To the guy in the 4 wheel drive....

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have heard the gm auto transfer case in the 1/2 tons had some issues with it

Pump rub and clutch failures generally from excessive use of auto and never changing the oil. Dodge uses them as well.

Encoder motors too as well as the dash buttons but that is not mechanical failure.

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
And your rear diff's spider gears will look like mashed potato if you do that enough times. Especially if your Titan in an 04-06 model. The 07 up Dana 44's are a little tougher.

07' and I have made it past the 90km bench mark safe and sound...... 250k on the old girl now and still spinnin and spittin rocks like a mofo

Meyer907

Reaction score
Your transfer case sees 90% of your power whenever you mash your foot to the floor board regardless of 2x4 or 4x4. If its spinning in 4x4 ease off and start again. If a hot girl is near by then smash the skinny on pedle and let er rip cause we all know hot girls like that.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
07' and I have made it past the 90km bench mark safe and sound...... 250k on the old girl now and still spinnin and spittin rocks like a mofo

Now you just need to do the burnout mod like I got my buddy to do on his 07 and show the world that one tire fire prowess.... Provided you haven't already, lol.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless the pavement is dry, I keep mine in Auto 4W.
I've only had one time with my truck going sideways on me and I was in 2 wheel drive.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are currently 14 users browsing this thread. (13 members and 1 guests)

• +,

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People do need to learn how to use 4x4 properly as Daveb said.
the never SUV vehicle or truck with auto 4x4" with awd using computer control system work well to adjust traction.

i go to a lot of accidents all year. Some people are poor drivers.
in the winter poor driving and crappy tires are a big issue. People need to drive to road conditions..

also get good tires..

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pump rub is irrelevant to 4x4 use, happens just the same when not in 4x4.

Never once said it did have dick all to do with it, so let's be clear shall we. It happens when the wear plate on the case half falls out of position allowing the pump to wear through the side of case. Awesome problem they more or less have never rectified. At least the problem solving wear plates sold are pretty cheap.

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
People do need to learn how to use 4x4 properly as Daveb said.
the never SUV vehicle or truck with auto 4x4" with awd using computer control system work well to adjust traction.

i go to a lot of accidents all year. Some people are poor drivers.
in the winter poor driving and crappy tires are a big issue. People need to drive to road conditions..

also get good tires..
and quit texting while driving

Meyer907

Reaction score
Wasnt trying to correct you or come out like that and appologize if taken that way. Was just stating for the guy who is going to reply with I dont use my 4x4 because of pump rub.... you know that statment in this thread is comming.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasnt trying to correct you or come out like that and appologize if taken that way. Was just stating for the guy who is going to reply with I dont use my 4x4 because of pump rub.... you know that statment in this thread is comming.

True. So I half arse explained it above for those that don't know. And edited the post so it doesn't read like I am mad or something, lol. :)

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I agree with the fact that alot of people simply don't know how to drive in the winter. My first vehicle was an 1983 mustang(rear wheel drive), had it for a few years and never had a problem, went down highway 16 into Edmonton everyday. Throttle control and good winter tires and being very aware of the road conditions is the key. Since then I have driven nothing but 4x4 trucks but hardly ever used 4x4, only in the city or on the country roads when they were snowbound. Now with the AWD RAV4 I can't control the 4x4 feature but I still drive for the conditions. In my 30 plus winters now I have yet to end up in the ditch.

And the vehicles that I see I see in the ditches are mostly SUV and 4x4 trucks, and all of them were driving to fast, I bet.

You can't stop stupid, I just hope stupid never runs into me.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this 25yr plus year trucker turns the switch when the roads look extra shiny, I drive the same, and I think the 4X4 works best when going uphill. I believe many accidents of fishtailing (rear wheel drive) and "losing it" happen when the rear tires are just turning a little (slightly spinning) faster than road speed, (without any reason for the driver to notice) a posi diff will have those drive wheels spinning together but not hooked up to the road... the azz end can kick real quick, I just watched a head on 2 weeks ago WED. I'm sure if the guy who lost it had turned the switch it would not have happened.

They were both driving on stupidly slick ice through Fort St John in @ 70 kmh zone both in thier left lanes on a 4 lane HWY, (both of them running against each other on the yellow line with no other traffic) had they been in the right lanes this crash resulting in serious injuries and totaled trucks probably would not have happened. Stay away from on coming traffic as much as you can.

P.S. I wish we could get rid of YRB, our local (horrible) HWY contractors, they make no effort until winter, that starts Nov. 1st, (serious) until then the body count and property damage is just statistical. SAD

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Badass69...sounds like you are one of a few auto techs on here...is it a good idea to change this wear plate on a truck before damage is done to the case? Say if a guy intends to keep a truck for a while...when should the plate be changed?

(I intend to mile the livin' hell outta this 2010 1/2 ton...I HAD intended to do the same to my 06, but a poor windshield replacement left me with rust starting on the roofline, so it had to go...it had 200,000+k on 'er with regular fluid changes...no t-case issues)

Last edited:
Top Bottom