Toyota To Pay Up To $3.4 Billion To Settle US Truck Lawsuit

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Toyota will pay up to $3.4 billion to settle a class action lawsuit brought by U.S. pickup truck and SUV owners whose vehicles lacked adequate rust protection.
Court filings show that the settlement reached on October 31 covers 1.5 million vehicles, dealing a financial blow to the Japanese automaker whose trucks were subject to corrosion that could harm their structural integrity.
The settlement applies to Tacoma trucks made from 2005 to 2010, Sequoias from 2005 to 2008 and Tundras from 2007 to 2008.
The settlement estimates the value of replacing the frame at roughly $15,000 per vehicle. Under the settlement, Toyota will inspect vehicles for 12 years from their initial sales or lease date to decide if the owner is eligible for a replaced frame or reimbursement.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Toyota will pay up to $3.4 billion to settle a class action lawsuit brought by U.S. pickup truck and SUV owners whose vehicles lacked adequate rust protection.
Court filings show that the settlement reached on October 31 covers 1.5 million vehicles, dealing a financial blow to the Japanese automaker whose trucks were subject to corrosion that could harm their structural integrity.
The settlement applies to Tacoma trucks made from 2005 to 2010, Sequoias from 2005 to 2008 and Tundras from 2007 to 2008.
The settlement estimates the value of replacing the frame at roughly $15,000 per vehicle. Under the settlement, Toyota will inspect vehicles for 12 years from their initial sales or lease date to decide if the owner is eligible for a replaced frame or reimbursement.

yep it's sweet. Got my call today that my frame is starting production. Along with frame I get all new rear suspension. Completely new front a arms. All new wiring harness and brake lines. Estimated at 19000 to do the replacement. I've been waiting 7 months for all this so the guy that called today figured another month. Then a full week in Toyota to do the swap. Going to be a brand new truck when it's done. Pretty good for a 2005 with 268000k

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
yep it's sweet. Got my call today that my frame is starting production. Along with frame I get all new rear suspension. Completely new front a arms. All new wiring harness and brake lines. Estimated at 19000 to do the replacement. I've been waiting 7 months for all this so the guy that called today figured another month. Then a full week in Toyota to do the swap. Going to be a brand new truck when it's done. Pretty good for a 2005 with 268000k

That is sweet!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why hasn't ford been sued for the faulty 5.4 and 6L engines?
What is wrong with the 5.4. My wife ran hers to 280,000 km with an honest 6 oil changes. She's bad for that. My 2001 expediton is at 260,000 km And still runs great. I use it for painting and can put 20 five gallon pails in it. Neither truck even leak oil.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with the 5.4. My wife ran hers to 280,000 km with an honest 6 oil changes. She's bad for that. My 2001 expediton is at 260,000 km And still runs great. I use it for painting and can put 20 five gallon pails in it. Neither truck even leak oil.

No kidding. My 06 has 378000 km on it. Went through my wife. My oldest daughter, and now my youngest daughter just turned 16 and she's driving it now. It won't die lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Depends on the year but the cam phaser issue should have been recalled from the start. Had a few in the family '08 5.4 ( basically still ran at 120,00k but barely) '09 that sounded like a 7.3 starting up at -40..engine replaced and the new one started banging again at 50k and the lovely '06 that sounds like it's outta oil with how badly it ticks and knocks.
I drive some chevy 6l's at work and some have over 480,000km without a tick a knock..nothing.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Cam phasers were on the '04 and up 3 valve (24 valve) 5.4L. If you went with thicker oil from the get go, you may have had great luck.

Seems like some are great, and some are terrible.

I'd guess that 280K with 6 oil changes might have been a GOOD thing. That oil would have been like tar, rather than piss thin 5w20.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my company has a fleet of tundra and tacomas. At least 2 tundras in that time frame and about 8 tacomas. Wow.

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the recall will come to Canada also hmmm well see i guess .

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Hopefully the recall will come to Canada also hmmm well see i guess .

Pretty much sounds like it. team dirt is from Brooks.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
my company has a fleet of tundra and tacomas. At least 2 tundras in that time frame and about 8 tacomas. Wow.
You should have gotten a letter already. The campaign ended in march of 2016 for the taco's. Mines an 05. Originally it was for frame inspection but if there was holes it got bumped to a frame replacement. My driver side motor mount pushed through the frame and my fan started hitting the shroud. I called Toyota to b!tch and they said there were no issues and it must be abuse. This was about 4 years ago. So I jacked the mount up till it popped back into place and welded it up. Then I get this letter for a service campaign about frame rust and inspection. Mine got bumped to the higher level for full replacement after it went in for the inspection. The dealer told me the campaign was done this march and once the numbers were in for how many frames they needed they would build them. Now end of November I get a call from dealer in Medicine Hat that they are just confirming I still need frame as they are starting production. Now they figure one month for parts to arrive. With this I get a ton of new stuff. Also anything that breaks coming apart is replaced. I asked for a buy out check but they won't buy out. Want these trucks on the road. Either way I win I suppose.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Oh and by the way this truck will be for sale when done. I bought the wife a new SUV in march and pulled this truck off the road so nothing bad could happen to it and screw me before I got it fixed. Will be asking 12,500 if anyone is interested. It's a crew cab with the long box and has air bags with pump and the gauge and controller in the cab.

Last edited:

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
td does yours have a lift ? the kids '05 rusted in the same place but they denied him back in may cause he has a suspension lift
dealer here sucks cause the lift has nothing to do with it

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
td does yours have a lift ? the kids '05 rusted in the same place but they denied him back in may cause he has a suspension lift
dealer here sucks cause the lift has nothing to do with it
Mine just has 1 1/2" blocks on top of the struts to level it after I installed the air bags. I put an arb bumper on it and they were saying that might affect it but it didn't. Call Toyota Canada and fight till you get the right person. They haven't built the frames yet so there could be a chance still. March 15 was the deadline but from what my kids have taught me, cry till you get what you want. Good luck!!

Top Bottom