Todays muck around

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No injuries and nearly no damage to the truck, and no damage to the sleds. About a good of an outcome as you could want. We called a couple recovery companies, but they weren't interested in coming up. Had to get crafty.
1000009711.jpg
1000009713.jpg
1000009714.jpg

Rn4

Reaction score
Pretty sure everyone that didn’t have their chains are throwing them in the truck when they get home, and those that don’t have are buying some when they get home. Sure happy I had mine for when I needed them.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you chain up do you do all 4 wheels or 1 front 1 back or 2 front or 2 back
I chained up both rears because the v-bar chains will do damage to the front of my truck. After this experience, I'll be picking up a set of low profile chains to run on the front as well to help steer.

Although I'd prefer to park before we need them in the future.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is an excellent question…

I personally have multiple sets, different sizes for trucks with different tire sizes over the years….

But.. if a person only has 1 set, & assuming a 4wd, the chains should always go on the front tires. Especially when you are putting them on ahead of time prior to the wreckage…

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That one time I needed chains going up Owlhead where were they? In the box of my truck! Got lucky and slid it in the ditch going backwards and was able to steer it into the hill side ditch. Chewed it's way out with chains on front wheels but never again. Gotta drive up when there is ice rain and snow putting them on at the bottom.

Glad you guys got it out with out any damage or injuries.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is an excellent question…

I personally have multiple sets, different sizes for trucks with different tire sizes over the years….

But.. if a person only has 1 set, & assuming a 4wd, the chains should always go on the front tires. Especially when you are putting them on ahead of time prior to the wreckage…
Can't speak for all, but most newer Chev/GMC's can't take chains on the front due to clearance and the manual specifically states no chains on the front or the rear. Still, low profile might fit the front if you are careful, but I would take V-bar rears over low profile fronts.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have always carried a set of chains with me but have never had to use them run a ford super duty 4x4 with a sled deck with studded winter tires with the 2 sleds holds the road but never have gone on a ice covered steep trail so chains might be the trick but will keep caring them just in case

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not to de-rail the thread but we have all had our moments on those wonderful logging roads and this would have been a drop of about 700’ through some regen pine. Since this incident, I have always carried chains. Never had to use them, but then again, I stay pretty close to the staging areas after that scary ooops.

IMG_0848.JPG

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can’t remember what year it was but about 20 years ago. We drove up to km 20 or something with a 30’ foot trailer. This was up to the top of eagles with a Ford Dooley chained up. One day we rode past dark. During the day it melted and made mud and re-froze. Even with chains on all four corners, we were berming the switchbacks as fast as you could turn the wheel. I still fart when I think about that trip down. Lol

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you did one front one back you wouldn't have much luck unless you have lockers. I broke a chain one time and that side would spin, chain side wouldn't do anything.
I'm a rear only guy, use them quite often Plowing snow.
Log trucks mostly on rear maybe one on the front to steer, sometime trailer chained too.

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's scary for sure,good to have lots of snatch blocks for the winch,they cheap and easy to use multiple

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
have always carried a set of chains with me but have never had to use them run a ford super duty 4x4 with a sled deck with studded winter tires with the 2 sleds holds the road but never have gone on a ice covered steep trail so chains might be the trick but will keep caring them just in case
Better to be looking at them, not for them. Just like beers!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What type of winch burnt out, ifs its Warn it has warrantee. I have a WARN EVO 12000 lb winch, would be crummy if that burnt out pulling out a truck.

Glad you got out, sure that put a dent in the day.

It's a warn
Not sure what size

Top Bottom