Thinking of building a sled deck

Ram

Reaction score
Way to go Whopper809 !
Don't need it to be retractable , or it'll be off the truck in minutes !
Thanks a lot for sharing !

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is there anymore pics of homemade decks out there? What are key features to put into a deck? Looking at picking up a used homebuilt. Just want to know what to look for, safety, road legal,(max length, max width)

Are you guys able to pull a trailer aswell as sleds on the deck?

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is there anymore pics of homemade decks out there? What are key features to put into a deck? Looking at picking up a used homebuilt. Just want to know what to look for, safety, road legal,(max length, max width)

Are you guys able to pull a trailer aswell as sleds on the deck?

Look at the welds, aluminum is known for cracking after a while. you need side clearance lights, amber up front and red rears, plus 3 rear clearance lights.

My bro and I are just putting the finishing touches on one. We built with a crane so no ramp. I only have a few pics. One of the nice things is all the room under the deck.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 833
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 810
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 803
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 801

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curious how do you load sleds and quads with just a jib crane onto a deck. I see the pipe mount for the crane mast I like your deck pictures. It looks the lightest I have seen.

Look at the welds, aluminum is known for cracking after a while. you need side clearance lights, amber up front and red rears, plus 3 rear clearance lights.

My bro and I are just putting the finishing touches on one. We built with a crane so no ramp. I only have a few pics. One of the nice things is all the room under the deck.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curious how do you load sleds and quads with just a jib crane onto a deck. I see the pipe mount for the crane mast I like your deck pictures. It looks the lightest I have seen.

My bro has pics of it with a sled loading up. Should have them up in a day or so.

We don't have a quad, but I think it should be very similar loading just that you would need a strap rigged up to pull from above the center of gravity. I'll have to find someone with a guinea pig quad.

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
Don't have any pictures of it off the truck right now, might be able to get some later though. I made this deck this fall. Steel, with 12" folding sides, 16" beaver tail, 9' deck, 8' ramp, old bed liner for ski slides, and extruded headache rack. Materials, including shop supplies cost me about $900, and the bullet hinges are greasable. I made it with the folding sides instead of telescoping after struggling with a friends deck. I wanted it to fold so because I drive into some tight places for work and I needed it to be narrow when no sleds were on.

Jason Elliott's Photos | Facebook

Last edited:

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres some pics of ours with a machine on it.

Advantages:

No ramp
Superior cargo space
Angled corners

024-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

025-1.jpg

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
We built this one last year...we are still tweaking it, but it worked real well...

In the shop now, putting bigger legs on the rear, and moving them back further. We built it based on a Chev, and I need the legs further back on the Dodge, and wider stance. We are also building brackets under the box, it will bolt in this year.

Attachments

• P1000565.JPG
    P1000565.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 766
  • P1000562.JPG
    P1000562.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 772

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey do u have plans for your crane. how tall is it.

I'll get my brother to take a measurement or 2. The horizontal arm is telescoping, we weren't sure what would be the best length. New plan is to mount the winch right up on the top so the cable only has to make 1 bend. That will also make it easy to pull the whole crane and lay it over when there aren't any sledding trips upcoming. It looks nice and stealth but still a little worried about parkades, garages etc.

collins590

Reaction score
Mb1 what size aluminum tubing did you use for the frame, looks like 2" but I'm not sure. Also What 2 sizes did you use for the slide and are they a snug fit? And if not how did u make them snug?

Thanks

Brians04

Reaction score
just curious what width you guys are making the decks? I was lookin into buying one, but dont have that kinda cash in the budget currently, but have a welder and enough skillset to build one.

Are there any downloadable plans or anything to use as a sort of general base idea that you could customize to fit your needs?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
just curious what width you guys are making the decks? I was lookin into buying one, but dont have that kinda cash in the budget currently, but have a welder and enough skillset to build one.

Are there any downloadable plans or anything to use as a sort of general base idea that you could customize to fit your needs?

I couldnt find any I liked, so we designed our own. Used an STF as the starting point and then custom from there...

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a deck that needs to be finished . i want what i have in material $400 780 515 1324 chris

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 629
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 633
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 627
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 626

Brians04

Reaction score
i have a deck that needs to be finished . i want what i have in material $400 780 515 1324 chris
Thanks for the offer, but i'm down south of the border from ya and rarely ever make it up there.
what thickness tubing did you use out of curiosity?

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep ..... long way to go to get a deck thats for sure . i did not see where you live . it is made out of .065 wall .... very lite

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mb1 what size aluminum tubing did you use for the frame, looks like 2" but I'm not sure. Also What 2 sizes did you use for the slide and are they a snug fit? And if not how did u make them snug?

Thanks

Yes 2", and I can't remember the other, 1-1/2 or 1-1/4. They aren't snug, but when they're not extended the wood keeps everything snug, and when they're extended the weight of the rail and wood alone keeps them from moving much, then when a sled is loaded obviously nothing moves.

I believe the max width you can run on the highways is 8', I think the max width of ours is 70.5".

I'd sell mine if anyone's interested make an offer. 1 yr old baby now I doubt I'll make it to the mtn's at all.

edit. Just saw over 10,000 hits on this thread. wow.

dirtryder

Reaction score
How did you mount it to the bed and did it sit directly on the top of you box or was there a gap so it doesnt rub?

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bolts through the legs, made sure that they would go through the "c" channel that supports the bed. I put a small chunk of rubber under each leg, and those 4 places are the only contact to the truck.

Top Bottom