Supplimental Cab Heater?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 08 1 ton. I haven't entirely made up my mind yet on the make, but it will be a CC diesel and it will have all options less DVD and Navigation. Anyone have a factory installed supplimental heater? How does it work? Is it worth the $300 - $400?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have the Supplimental Cab Heater in my 08 Ford, I would recommend it highly. Its not a rear heater it justs puts out alot more than the regular heater, and its easier to do that now than later.

Also If your thinking of the other options, I would and would not get again.
NOT- Backup sensors - Screw up alot in the winter, pain in the butt.
NOT- Traction Control - Useless option

DO- Navigation System - Awsome
DO- Dual Alternators - Good when you have a trailer
DO- Rear Stableizers - A cheap option
DO- Rear tailgate step - Awsome
DO- Trailer towing mirrors and trailer brake pkg - Awsome
DO- Rear box extenders - Cheap option and handy

Here is my option list not all are on here as they include some of them in different packages

Attachments

• sticker2.jpg
    sticker2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 125

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see they've left out the fuel economy stats... any guess as to what they might be?

I have the Supplimental Cab Heater in my 08 Ford, I would recommend it highly. Its not a rear heater it justs puts out alot more than the regular heater, and its easier to do that now than later.

Also If your thinking of the other options, I would and would not get again.
NOT- Backup sensors - Screw up alot in the winter, pain in the butt.
NOT- Traction Control - Useless option

DO- Navigation System - Awsome
DO- Dual Alternators - Good when you have a trailer
DO- Rear Stableizers - A cheap option
DO- Rear tailgate step - Awsome
DO- Trailer towing mirrors and trailer brake pkg - Awsome
DO- Rear box extenders - Cheap option and handy

Here is my option list not all are on here as they include some of them in different packages

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I see they've left out the fuel economy stats... any guess as to what they might be?

They don't include those with the Diesels. My truck only has 20000 km so I cannot really comment on Fuel economy but its going up my average right now is 13.9 City and Im not sure on the highway yet as I have just pulled the trailer only on the highway. I now chipped it to help with fuel economony.

Otherwise getting back to the supplimental cab heater, I would not forget to add this to the option list if you live in Canada or the Northern USA.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

With the ptf in all the new trucks, milage is definetly taking a hit. However, I need a 1 ton or better to haul my toys, so what ever fuel economy I get is the cost of play.

I have spoke to alot of guys with 08 diesel trucks, most didn't realize a suppliment heater was an option so other than Ron's comments I haven't been able to get any feedback. Thanks Ron.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They don't include those with the Diesels. My truck only has 20000 km so I cannot really comment on Fuel economy but its going up my average right now is 13.9 City and Im not sure on the highway yet as I have just pulled the trailer only on the highway. I now chipped it to help with fuel economony.

Otherwise getting back to the supplimental cab heater, I would not forget to add this to the option list if you live in Canada or the Northern USA.

Man, I hope that 13.9 is l/100km and not mpg. I get about 10 l/100km highway and about 13 city. I get about 13 -15 l/100km with two sleds on the deck highway (depends how fast I go, speed really affects it with the sleds on). I have an 03 CTD dodge though.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge has a good proven summential cab heater it more like a furnace it's made by espar i've thought about one myself, This is the same on used in big trucks Its diesel fired and will keep the cab warm while the engine is off. I 'm not sure if dodge offers espars engine heater. I don't know what the other brands are offering.
What brand are you looking at? I'm pleased with my fuel milage with mine so far considering the DPF on the exhaust, But I only have 13000km on mine so far and the milage is improving slightly, I don't regret my purchase now,( I did at first) I understand how the emmisions system works now and with some updates done and it not a big deal I get almost 20mpg unloaded during the winter, which is not bad concidering the fuel that gets dumped into the exhaust to clean the DPF during the colder months

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 08 1 ton. I haven't entirely made up my mind yet on the make, but it will be a CC diesel and it will have all options less DVD and Navigation. Anyone have a factory installed supplimental heater? How does it work? Is it worth the $300 - $400?

I dont find the cab heater actually does anything, when i first start the truck on a cold day, say -15C, with the fan on high it blows a cool breeze nothing warm at all!!!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have a Hydronic 5 espar heater the dealer Polar Mobility would not sell me the 4 as they said with the price difference and what the 5 does over the 4 and they had some issues with the 4. I just removed my espar from my GM and will be installing it in the Ford. The 08 Ford seems to warm up very well and alot quicker than the GM I have.

Garry's was question was in regards to the Supplimental Cab heater option in the 08 F350 which is just a better heater system to provide additional air to the cab.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garry's was question was in regards to the Supplimental Cab heater option in the 08 F350 which is just a better heater system to provide additional air to the cab.

Oh my Bad, I though we were talking about adding cab heaters so the truck didn't have to idle, Sorry, and that was a old brochure I''m not sure what Dodge is offering lately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I activate the exhaust brake on mine and idle my truck at 1200 mine warms up very fast

BIGFOOT

Reaction score

Oh my Bad, I though we were talking about adding cab heaters so the truck didn't have to idle, Sorry, and that was a old brochure I''m not sure what Dodge is offering lately.

Still good info to share, Thks ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding is there are two OEM installed systems. Dodge and GM sell supplimental heaters as an OEM accessory, while on the Ford it is a factory option.

The Dodge heater is a Mopar accessory that is a rebranded Espar, I believe. It produces heat by burning diesel and does not require the truck to be running. I have been told that by turning on the exhaust brake and setting high idle, the Mopar unit is not needed.

I know that in order to factory order the supplimental heater in the GM or Ford, one needs to also take the high idle option and either dual alternators or the 180 or 200 amp alternator upgrade. The system does not work unless the truck is running, so I have assumed that these systems are using an electric heater to suppliment the heat output of the coolant heater. Might be a bad assumption though.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont find the cab heater actually does anything, when i first start the truck on a cold day, say -15C, with the fan on high it blows a cool breeze nothing warm at all!!!

What make of truck do you have?

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can purchase the "Espar" heaters at Cummins on 182St & 118 Ave, Edmonton.

You're right; by setting the high idle and turning on the exhaust brake, the truck warms up faster than a normal warm-up routine.

On the other hand, if your truck is not running 24/7 during the winter, the espar heater would be the way to go. Fuel consumption is minimal when the heater is running (based onthe data sheets I've read). The vehicle would need to be outside due to the exhaust factor...

My understanding is there are two OEM installed systems. Dodge and GM sell supplimental heaters as an OEM accessory, while on the Ford it is a factory option.

The Dodge heater is a Mopar accessory that is a rebranded Espar, I believe. It produces heat by burning diesel and does not require the truck to be running. I have been told that by turning on the exhaust brake and setting high idle, the Mopar unit is not needed.

I know that in order to factory order the supplimental heater in the GM or Ford, one needs to also take the high idle option and either dual alternators or the 180 or 200 amp alternator upgrade. The system does not work unless the truck is running, so I have assumed that these systems are using an electric heater to suppliment the heat output of the coolant heater. Might be a bad assumption though.

.08rider

Reaction score
Back up camera is a must!! I have the ford 350 Harley and it has the back up camera and I can back up to my trailer first time every time,awesome for anyone who trailers on a regular basis.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back up camera is a must!! I have the ford 350 Harley and it has the back up camera and I can back up to my trailer first time every time,awesome for anyone who trailers on a regular basis.

The Ford dealer ordered me a F350 to my specs and I did include the camera. Figured it that option was a lot cheaper than the divorce I am going to go through if Kim has to keep lining me up.:eek:

Top Bottom