suspension or longer track

XP154

Reaction score
What is the best fix to reduce trenching on a hill climb? I have a 08 xp154 and I am going to change the track to a camo extreme but am wondering if I should turn it into a 163 or do a suspension upgrade? I am not concered about the trail rides but am more concerned about gettin the high mark and playin in the trees. I am about 6'3' and 205# w/o gear.I can hardly keep my front end down the way it is right now. I did not have my limiter tight all the way but will have it tight for the next trip.I know this will help but will it be enough?

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your current track is exactly the same as a Camo extreme but it is a 2.3 lug not a 2.5.... thats not a much of difference and would be a waist of money if you ask me for around $1000. Your trenching problem is improper suspension setup but the stock suspension is no good either. The best mod for the price would be the Racers Edge rear arm, it removes the rear shock and springs from the skid and it replaces it with a different setup that makes it more like an M10. Sled to sled comparison with the arm and without it's night and day, you will not believe how they climb. If money is no option then theres always replacing the whole skid for Racers Edge entire M10 or a Holz setup (Alpha X). As far as the track goes it's only going to dig you a bigger hole but it will take you furthur. New rear skids like m10 and holz also give you more suspension travel and lighten you up which is nice. With the added travel this will raise your running boards out of the snow which also helps alot. Either way you go, make sure read about setting up your suspension for mountain riding it makes the difference from being the low mark or the high mark, wheeling or climbing.

Good luck

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo you have the Racers Edge suspension

What are the people who have spent the 2,000 dollars saying

Your comments will be appreciated

birdie

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No i don't myself but i ride with a few guys that do, i also got a chance to see Bakers sled work a few weekends ago when i rode with him, that thing flat out RIPS !!!

It makes the back of your sled stick straight up, even when sitting on it there is no sag, if you push down on it hard it springs right back and no sag. Sag is what kills your climbing and makes you trench. For a VERY informative video i suggest you watch Timber sleds video on how their suspension works compared to stock it's CRAZY !!! all after market suspension aim towards the same thing. Keeping that track on the snow as much as possible and the tunnel up in the air.

Timbersled Products this is the video i speak of. The guy doing the talking is very dry and some what annoying but just watch it anyways :p

Good luck !

XP154

Reaction score
Your current track is exactly the same as a Camo extreme but it is a 2.3 lug not a 2.5.... thats not a much of difference and would be a waist of money if you ask me for around $1000. Your trenching problem is improper suspension setup but the stock suspension is no good either. The best mod for the price would be the Racers Edge rear arm, it removes the rear shock and springs from the skid and it replaces it with a different setup that makes it more like an M10. Sled to sled comparison with the arm and without it's night and day, you will not believe how they climb. If money is no option then theres always replacing the whole skid for Racers Edge entire M10 or a Holz setup (Alpha X). As far as the track goes it's only going to dig you a bigger hole but it will take you furthur. New rear skids like m10 and holz also give you more suspension travel and lighten you up which is nice. With the added travel this will raise your running boards out of the snow which also helps alot. Either way you go, make sure read about setting up your suspension for mountain riding it makes the difference from being the low mark or the high mark, wheeling or climbing.

Good luck
Thanks for the info, who sells this stuff in alberta? I know complete skids are exspensive but if they are that much better then stock it sounds like to me that this would be a better mod then alot of the other mods that are out there, like pipes, bb, airboxes etc.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i rode with a 174 xp today! completly stk, motor wise! that thing was incredable! i couldnt believe where it could climb!

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maverick, AJ's susp on the XP sucks and we need to do something. Way too much sag. Good thing he is light. It is like the shock was shot. I know junk skid. For the time being what if we just put a good set of shocks under it and upgraded the skid next year..

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maverick, AJ's susp on the XP sucks and we need to do something. Way too much sag. Good thing he is light. It is like the shock was shot. I know junk skid. For the time being what if we just put a good set of shocks under it and upgraded the skid next year..

The season is pretty much over my man, to spend coin on shocks and then get a new setup that might possibly come with shocks. To go with the Baker rear looks pretty simple to install, probably easier than replacing or rebuilding shocks then reinstalling them. I have seen NEW XP's with blown shocks right outta the box or what appear to be blown shocks.

[media]http://www.extrememachines.ca/images/sp17.JPG[/media] this is a picture of the Racers Edge Rear arm that solves all the XP's crap suspension issues. hard to find one installed.

Top Bottom