I could not find a kit that had the upgraded aftermarket bushings and rooster built did not have them at the time when I spoke with Paul and Dave. I did not want to put the stock bushings back in from BRP.

Its a BRP kit. There is nothing wrong with the stock BRP bushing kit.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a BRP kit. There is nothing wrong with the stock BRP bushing kit.

The stock BRP bushings are terrible. Mine were gone at just over 1000 kms and I know this is a very common problem for the xp tra clutches. Primary starts to get a wobble and squeak when they are gone. I have a 12 xp so maybe BRP has upgraded the bushings for the xm. I am not certain about that.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's a stock brp part. So I guess that in your case it won't work.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stock BRP bushings are terrible. Mine were gone at just over 1000 kms and I know this is a very common problem for the xp tra clutches. Primary starts to get a wobble and squeak when they are gone. I have a 12 xp so maybe BRP has upgraded the bushings for the xm. I am not certain about that.

Both of my xps I had 2000+miles before I changed them. Wonder if it has anything to do with crank runout.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both of my xps I had 2000+miles before I changed them. Wonder if it has anything to do with crank runout.

Well speaking with Paul and Dave at rooster built and ken at specialty apparently this is a very common problem with the tra clutch. After the aftermarket bushings were installed I have never had a problem since and I put 3000km after the bushings were swapped. No wobble, no noise and zero issues. Just to be safe I swapped to all aftermarket clutch parts once I put the rooster built in. I love the clutch kit now. Super strong, snappy and great bottom and top end. I will never run a stock tra clutch again. Just my opinion.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That I am unsure of. I bought them from specialty in Edmonton. If you call ken he would be glad to tell you the name and the quality difference.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He had both in his hand went he showed me and the BRP bushing look like a cheap nylon/plastic looking bushing and the upgraded ones are def heavy duty with some type of Kevlar or something in them.

Clay911

Reaction score
Not sure who Hi Torque gets them from but they offer a bushing for sliding sheive for the Primary and the bushings for the QRS only one they don't is the spring cup. Still waiting to install so we will see quality difference this year.

Installing on a 14 with 2100km that needs them bad.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure who Hi Torque gets them from but they offer a bushing for sliding sheive for the Primary and the bushings for the QRS only one they don't is the spring cup. Still waiting to install so we will see quality difference this year.

Installing on a 14 with 2100km that needs them bad.

Did you also get a bad wobble and chirping sounds?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He had both in his hand went he showed me and the BRP bushing look like a cheap nylon/plastic looking bushing and the upgraded ones are def heavy duty with some type of Kevlar or something in them.

Generally they get the bushing from BRP, it is just the ones used in the 600rs race sleds. I had one installed in the big bore, to be honest they don't last that much longer.

Top Bottom